Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 16, 2010, 3:06 PM   #1

Default A ZD lens you may never have heard of

at least, I never had - it's not in their roadmaps nor on the Oly USA web site.

It's a 17.5-45mm f/3.5-5.6 ZD. Apparently it was only sold in Japan, but B&H has some factory refurbished ones here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...uiko_Zoom.html

It's slow but compact (~2.75" length and diameter) and inexpensive. I haven't found a review of it but as we know, Oly hasn't made bad ZD glass. You can see an image of it here:

http://lensbuyersguide.com/en/lens/s...-45mm_f3.5-5.6

Ted

PS: I'm still waiting for Scouse to tell me how the Orca trolling went.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Aug 16, 2010 at 3:12 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2010, 3:51 PM   #2

I've definitely heard of it...it was the kit lens that first sold with the E-500 SE kit. In case you've never heard of the E-500 SE, the E-500 SE was a cheaper kit that didn't have a BLM-1 or charger...instead it had a PS-LBH1 battery holder that held three CR-123 non-rechargeable lithium batteries instead. For a lens it had the 17.5-45mm that had a plastic mount, instead of the metal mount 14-45mm, and no 40-150mm.

The 17.5-45mm was lambasted by Oly users (including myself) because it was the first "E" lens that had a plastic mount...before that lens all of the "E" lenses including the 14-45mm and 40-150mm Mk1 had metal mounts...it was something we could brag about and hold over the heads of N & C users, so that's the reason Oly users were upset.

After that they redid the kit lenses with plastic mounts and made them smaller and lighter...the 14-42mm and 40-150mm MkII.

So now you know its history.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
I've definitely heard of it...it was the kit lens that first sold with the E-500 SE kit. In case you've never heard of the E-500 SE, the E-500 SE was a cheaper kit that didn't have a BLM-1 or charger...instead it had a PS-LBH1 battery holder that held three CR-123 non-rechargeable lithium batteries instead. For a lens it had the 17.5-45mm that had a plastic mount, instead of the metal mount 14-45mm, and no 40-150mm.

The 17.5-45mm was lambasted by Oly users (including myself) because it was the first "E" lens that had a plastic mount...before that lens all of the "E" lenses including the 14-45mm and 40-150mm Mk1 had metal mounts...it was something we could brag about and hold over the heads of N & C users, so that's the reason Oly users were upset.

After that they redid the kit lenses with plastic mounts and made them smaller and lighter...the 14-42mm and 40-150mm MkII.

So now you know its history.
Thanks, Mike. I have an E-500 that I bought years ago, pretty much the instant it became available, and never saw the SE option (I was happy with my E-20 but wanted an interchangeable lens Oly DSLR).

Other than the plastic mount, do you know whether the lens was any good?

Ted
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:13 PM   #4

[QUOTE=tkurkowski;1130094

Other than the plastic mount, do you know whether the lens was any good?

Ted[/QUOTE]

See this review at Biofos.com:

http://www.biofos.com/esystem/1745test.html

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:24 PM   #5

In the recent past, KEH has had a few second-hand copies of this lens for sale.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:44 PM   #6

Thanks guys - I can really count on you.

What's going on here for me is that my brother has become a worse victim of the current recession than I realized. I just found out that he wasn't able to keep his DLSR camera gear. So I'm sending him my E-500 along with the subject lens when I get it from B&H, just to get him going again. I'll try to get him a longer zoom in the future. But that will wait since I just made a few car payments for him so his truck wasn't reposessed.

Jeeez - what a time...

Ted
Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Thanks guys - I can really count on you.

What's going on here for me is that my brother has become a worse victim of the current recession than I realized. I just found out that he wasn't able to keep his DLSR camera gear. So I'm sending him my E-500 along with the subject lens when I get it from B&H, just to get him going again. I'll try to get him a longer zoom in the future. But that will wait since I just made a few car payments for him so his truck wasn't reposessed.

Jeeez - what a time...

Ted
Ted: good luck to you and your brother.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:16 PM   #8

I seem to recall that it is mentioned in the E-500 user manual but can't find my copy right now.

And I second what Steven says, times like these we all need to pull for each other.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 5:55 AM   #9

Thank you both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
And I second what Steven says, times like these we all need to pull for each other.
John
And not just for economic reasons, unfortunately. I mentioned over in Gary's M1A1 tank thread, that my father was a tank commander in WW2. Just after the end of that war, Martin Niemöller who was an anti-Nazi Lutheran pastor and ended up in being imprisoned in a Nazi concentration camp for his political opposition, gave a speech about the rise of the Nazi party. The speech became the motto of many WW2 veterans, who felt they were fighting to stop tyranny. When I was a child my father taught the speech to me. My father is politically extremely conservative and never thought anything like what happened in Germany in the late 1930s could happen in the USA. But a few days ago he reminded me of the speech, because he was upset about the opposition to the Islamic Center near ground zero in Manhattan.

Here is what Pastor Martin Niemöller said:

"They came first for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."
Old Aug 17, 2010, 6:21 AM   #10

Hi Ted,

I have also read parts of this speech.

Thanx for the reminder.

By the way, I sent you a pm. Didn't know if you caught it yet.
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote