Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:22 PM   #1

Default Flying dragonfly

Or hovering at least. It was a weekend to shoot bugs and the ponds I have been shooting baby Wood Ducks on (honestly some of the cutest creatures you'll ever see) are full of dragonflies now, some of whom are either curious about me or don't mind my presence and like the bugs that find me. Even then, boy are these buggers to shoot. Done with the E-1 and Tamron SP 80-200/2.8 at 200mm ISO 800 and cleaned up with Topaz.

John
Attached Images

jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2010, 8:08 AM   #2

Hey John: that is an unusual and impressive shot. I've tried to catch a dragonfly in flight before, but had no luck. Well done.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 2:02 AM   #3

Thanks Steven. I didn't plan on shooting it, but when the chance presented itself I had to take it. I on;y wish I had had more time, I might have done even better.

John
Old Aug 20, 2010, 3:38 PM   #4

Always fun to try those shots isn't it John? and that one isn't bad.

Baby Wood ducks, the cutest creatures. Every spring the wood ducks think my yard is a gathering place we get up to 30 of them and they even end up on the bird table but they're the most skittish of birds and quick. I've taken the screen out of the bay window closest and will insert a piece of carboard in with a cut out for the lens next spring.

I built a nesting box for them 2 years ago, they looked interested for a while but didn't use it. That would have been fun. Wouldn't it be great to catch them launching out of there for their first flight...er barely controlled fall..

Last edited by Scouse; Aug 20, 2010 at 11:07 PM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Always fun to try those shots isn't it John? and that one isn't bad.

Baby Wood ducks, the cutest creatures. Every spring the wood ducks think my yard is a gathering place we get up to 30 of them and they even end up on the bird table but they're the most skittish of birds and quick. I've taken the screen out of the bay winder closest and will insert a piece of carboard in with a cut out for the lens next spring.

I built a nesting box for them 2 years ago, they looked interested for a while but didn't use it. That would have been fun. Wouldn't it be great to catch them launching out of there for their first flight...er barely controlled fall..
Yeah, it was fun. I have seen nest boxes around the pond so I assume they are being used. What I find so sad is that the little ducklings seem to have a very poor survival rate. Out of at least 3 sets i had seen I have seen one survivor the last couple of visits. Of course the fact that momma lets her little guys just swim around wherever they want by themselves makes me wonder if maybe Wood Ducks aren't just really bad at parenting.

Boy I'd love to see them come out of the box but that would mean spending days waiting and w/work that isn't practical. I'll have to settle for watching them paddle around.

John
Old Aug 21, 2010, 1:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Baby Wood ducks, the cutest creatures. Every spring the wood ducks think my yard is a gathering place we get up to 30 of them and they even end up on the bird table but they're the most skittish of birds and quick. I've taken the screen out of the bay window closest and will insert a piece of carboard in with a cut out for the lens next spring.

Hey Guys: speaking of ducks, can you identify what kind of ducks these are? Several times a year, I get two pairs of these ducks who stop at my pond, but only stay for a little while. I rarely see ducks in my pond, and thses do not appear to be local. The two males have bright yellow eyes, and the two females have darker red eyes. Can anyone identify them?

Old Aug 21, 2010, 2:26 PM   #7

Those are Hooded Mergansers, or 'hoodies' for short. I have yet to get a good shot of a male, the ones I see are all much too nervous. If you ever get the chance try to get a shot of one from behind, they have a hell of a mohawk.

John
Old Aug 21, 2010, 3:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Those are Hooded Mergansers, or 'hoodies' for short. I have yet to get a good shot of a male, the ones I see are all much too nervous. If you ever get the chance try to get a shot of one from behind, they have a hell of a mohawk.

John
Thanks for the info John. and you are right about the Mohawk. I looked thru the shots and did have one where the female had her head turned away and you can see it.

Last edited by Steven R; Aug 21, 2010 at 4:11 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 3:22 PM   #9

John is right again!

Those are male and female Hooded Mergansers.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 4:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
John is right again!

Those are male and female Hooded Mergansers.

Zig
Yeh, they're really similar to the Buffleheads we get up here. They vacation in Florida as well.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote