Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 19, 2010, 8:28 PM   #1

Default Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away (OT)

But they did - Kodak stopped production last year and the only lab that can still process Kodachrome will cease that production at the end of this year. So in memoriam, here's some Kodachrome 64.

Give us those nice bright colors

Give us the greens of summers

Makes you think all the world's a sunny day

I got a Konica camera, I love to take a photograph

So mama don't take my Kodachrome away

(A 30-foot raft going through Lava Falls on the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon. I was on the next raft that went through...)

(Monument Valley, Utah)

(Another one of Bryce Canyon)

Thanks for sharing my nostalgia.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Aug 19, 2010 at 8:30 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:43 PM   #2

Nice pics Ted. Bryce and Zion were only a couple of hours away when we lived in Utah as was Arches but still I want to go to Monument Valley. Perhaps next spring.

Took a lot of Kodachrome. I guess Paul Simon was ahead of his time..
Still have an old trunk stuffed with slides. Late next winter when it's cold and hard out, I'm getting a slide scanner to put them on disc/ext storage.

We used to know who our real friends were when sitting through 1,000 slides of Nepal...

Funny, just last Friday I was chatting with my daughter, the one in China. We're going to meet up in Todos Santos in Baja in December. She was asking about the Kodakchrome I took of them when they were kids....They're in the trunk!

Last edited by Scouse; Aug 19, 2010 at 9:50 PM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Nice pics Ted.
We used to know who our real friends were when sitting through 1,000 slides of Nepal...
Hah! I know what you mean - I tortured a lot of friends before I learned to cull the slides down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Still have an old trunk stuffed with slides. Late next winter when it's cold and hard out, I'm getting a slide scanner to put them on disc/ext storage.
I'm very happy with this Reflecta CrystalScan 7200. It's much more cost-effective than the Nikon Coolscans, which skyrocketed in price after Nikon ceased production of them last year. Only problem with the Reflecta is that they don't have a distributor in North America so you have to get it shipped from Germany which takes a looooong time for some odd reason.

Ted
Old Aug 20, 2010, 4:06 AM   #4

Hi Ted,

What a wonderful way to wake up to seeing your images of some places that I've been to and would like to someday return.
For now, looking at these photos will have to do.

While I never did go down the Colorado on a float trip, our family did make a stop at Lee's Ferry while traveling from the North Rim to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. We got there in time to see a float trip head out. The photograph of the float raft is awesome but somewhat deceptive, as you know, they are quite large. I was really amazed at their size.

Our family still talks about the ' Griswold" All American Vacation that we took over twenty years ago. 8 days and 1850 miles. It was a trip of a lifetime.

Thanks for sharing your memories.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2010, 5:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
The photograph of the float raft is awesome but somewhat deceptive, as you know, they are quite large. I was really amazed at their size.
Yes, I know that most folks looking at that photo won't really understand what's going on there. It would help to know that that raft is the size of an urban bus (although not as tall), and the front one-fourth of it isn't visible in that photo - it's inside the wave.

If you ever get a chance to go down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon, don't hesitate, just pack and go. It's the trip of a lifetime.

Thanks for sharing, Zig.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post

I'm very happy with this Reflecta CrystalScan 7200. It's much more cost-effective than the Nikon Coolscans, which skyrocketed in price after Nikon ceased production of them last year. Only problem with the Reflecta is that they don't have a distributor in North America so you have to get it shipped from Germany which takes a looooong time for some odd reason.

Ted
Hi Ted: give us some more details about this unit, where you got it and how much it costs.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Hi Ted: give us some more details about this unit, where you got it and how much it costs.
OK. I wanted a dedicated slide/film scanner rather than a flatbed scanner (which is most commonly used) for 2 reasons: I don't have the room in my home office for another large item, and I had a bad experience with slides scanned by the only pro photo shop left in the DC metro area, which uses a flatbed.

I knew the Nikon CoolScans were regarded as the best but as I mentioned, they've gone from some $1500 retail last year when they were still being manufactured, to well over $2000 now. I didn't want one that much.

The most common affordable scanner sold in the US seems to be the Plustek. For some reason I just had the feeling I should find a review of it before buying one. After some searching, I found this site dedicated to reviews of slide/film scanners:
http://www.filmscanner.info/en/Films...tberichte.html

Their tests indicate that the Reflecta CrystalScan 7200 is quite a bit better than the Plustek, and isn't all that much more expensive. Swallowing any suspicions I had about a German review site finding that a German scanner was better than an Asian one, I purchased it through Amazon-uk which recognizes US Amazon accounts. I have subsequently learned that Lasersoft Imaging sells them in the US. I paid a little over $400 including shipping, plus another $10 at RadioShack for a power plug adapter since the power supply in the unit had a UK plug. (I don't know why I had assumed that because they were shipping it to the US they would have provided a US power supply. But that wasn't Amazon-UK that was the vendor they used, which is in Germany.)

It is a very good scanner but does take a bit of practice learning the settings. It is, after all, a digital imaging device.

Ted
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:23 PM   #8

I have a Plustek 7200 that sits and gathers dust. I find it too slow and the results to be not worth the effort. Just shoot them. That's the great thing about a DSLR, it's easy to get the right equipment to set up an esy and quick way to photgraph slides. I don't own any of the kit lenses but I imagine that one fo them combined with the ex-25 would do nicely. The 70-300 might work by itself in macro mode. Then either get a light box or rig up some other light source. I like using a slide projector bounced off whiteboard. Once you get the hang of it it's easily the fastest way to digitize, just shoot all slides in the landscape position and rotate as need be.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2010, 2:24 PM   #9

Just took a quick look at a review on the 7200. Sounds interesting. oogled and foled myself with this...from the UK.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reflecta-Cry.../dp/B000FWGWCS

I suppose next time I'm over there, but that's next year. Or send my cousin the money to get it.

I might just have to try john's way as an experiment in the meanwhile. Especially seeing it takes the scanner approx 3 minutes a slide.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2010, 2:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
I have a Plustek 7200 that sits and gathers dust. I find it too slow and the results to be not worth the effort. Just shoot them. That's the great thing about a DSLR, it's easy to get the right equipment to set up an esy and quick way to photgraph slides. I don't own any of the kit lenses but I imagine that one fo them combined with the ex-25 would do nicely. The 70-300 might work by itself in macro mode. Then either get a light box or rig up some other light source. I like using a slide projector bounced off whiteboard. Once you get the hang of it it's easily the fastest way to digitize, just shoot all slides in the landscape position and rotate as need be.

John
Sorry, you and I are just 'gonna disagree on this. Try digitizing this photo the way you suggest:

Good luck.

Ted