Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 21, 2010, 7:43 PM   #1

Default Never try to change lenses shooting birds

I learned a pretty good lesson today. I went to monitor the Osprey's Nest this morning in the hopes of getting a few decent pics. The chicks are now fledglings and hunting on their own.

Set up the E-30 with the 50-200mm + EC20. One of the fledglings was in the nest. The other was nowhere to be seen. I believe the adults have left the nest as I haven't seen them in over a week.

You can tell an adult vs a fledgling by the color of their eyes. Adults have a yellow eye while the fledgling has an orange eye.

The young Osprey didn't do much but sit there for around 20 minutes. I had hoped to catch him or the other in flight.

I decided to change lenses and go to the 70-300mm with the EC14 to see what I could get for a sharp image as it was very bright and sunny this morning.

Just as I started to change lenses, the bird decides to up and fly away. Drat!!
I'm trying too get the 70-300mm combo on the camera and the fledgling decides to fly back to the nest.

I finished just in time to raise the camera to my eye focused and fired away. Unfortunately, this is the best shot I got.

I don't think I'll ever try and change lenses while I'm waiting for a bird to take flight .

Yikes

Zig
Attached Images

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2010, 8:42 PM   #2

Good words to live by.....Nice pose..

I think that's happened to all of us at one stage. My "Change lens" moment came years ago when I first took the kids to Disneyland. They were breathless with excitement watching the parade when the fairy queen and pluto came over and gave the girls a hug and a swirl into the parade.

Me, I was changing lens's
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:19 PM   #3

Almost had the exact thing happen today. I was using my 600mm combo but with the fading light I decided it might be time to go back to the 80-200/2.8 and start to head home when a Belted Kingfisher started to buzz around me. Thankfully I hadn't started to change the lens. Got me thinking about how i could carry 2 camera/lens combos effectively and be able to switch between them w/o a major lot of fumbling. My photog vest is great for a lot of things (even if it does make me look like a dork) but not really for a second camera with lens attached.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 6:33 AM   #4

Yup, I've had the same thing happen to me, Zig. Ticks ya off, don't it?
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 8:55 PM   #5

This is much better than I imagine the story to be. I thought either...1) you dropped something (camera? lens? ...) in the process of switching lenses in a hurry or; 2) the naughty bird crapped right on/in the camera as you removed the lens from it.

See? It could be much worse, Zig! The shot is not bad considering the circumstances!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 10:52 PM   #6

At least you have a good story & moral to go with the image now.
Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:09 AM   #7

Hi guys,

thanx for all the comments and support.

Tullio, thanks for letting me see the positive side of the tale
Your post reminds me of last year when I was monitoring the same nest. One of the Fledglings grew tired of my presence and flew over head. He tried to swoop down over me but a couple of power lines got in his way(I think). He was headed straight at me and then either saw the lines or just decided I wasn't worth bothering with. He veered off, turned and then hovered about 40ft over me. I decided it was time for me to get back in the car.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
This is much better than I imagine the story to be. I thought either...1) you dropped something (camera? lens? ...) in the process of switching lenses in a hurry or; 2) the naughty bird crapped right on/in the camera as you removed the lens from it.
This is EXACTLY what I thought when I read the title as well
Facebook

Olympus E30 | Zuiko 50-200mm SWD | EC-14 | EC-20| EX-25 | FL-50R
piXelatedEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:09 AM   #9

Hi zig: Listen, I would be jumping for joy if I got even one Osprey shot as good as the one you posted.

Maybe I'll try constantly changing lens, and my luck will change. Those birds are constantly fishing in my pond, but I've yet to get a shot of them.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
... He was headed straight at me and then either saw the lines or just decided I wasn't worth bothering with. He veered off, turned and then hovered about 40ft over me. I decided it was time for me to get back in the car.

Zig
Some birds can be quite aggressive indeed. I was vacationing in Tahoe early this month and the hotel was right on the beach. The pathway leading to the beach passed through a couple of trees where blackbirds nested. Every morning as I walked to the beach, a couple of birds would fly down right at me (they made me spill my coffee the first time) over and over again until I was far enough not to impose any threats. Eventually I decided to change route!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote