Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 8, 2010, 9:53 PM   #11

I had the advantage of working with the TIFF that I developed so I had more to work with than Zig. I like my bird better but I think I overdid the contrast. It's a common problem for me coming from the sort of studio work I did that was always high contrast. Just need to relearn somethings I guess.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Yes, attached images seem to be degraded here. The links to Smugmug, etc. work much better. The image of the WWII watchtower I posted is very different on my computer screen.

Ted

Not trying to hijack thread. Just a comment

I seem to have a problem when re-sizing most of my pictures
to post here . The origional is 4.1 mb Jpg is Ok to good , but after resizing to 800 X 600 250 kb , the IQ goes down. Sometimes very noticable.

Last edited by FredS; Sep 8, 2010 at 10:58 PM.
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
Not trying to hijack thread. Just a comment

I seem to have a problem when re-sizing most of my pictures
to post here . The origional is 4.1 mb Jpg is Ok to good , but after resizing the IQ goes down.
No worries, I use photoshop elements to resize and then use the 'save for web' option to cut down on the file size. What are you using?

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 11:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
No worries, I use photoshop elements to resize and then use the 'save for web' option to cut down on the file size. What are you using?

John
I am using a program called Pix-Resizer. A freebe
I just got Photoshop Elements 2 from a friend. A Licensed copy.
I will have to play with it and try it for Re-sizing

Thanks for the VERY quick reply

Fred..

EDIT
I just tried Photoshop Elements 2 'save for web' option
Another problem solved
Thanks very much jelow1966.

Fred..

Last edited by FredS; Sep 8, 2010 at 11:11 PM.
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 11:53 PM   #15

I've always used Picasa to re-size my photos to post here. I choose custom 600 x 100% or sometimes if that's too much then I lower to 95%. Most of the time I end up with an image that's about 200K (give or take). The thing is, Picasa does not seem to degrade the image (at least not to visible levels) while some other softwares I used before, do.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 1:55 PM   #16

Zig, you're probably running into the file size limitation, 256K. If you exceed that the photo is automatically severely compressed. Your version is 128K while the originals were 192K and 252K. Check the file size of your edit, if it's over 256K the texture was lost in the extra compression. JimC has posted about this "feature" which also strips the EXIF data as well.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 9:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac.smith View Post
Zig, you're probably running into the file size limitation, 256K. If you exceed that the photo is automatically severely compressed. Your version is 128K while the originals were 192K and 252K. Check the file size of your edit, if it's over 256K the texture was lost in the extra compression. JimC has posted about this "feature" which also strips the EXIF data as well.

A. C.
A.C., the images often are degraded even if the attached file is less than 256K.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
A.C., the images often are degraded even if the attached file is less than 256K.

Ted
An native JPEG Fine file from my E620, simply resized to 800x600 and minimal addition compression seem to come in just under 400K. It takes additional compression on my part to get it under the 256K limit so it it will be slightly degraded compared to the appearance of the resize as it appeared when I did it. Initially (several mos. ago) when uploaded an ~400K file the attachment function whacked the file down to 64K (it may be less aggresive now) which affected the appearance of fine texture dramatically as well as stripping the EXIF data. The loss of texture in the feathers is here matches what I've seen when changing even the in-camera jpeg compression ratios.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I've always used Picasa to re-size my photos to post here. I choose custom 600 x 100% or sometimes if that's too much then I lower to 95%. Most of the time I end up with an image that's about 200K (give or take). The thing is, Picasa does not seem to degrade the image (at least not to visible levels) while some other softwares I used before, do.
Picasa works for me also, I keep them at 800x600 at 100% (jpeg) and they work quite well.

PIXresizer isn't bad if you specify 800x600.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote