Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:11 AM   #1

Default Kingfisher at 600mm

I recently added a Kenko 1.5 TC to my collection so combined with my Tokina 400/5.6 i now have a servicable 600/8 combo. No, it's not as fast or sharp as I'd like but it's decent for the money and very portable. The light was fading as I took this so it was shot wide open which is not the sharpest with this lens. Earlier test pics with a Mallard showed more promise but were a bit dull to share. Anyway, enjoy. I'm sure this combo will get lots of use in the coming months, especially if I get an AF confirm adapter for it. Shot with the E-1 at ISO 800 and cleaned up with Topaz. Had issues with the neck feathers being blown out which is partly why the image is darker than I'd like.

John
Attached Images

jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:31 PM   #2

I have a Kenko 1.5x converter (Pentax mount). It's decent as long as there's enough light. With the exception of the two Oly converters, I find most other converters to affect image quality negatively (at various degrees depending on the converter). I can only imagine how noisy the original image is considering you've cleaned this one up.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I have a Kenko 1.5x converter (Pentax mount). It's decent as long as there's enough light. With the exception of the two Oly converters, I find most other converters to affect image quality negatively (at various degrees depending on the converter). I can only imagine how noisy the original image is considering you've cleaned this one up.
Trust me, it's noisy ISO800 on the E-1 is not the best to start with so that combined with the setup and the fact the light was low so the image was underexposed on purpose means I'm thrilled I got it to look this good. 400mm would have been enough by itself for this bird but i didn't have time to switch. To date the ones i took along with this are the only Belted Kingfisher shots I have so they will have to do for now.

John
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:30 PM   #4

You're right, John. It's always better to have a shot of the bird (even if not the best one) than not to.

Tullio
Old Sep 8, 2010, 3:05 AM   #5

Default New version

Been playing around with learning how to use DeNoise5 and Detail2 to make these very noisy images look okay. There's a limit to what can be done but I think I'm improving. Had to sacrifice some detail in the name of cleaning things up but overall I like this one better. I think a smoother less noisy image is the price I'll have to pay for using a 600mm setup that cost under $250.

John
Attached Images

Old Sep 8, 2010, 4:42 AM   #6

Hi john,

Hope you don't mind. I just got CS5 and tried the Adobe Camera RAW noise reduction sliders for luminance and color. Also used USM in CS5 to sharpen.
Got rid of the purple fringe on the branch near the birds white collar.

This is what happens when I get up at 4am

Zig
Attached Images

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 11:23 AM   #7

Not bad Zig. Looks like I'll have to keep playing around. CS5 isn't in my plans but your image gives me something to shoot for. The PF of the Tokina drives me crazy which is why I'm looking for some other 600mm setup. I cloned it out on one example last night but by the time I did this one I was tired and decided I'd just live with it.

John
Old Sep 8, 2010, 12:57 PM   #8

I prefer John's version better. Although the CS5 image looks cleaner, it smudged it up too much, specially the bird itself.

Tullio
Old Sep 8, 2010, 5:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I prefer John's version better. Although the CS5 image looks cleaner, it smudged it up too much, specially the bird itself.
Hi Tullio,

Yes, I do as well. Funny, the image that shows up on my screen when I'm working on it, looks far better than the one I posted. Something's been lost in translation.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 6:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Tullio,

Yes, I do as well. Funny, the image that shows up on my screen when I'm working on it, looks far better than the one I posted. Something's been lost in translation.
Yes, attached images seem to be degraded here. The links to Smugmug, etc. work much better. The image of the WWII watchtower I posted is very different on my computer screen.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote