Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 22, 2010, 9:48 AM   #1

Default First shots with legacy OM 50mm

and the E420, never used a dSLR in my life so just went of a walk round the village and took some pics, also took a few of the dog as he doesn't seem to start moaning!!

I have no ideas what the settings do so these are just taken in apature priority with everything on auto. Over half the shots were blurry but thats the chance with a legacy lens but it was 21 so I wont grumble and will practice a bit more.

Olympus E420, 17.5-45mm, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm and 25mm lens

Kodak Z950
Thunderchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:43 PM   #2

Not bad for first attempt. Do you have a kit lens as well? I've found it useful to use an AF lens to make sure the diopter adjustment on the viewfinder is the best it can be for you eyes. Maybe because I wear glasses but i've found that it does need to be adjusted sometimes.

Have fun.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:45 PM   #3

Yeah I adjusted the diopter and the pictures look sharp in that but on the camera screen and pc they are blurred not sure why? I am getting better results using the live view screen than the diopter.

Olympus E420, 17.5-45mm, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm and 25mm lens

Kodak Z950
Thunderchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:39 PM   #4

I've been using a lot of legacy lenses since I got into the m4/3 world and I find them to be great for close-up and mid-range shots but not for landscape. It seems that once you reach infinity, the lens is not capable of preserving details. Perhaps the problem lies on the adapters (I use two different adapters, a Pentax K and Canon FD, both are different brands) and the fact that even though the manufacturers claim infinite focus, in reality they don't quite provide that with accuracy (just speculating here).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote