Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 22, 2010, 10:15 PM   #1

Default kayaks over the falls

Here are some shots from the annual Ohiopyle over the falls festival yesterday. This is the only day during the year the state of Pennsylvania lets boaters legally go over the falls. Draws in Kayak'ers from all over the U.S. and some foreign countries. All taken with e-3 & 50-200mm swd, various iso and most shot in manual or AP.

Charles

Last edited by cshanaberger; Aug 22, 2010 at 10:33 PM.
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2010, 10:20 PM   #2

Here are a couple where I was trying to imitate Jay Dickman's famous image, by dragging the shutter. Was hard to get just the right amount of blur do to the varying speed of the water and Kayaks.

Charles

Last edited by cshanaberger; Aug 23, 2010 at 7:37 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:40 AM   #3

Good morning Charles,

Whoa!, these are super. Wish I were there.

That 50-200mm SWD is a cracker of a lens. I've got the older ED version and it is the lens that is on my camera most of the time these days.

I do like what you did in the the last 3 frames. They evoke the power of the water and the exertion of the kayakers to get through the falls.

I guess the Auto Focus on the E-3 was up to the task...........

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; Aug 23, 2010 at 4:43 AM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 7:10 AM   #4

Zig said, "Whoa!, these are super"

Yesiree kayak paddle, they are super and the last three are indeed wonderful images. It surely looks to have been a fun day for the kayakers and you.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 7:53 AM   #5

Thanks, Zig & Bob, I did have fun this is one of my "must see events"
during the year always have a good time. It was unusually hot up in the mountains on sat., 92 degrees. actually felt like I had a little heat exhaustion or dehydration cause wasn't feeling to good sat. night after being up there most of the day. This event has been growing every year & the park service does a good job of managing the safety of the boaters & spectators.

Zig, the 50-200swd with the e-3 has spoiled me, it focuses almost instantly which was really critical for the close shots because the boater's move in & out of the frame so quickly. I have used the 70-300mm in the past at this event & it just does not have the ability to keep up with the action like the 50-200mm although the extra reach came in handy, I left it home this year.
Charles
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:11 AM   #6

Great shots Charles. Obviously the photographer is more sane than people who would willingly paddle a boat over a raging waterfall!!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:38 AM   #7

Brilliant shots! Really excellent, the first 5 are sharp and right on and I love "brush strokes" in that last one.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:27 PM   #8

Charles, great shots! Did you shoot one that shows the entire waterfall with a kayaker in it? I'd like to see that - just wondering how nuts these folks really are.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:09 PM   #9

Steven, actually my girlfriend thinks I am more insane due to risks taken to get some of these shots.

Scouse, Thanks for the comments.

Ted, this year I didn't shoot the whole waterfall as the 50-200 never left the e-3. The waterfall ledge is 18 ft. in height, with a 1.9 ft.(water surface above rock bed) water height at drop off, this is the upper limit the state allows for the event to take place. during the spring & fall when they drain the lake 11 miles upstream the water height surges to over 8ft. at the drop off. Here are a couple close to showing the height.

There are those who are nuts for doing this & then there is "The Man", the following couple of pics are of the man who lobbied the state for years to even let this event happen in the first place. he is in his late 50's (I believe) & is the only one at the event that is allowed to do what you see, & yes those are inflatable canoes not even legal to use on the river on a normal day.

How good is he? I seen him do about 20 runs this year never fell out once, a true master of his craft.

Charles

Last edited by cshanaberger; Aug 23, 2010 at 9:21 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 5:30 AM   #10

Thanks, Charles. So he lands and paddles away standing up? Holy crap!

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote