Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:42 AM   #1

Default Best E420 Quality Setting

The biggest I will print my photos at home will be A4, and maybe 8 x 10 at the photo shop, so what is the best setting for my camera? It is set to save as .jpeg at the moment as there is no point in me using raw. I did have it set to Large Fine (LF) but I have changed it down to Medium Normal (MN)

Any advice?

Olympus E420, 17.5-45mm, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm and 25mm lens

Kodak Z950
Thunderchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderchild View Post
The biggest I will print my photos at home will be A4, and maybe 8 x 10 at the photo shop, so what is the best setting for my camera? It is set to save as .jpeg at the moment as there is no point in me using raw. I did have it set to Large Fine (LF) but I have changed it down to Medium Normal (MN)

Any advice?
Why don't you want to shoot RAW? If you have to shoot JPEG I personally would set it at the highest setting possible. It's always better to have too large a file rather than too small of one.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Why don't you want to shoot RAW? If you have to shoot JPEG I personally would set it at the highest setting possible. It's always better to have too large a file rather than too small of one.

John
Probably because I never really have before I suppose. I am so used to straight out of the camera on to the PC and sharing with whom ever I need to. I suppose I should try it, add it to my 'learning curve'!

Would this give the full 10mpx? or do you set that in another menu? As there are one or two!

Kodak Z950
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:34 AM   #4

A couple of suggestions:

I would, personally, set your record mode; Large Super Fine.
This would give you the largest JPEG file for each photograph or maximum number of pixels your camera is capable of producing. This will cause the camera to have lower a number of images stored on the memory card. Memory cards are cheap though and having one with at least 4GB should hold an ample number of images.

You never know when a photo you took will please you so much that you'll want to enlarge to a size greater than 8 x 10. The LSF file will allow you to do just that.
Also, it will allow you to crop a segment of an image and then enlarge that segment to 8 x 10 or larger.

2nd suggestion is to have another memory card available. I always carry 2 Compact Flash 4GB cards with 1 serving as a spare should I run out of memory on the first.

If you haven't already, a good thing to do is to download the E-420 manual into your PC for future reference. I don't know about you, but I always find it easier and faster to just view a manual on my MAC as opposed to pulling the manual out of the bag and fumbling thru the pages.
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:37 AM   #5

Thanks, it has an 8gb CF in it anyway so that should be enough and I have a 2gb XD on the way.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Kodak Z950
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:36 AM   #6

Not to hi-jack the thread but is 1 8gig CF card enough? I have 4 plus a 4 and a 2gig and even then it doesn't seem like enough. Also, you could try setting the camera to RAW+JPEG so that you have both an out of camera and a copy that can be developed. Will burn thru the memory card faster however.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:50 PM   #7

At SHQ (the highest jpeg) my 4 gig card gives me 600+ exposures. (60 plus at raw) I have a couple for back ups but unless I'm shooting something special that requires more than 600 shots or away from my PC for a week I don't worry about enough cards.

I've experimented with RAW and Jpeg and for me at this moment in time and the PP I do, jpeg suits me just fine.

Do however, as Zig says, shoot at max quality. Sizing down is simple either in Picasa or a free download of "pixresizer"
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:58 PM   #8

Quote:
I have a 2gb XD on the way.
Sam, you'll find that xD cards are slower than CF cards, especially the 3X or faster CF ones. This matters when the camera is writing the image to the card after you take a photo (although it matters more for RAW files than jpeg files). So while it's good to have a backup xD card, normally you'll want to use the CF card.

And Oly's insistence on using the xD format rather than SD, is a point of irritation with many of us. Our irritation is mitigated, though, by the fact that at least they provide two card slots, which most other DSLRs don't have.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks, it has an 8gb CF in it anyway so that should be enough and I have a 2gb XD on the way.

Thanks for the suggestions.
To echo zig: for 99.9% of the time, the highest jpeg: Large Super Fine, is all you ever need.

However, for cards, I don't like to put all my eggs in one basket, and I don't use more than a 4 gig CF. I have extra ones that stay with me, so if one gets full, I can pop in another. If you lose a card, or it becomes defective or corrupt, you haven't lost as many photos. And I keep a 2gig xD in the cameras for backup or for panorama shots.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 7:41 PM   #10

I'm also a 4gig user...I've never shot more than that in a day. The most I've ever done was at a nude shoot and that was over 800 pictures, and even then the card wasn't full yet!

I have a second 4gig card just in case, and if I'm travelling I have a 20gig photobank drive.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote