Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:20 PM   #11

Lots of people will have lots of opinions. Personally I still use the old one because it came with my first camera and I don't see the need to spend more money to get a slower, albeit lighter lens.

Here's one review comparing the two lenses:
http://www.biofos.com/esystem/4015_tst.html
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:30 PM   #12

Hi Thommy

Personally, i;d get the old version of the lens .. it may be a bit bigger, but optically its better and is a tad faster than the new version. The other added benefit is that it has a metal mount whereas the new one was switched to plastic and I think thats something to bear in mind too.

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by newthommy View Post
thank you very much guys for all the above advice (can't see a thanks button to thank you individually) thx v much for the welcome.
i'm a bit torn-i can get the older version for 55 second hand and the newer at 80-90, after doing some more research. both have their plusses. the extra low light ability of the older appeals to me....and then the compactness/lightness of the newer.....decisions, decisions....
At that price, and assuming it is in good shape optically and mechanically, I'd just get the older, faster version. It is an excellent lens and should last you quite a while.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:38 PM   #14

thx again for all the above guys. comparison link most appreciated.

greg - you hit the nail on the head with regard to the condition of a second hand lens and i'm not ashamed to admit my naivety with regard to dslr stuff. will it be fairly straightforward to tell if a lens has any problems with it. don't want to get duped, of course.
newthommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:46 PM   #15

bring a flash light, light up the lens, see if you see any oil spots or leaks inside. If so, pass on it. Mount the lens onto the camera, take some test shots how the AF is working, and the aperture is working. Also with the flash light see if there is any fugues in the lens. If it fails anything pass on the lens.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 23, 2010 at 2:55 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:51 PM   #16

It's always a crap shoot buying second-hand, especially if you do not have a chance to try the lens out first. You just have to base a decision on the seller's feedback if this is an eBay transaction, and hopefully there's some sort of return policy, which many individuals will not give. The last 10 years or so I used film equipment I bought practically everything used...more than once buying something that didn't turn out to be as good as advertized, but to date I have never bought one piece of digital equipment used.

There are places here in the US I would trust to buy used equipment, like KEH. When it comes to a lens like the 40-150 f3.5-4.5, used is the only option. If it was an eBay transaction and the guy had both a good feedback record and good images to see of the item, I probably would not hesitate, but nothings' ever guaranteed. Every once & a while you'll see auctions where the guy just doesn't sound like he knows too much about what he's selling....if I ever have a doubt at all about a seller, I always pass and go to the next auction. First impressions usually are not wrong.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 23, 2010 at 2:54 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:15 PM   #17

thx greg and shoturtle - great advice.
fortunately, it's thru the net site of a company that gives 8 days to send it back if you don't like it (they have stores in most towns too, but you have to return it to the net part of the company if you need to). they have to really, in the uk the distance selling regulations give you the right to return something, within 7 days, as long as it's in the condition you received it.

very appreciated how to test it. feel more confident to order it. thx.
newthommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
There are places here in the US I would trust to buy used equipment, like KEH.
Add B&H to that list (in the US). I have 3 SHG lenses and two of them I bought used from B&H. I probably couldn't have afforded all 3 if I had bought them new, but I saved around $400 each on the used ones. And other than not having the original box and literature, I couldn't tell that they were used.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Add B&H to that list (in the US). I have 3 SHG lenses and two of them I bought used from B&H. I probably couldn't have afforded all 3 if I had bought them new, but I saved around $400 each on the used ones. And other than not having the original box and literature, I couldn't tell that they were used.

Ted
While we're on the subject of where to buy used lenses, etc. don't overlook Fourthirds.com. They have a buy/sell forum on that site that draws Olympus users from all over the world. Actually, a pretty good source if you happen to live outside the US.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:35 PM   #20

Zig started a thread awhile back and many posted pics on it. Most were from the older version.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...-mki-lens.html

The extra speed does more than make the low light abilities better. It makes the old version a very decent portrait lens when used toward the long end. I used that lens alot and most of the time it was wide open, or very close to wide open. It was a heck of a lens to include as a kit lens.

Currently, I do have the new version for use on the E-PL1. Its much lighter, much more compact, and may be a bit sharper.

I have the 50-200 and it has the speed. If I didn't have that lens, I'd opt for the old version so I could limit DOF better.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote