Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 23, 2010, 7:24 AM   #1

Default 3.5 0r 4 -5.6 40-150mm lens?

any advice appreciated pls.

which is better to get? realise one older one is bigger and heavier, but which is better to get mainly for image quality, pls?

second hand 40-150mm 3.5- 4.5 at about 60 or

new 40-150mm 4.- 5.6 at about 90

please treat me gently - have just bought e420, first slr with 14-42 lens and am really enjoying it!!!!
newthommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:21 AM   #2

well I would said the older one has a slight edge.

But you posted in the olympus point and shoot section. So you may not have as many olympus dslr owners see this.

You may want to contact jimc in the contact steve section to have this tread moved to the olympus dslr lens section.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
well I would said the older one has a slight edge.

But you posted in the olympus point and shoot section. So you may not have as many olympus dslr owners see this.

You may want to contact jimc in the contact steve section to have this tread moved to the olympus dslr lens section.
thx! you can tell i'm new!!
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:42 AM   #4
Administrator

I moved this thread to the Olympus dSLR Forum for you, where you'll have a better chance of it being seen by Olympus dSLR owners.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by newthommy View Post
any advice appreciated pls.

which is better to get? realise one older one is bigger and heavier, but which is better to get mainly for image quality, pls?

second hand 40-150mm 3.5- 4.5 at about 60 or

new 40-150mm 4.- 5.6 at about 90

please treat me gently - have just bought e420, first slr with 14-42 lens and am really enjoying it!!!!
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Lot's of great members with a lot of experience and knowledge. You probably will get different recommendations for which lens. I will recommend the newer, lighter version. I looked at both, and am glad I went with the smaller size. It definitely is easier to carry around all day. My lens is very sharp, especially for a low cost kit lens. And the smaller size goes well with the small size of your E-420. And for very reasonable cost you can get a new one for not much more than a used old one.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:24 AM   #6

Good morning and welcome.

As Steven said, they'll be a lot of different opinions on these 2 lenses. The good news for you is that, both are good choices.

It's really up to you to decide which are the more important issues to you.

The newer lens is, as Steven mentioned, smaller, lighter, and probably a better match for the E-420 from a size perspective.

The older version is heavier, also is a stop faster on both ends, so would be a bit better choice if you like to do lower light photography.

Both are sharp and provide good value and image quality for the money.

I have the older lens. Faster lenses are more important to me.

Finally, if money is the primary issue, the older version would be the obvious choice.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:30 AM   #7

I will go with the old one ... only if you don't mind about the weight. When I sold my E-500 Kit ... I kept the old 40-150 knowing that it was better than the new one.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:00 AM   #8

The only negative I can say about the older, faster version relates to live view, which I never use with my DSLR's. The newer f4-5.6 lens received a firmware upgrade to make it compatible with, I believe, the imager AF mode of focusing in live view, which also makes it a good lens to use within the micro 4/3rd's system with the appropriate adaptor.

If you wind up buying the older version and play with live view, it's possible that lens may not be fully compatible with the imager AF mode of focus. It never received the firmware upgrade and, at this point, it's been out of production long enough I doubt it ever will.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I moved this thread to the Olympus dSLR Forum for you, where you'll have a better chance of it being seen by Olympus dSLR owners.
thx v much
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:30 PM   #10

thank you very much guys for all the above advice (can't see a thanks button to thank you individually) thx v much for the welcome.
i'm a bit torn-i can get the older version for 55 second hand and the newer at 80-90, after doing some more research. both have their plusses. the extra low light ability of the older appeals to me....and then the compactness/lightness of the newer.....decisions, decisions....