Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:34 PM   #11

Pellix camera have been around since the late 60's. First with a prism then with a mirror. They just do not send as much light to the film as the light is spite for the vf compare to a slr system
Old Aug 25, 2010, 2:02 PM   #12

Although I can appreciate the disadvantages of a swinging mirror it has worked reliably for a very long time. Replacing it with a new technology device probably won't have a big affect on my picture taking. I want some the basics offered by other manufacturers that are missing in my E-620 and other Olympus 4/3s. I mainly wish for 1/250 or higher flash sync and 7 frame exposure bracketing at .3, .7 and 2 EV steps. I would also find a histogram visible in the viewfinder helpful. Will we any of those features be included in the E5? I hope so.

turbines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 5:20 PM   #13

Interesting item that was just posted on 43rumors:
(FT5) A “rangefinder” company will release a MicroFourThirds product within few hours…enthusiastic

UPDATE 2: It’s 10pm London time now. I was told that there are only 1 hour left!
According to three of our trusted sources a company (not Panasonic or Olympus) will make an nice new product for MicroFourThirds. That company is expected to announce a new product within few hours. The new product will be produced by a company that also makes rangefinder cameras (IMPORTANT: this doesn’t mean they will come out with a rangefinder body! They also could make a lens or an accessory only!!!).
My “feeling” is that it is not a camera.
In a (maybe too enthusiastic) statement one source wrote that “it is a product that 99% of you want and 20% of you will really buy“. But again take that statement with a grain of salt! The product should be announced tonight between 11pm London time and 2am London time.
We made a list of the most important current rangefinder camera producers:
- Leica with the M-series
- Zeiss Ikon
- Cosina-Voigtländer with the Bessa
- Epson RD1 and RD1x
- Kodak Retina
- There are also Mamiya, Bronica and Fuji
We left out Nikon and Canon because we are sure they won’t make products for MFT! I don’t know if I missed mentioning other important companies…
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 6:37 PM   #14
Super Moderator

its a Voight 25mm .95 MF lens. ~1000USD
Old Aug 25, 2010, 6:41 PM   #15

way over hyped
Old Aug 25, 2010, 8:18 PM   #16

Looks pretty sweet to me ! Shame they didn;t make a regular 4/3 version of the wee beastie too .. now that would have been interesting.

My other thought on the product launch was may be Epson were doing an m43 version of the RD1.. now that could have been pretty cool.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 8:22 PM   #17
Super Moderator

The way they hyped it, i was expecting a new body.

a bit too much hype for a specialty lens in essence. i am sure it will be sharp and well made, but not really something the masses will spend a grand on.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 8:40 PM   #18

Remember, Voightlander didn't overhype this release 43rumors did.

While it is curious, to me, that Voightlander decided to jump in the micro four thirds market, essentially for the reasons cited earlier; 99% of the micro four thirds owners would love to have this lens- @1,000USD maybe 10 to 20% might actually buy it. None the less, the marketing gurus there must be seeing sales figures of m43 cameras that justify releasing products into this market segment.

To me, it is a big step forward, in adding credibility to an already popular technology.

Or, could it be just one piece of the puzzle with Panasonic and Olympus both releasing camera bodies that take full advantage of the capabilities of this new lens.

Me, I can't wait for Photokina 2010. Should be an exciting show.
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 8:43 PM   #19
Super Moderator

agreed zig.

photokina should be interesting. i hope oly comes out with their smaller pen, that would be exciting.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:18 PM   #20

One correction, it's Cosina that joined the consortium, and Cosina uses the Voigtländer brandname, it's like Panasonic using Leica.

I used an Cosina made Exakta for 20 years, but I never considered it the same level as an Exakta from the golden age of photography.

My Vito B is certainly offended.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote