Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 27, 2010, 6:34 AM   #21

Regarding the subject of Oly's E5, there's an interesting thread going on at 4/3Photo:

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=59665

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 10:53 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Just as long as it all works....

With all this work in the DSLR and micro lines, Olympus should just drop digicam production and save that money...they've pretty much been a failure there for a while anyway.
Could not agree more. Who buys Oly P&S? I see millions of people carrying their digicam everywhere I go but I hardly see someone holding an Oly P&S.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 10:55 AM   #23

Hey I have a oly p&s, and thinking about another one. I have had couple over the years.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 9:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Hey I have a Oly p&s, and thinking about another one. I have had couple over the years.
I agree with shoturtle, I also have had several Oly p&s, and my wife currently has one.

When I'm walking around the theme parks and tourist attractions around here, most of the tourists have p&s, and I notice a lot of Oly among them. Also, from a business standpoint, their profit margin helps pay for the higher-end camera development.

In addition, it provides the base for the move-up buyer who decides to move up to a dSLR. If you already use and are familiar with a brand, there is a natural tendency to gravitate to that brand first.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Who buys Oly P&S? I see millions of people carrying their digicam everywhere I go but I hardly see someone holding an Oly P&S.
I have one, a TOUGH (OK, the older "SW" version). I only have it out when I'm taking a picture...the rest of the time it's in an Olympus pouch that's attached to the belt on my pants...as soon as I put on my pants I have my Oly P&S with me! But that's why you wouldn't see me carrying one.

I was at an outing last weekend with a small group of photographers...due to the rain I took my SW rather than risking the E-300/330. While most in the group had their Canikon SLRs, another member of the group also had an Oly TOUGH/SW.

BTW, it's the sales of P&S cameras that pays for development of SLRs...that's why Canikon is always pushing their P&S lines in commercials so hard, but rarely the SLRs.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:45 PM   #26

I don't think Oly's DSLR development is being subsidized by their P&S sales. Really. I think they are making money on their Zuiko lenses more than anything.

Tullio
Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:49 PM   #27

olympus sells allot of point and shoots, I have personally purchase 40 point and shoot for work at BH. They really are decent camera for the every day person. And are a good value. We use them for work because they do take some abuse. And are pretty cheap to replace when we kill one.

If you are not into pixel peeping. And view on the web or on a computer monitor. They do a very good job.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 3:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
olympus sells allot of point and shoots, I have personally purchase 40 point and shoot for work at BH. They really are decent camera for the every day person. And are a good value. We use them for work because they do take some abuse. And are pretty cheap to replace when we kill one.

If you are not into pixel peeping. And view on the web or on a computer monitor. They do a very good job.
Ah, you are subsidizing the Oly DSLR development, hey?!?...LOL

I never suggested that Oly P&S are bad cameras. I'm sure they have some decent models out there and because they really can't compete against Canon, Nikon, Sony and Panasonic in this arena, they have to charge much less.

In any case, check this article out...

http://www.photopurity.com/2009/09/0...-market-share/

Tullio
Old Aug 30, 2010, 3:59 PM   #29

Hi Guys

Have to agree with Tulio regards the P&S's ... Oly hasn;t made a really good P&S camera in years and if I was looking for one right now it would be a Pana LX3/LX5 and possibly even a TZ7/8.

One of the reasons for pushing m43 by Oly esp was that it would allow them attract new and existing users generating much needed $$$ to invest some of that money back into regular FT and provide users with an upgrade path to DSLR should they want to. Both Oly and Pana have done really well with M43 and I'm hoping that some of that is translated into the continuation of FT.

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:02 PM   #30

I am of the opinion that all the point and shoots of the same gen are about the same. Some are a bit better then another with in the same specks. But none are that dramatically better.