Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:15 PM   #31

I agree, Harj. Pana and Oly have done well with the m4/3 system so far. However, Pana's future is uncertain IMO. They totally ignored their DSLR line and in terms of m4/3, their models are clearly loosing to Oly and all new contenders in the EVIL market (Sony in particular) when it comes to high ISO performance. I have the G1 and was thinking about upgrading to the G2 but after seeing the high ISO comparison against the new Sony NEX/A33/A55 models it made me change my mind.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 9:03 PM   #32

HI Tulio

From what i can tell, Pana's actually doing pretty good with M43, esp in Japan. The G1, GF1 and the EPX series all basically share the same sensor but right now only PAna's using the GH1's sensor which is the best 4/3 thats possibly been made. Personally, I wish Pana had stayed the course with std FT DSLRs as I'm sure they would have been able to produce some fine cameras and also push Oly along with more regular updates too. I had a wee play with the Pen, Sony NEX Samsung and Pana m43's this weekend. The Samungs actually very nice in the hand and build quality was very nice which really surprised me. The Sony - its ok.. but the lenses are clearly a lot bigger than the M43's and even Samsung's. The camera that I kept on picking up was the GF1, I like the Pen .. but its too flash for me .. the Pana if it had a built in EVF would be just perfect. I can't for the life of me get used to take a pic with a camera out at arms length!

From all accounts the RAW files from GH1 are possibly the best out of any FT and m43 camera to date - quote from DPR's GH1 review

" Like the GH1 the Nikon (D5000) image improves visibly compared to the out-of-camera JPEGs but it can't quite keep up with the Panasonic which, in RAW format as well, is up with the very best crop DSLRs in terms of image detail."

Now Pana I'm sure have been improving that sensor - actually they have already stated that a new version is due for their AF-AG100 video camera but that specific one is going to have a lot of dedicated electronics to deal with HD quality/RAW video output and has got a lot of the AV crowd on tender hooks for a release date. Hopefully, Oly will get their mitts on a version of the updated GH1 sensor too.

Cheers

HArj

Last edited by HarjTT; Aug 30, 2010 at 9:10 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 9:28 PM   #33

Panasonic took themselves out of the DSLR market. I don't know if they ever offered a camera body that wasn't in a kit with an expensive lens. The into price simply was higher than most were comfortable with. I think they had the right idea with the L1, but they screwed themselves with the bundle.

They are being much smarter with the micro cameras. They also are introducing some nice glass for the system. I wish them good luck with their product line. They seem like they've got some good traction in the lower end P&S also.

Greg

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:05 PM   #34

I totally agree that the GH1 is the best m4/3 camera to date followed by the EPL1. The GF1 is a nice camera but not as good as the EPL1 IMO. They both lack EVF but the EPL1 has IBIS and excellent high ISO performance. I sold my EP1 a few day ago and am seriously considering buying the EPL1. The EP1 was a nice camera, well built and all but the lack of a built-in flash was a killer. I also think that its DR was not as good as the EPL1.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:24 PM   #35

all things go in cycle. panny was the lead in m4/3, the oly responded with the epl-1. And sooner rather then then later panny will counter back with the next cameras
Old Aug 31, 2010, 6:11 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
Panasonic took themselves out of the DSLR market. I don't know if they ever offered a camera body that wasn't in a kit with an expensive lens. The into price simply was higher than most were comfortable with. I think they had the right idea with the L1, but they screwed themselves with the bundle.

They are being much smarter with the micro cameras. They also are introducing some nice glass for the system. I wish them good luck with their product line. They seem like they've got some good traction in the lower end P&S also.

Greg
Just to reinforce Greg's point, here is a link to the release as published @ 43rumors.com

http://www.43rumors.com/no-surprise-...e-make-a-dslr/

Personally, I've always been impressed with the Panasonic line of digital cameras. With the L-1 model dslr, as Greg pointed out, they priced themselves out of the market. As far as P&S cameras go, the LX3 is really a fine camera producing high quality OOC jpegs. I tried out an LX3 when it was just purchased by friend. It was very impressive.

Thank goodness that Panasonic came out with the first m43 dslr because it gave Olympus a boot in the rump to get things moving along with their own m43 product line. And, I do agree that from everything I've seen and read the GH1 is the m43 to beat in terms of the complete package. They also have some really exemplary glass to go along with that body.

As for Oly P&S compacts go, my only experience was a dismal failure with, I believe, the SW1030. my kids chipped in and bought me the camera for Xmas knowing I was looking for a waterproof camera to use on the boat.
The images coming out of that camera were god awful.

One thing is certain, the mirrorless market continues to expand, which bodes well for all of us.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote