Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:22 AM   #1

Default New Oly Rumors - Regular Four Thirds

The latest rumors about new Olympus cameras should make anyone with an interest in the standard four-thirds format and lenses feel a bit better. Not only does it appear there will be a replacement for the E-3, there may also very well be a mirrorless camera for regular four-thirds under development:

http://www.43rumors.com/ft4-more-abo...ent-tecnology/

While it should be noted these are only unconfirmed rumors, Oly's earlier statements about micro four-thirds and regular four-thirds "merging" in the future now make a bit more sense.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:45 PM   #2

Great timing; I was just reading the article and was getting ready to post it.

Also, just a few weeks ago the following info had been posted:

"...As I told you in April Olympus made a very last minute decision to not announce any new low and middle class FourThirds DSLR (->The cameras were ready for the worldwide launch!).
In case of the E-5, Olympus tested different prototypes (with different sensors, features and designs). Of course it is normal that a company reviews different camera versions, but what I am telling you is that they only decided a few weeks ago(!) how the camera will look! Even the name wasn’t sure until few weeks ago.
An example? According to our sources Olympus had two prototypes, one working with the Kodak sensor and one working with the new Panasonic sensor. We don’t know what sensor has been choosen but we suspect that Olympus will use the new Panasonic sensor.."

Last edited by Steven R; Aug 24, 2010 at 12:50 PM.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 1:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
The latest rumors about new Olympus cameras should make anyone with an interest in the standard four-thirds format and lenses feel a bit better. Not only does it appear there will be a replacement for the E-3, there may also very well be a mirrorless camera for regular four-thirds under development:

http://www.43rumors.com/ft4-more-abo...ent-tecnology/

While it should be noted these are only unconfirmed rumors, Oly's earlier statements about micro four-thirds and regular four-thirds "merging" in the future now make a bit more sense.
Hopefully by the time mirrorless makes it over to the regular 4/3rd's system Olympus will have found a solution to incorporating their SWD motor technology and the contrast detect AF system together, because it sure does not work well, at all, in the Pen series of micro four-thirds cameras. My 12-60 and 50-200 SWD lenses will sit quietly in the bag while I play with the E-PL1.

The alternative, Olympus having to use different technology and obsoleting my two most recent and most expensive lenses, is less than an enviable thought.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 2:01 PM   #4

Greg... have you checked out the Sony A33 and A55 just unveiled? This "mirrorless" camera actually has a non-moveable mirror... a translucent one that allows the use of phase-detection auto-focus.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta55/

The Olympus rumor mentioned that Oly also has a form of translucent mirror. Perhaps a solution is at hand? One can certainly hope.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 2:34 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I just commented over on your other post Biro.

But what looks really cool about the Oly offering is the use of a charged crystal mirror. 50% translucent that goes to 100% translucent when an electric charge is applied, thus no light loss to the sensor during shooting. However it won't be quite as fast because of this.

Very cool.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 2:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
I just commented over on your other post Biro.

But what looks really cool about the Oly offering is the use of a charged crystal mirror. 50% translucent that goes to 100% translucent when an electric charge is applied, thus no light loss to the sensor during shooting. However it won't be quite as fast because of this.

Very cool.
Honestly, we may be now entering a golden age of camera development that holds the promise of giving us all exactly what any of us have asked for in a camera, regardless of brand. And, honestly, I think we have Panasonic and Olympus to thank for it.

I'm guessing a lot of this technology has been 80-90 percent ready at several manaufacturers for a while but no one was going to use it unless they really had to. Micro four-thirds forced the issue.

This is a great time to be a photographer.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 2:46 PM   #7
Super Moderator

I would agree with that. M4/3 and the mirrorless revolution so to speak have kicked the camera market out of its rut and forcing some ppl to think outside the (mirror) box
Old Aug 24, 2010, 5:19 PM   #8

Just as long as it all works....

With all this work in the DSLR and micro lines, Olympus should just drop digicam production and save that money...they've pretty much been a failure there for a while anyway.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
The Olympus rumor mentioned that Oly also has a form of translucent mirror. Perhaps a solution is at hand? One can certainly hope.
Gee, didn't Olympus have something like that TEN YEARS AGO...now I remember, the E-10 and E-20.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
Gee, didn't Olympus have something like that TEN YEARS AGO...now I remember, the E-10 and E-20.
That's right. As has been mentioned, most of this technology isn't new. Camera makers have been sitting on it - but now have real reason to use it.