Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 27, 2010, 7:26 PM   #1

Default More 50mm 1.4 Rokkor files

My wife's long time friend came in from Dallas for a visit as well as to get away from the heat. While here, LeAnne asked if I could take a couple of pics so she could give them to her dad as he doesn't live close by.

I've been playing around with this 50mm 1.4 Rokkor manual lens with initial positive impressions so decided it was the lens to use.
Here are two sets of images- each set includes the original file as it came out of the cam and the finished copy.

I really do like the images from this lens. The background is pleasing to my eye. And, the depth of field while thin, offers the ability to 'focus' on the eyes while leaving the hair, etc. slightly out of focus.

All in all, the 50mm 1.4 renders images that are pleasing to me.

Zig
Attached Images

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2010, 7:31 PM   #2

You are getting some good use out of that lens Zig. Looks like with practice you are now doing the manual focus quite well.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 2:51 AM   #3

Agreed, I like the results.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 7:48 AM   #4

Nice job! Do you find yourself using live view to focus with this type subject? What aperture? Very nice bokeh.

Paul

turbines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 8:28 AM   #5

......very nice Zig. I am sure LeAnn is thrilled and her dad will be too. That lens looks to be a worthy find.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 10:57 AM   #6

This is indeed a very good lens. I while back I was looking for one but ended up buying a Canon FD 1.4 because I already had the FD to m4/3 adapter. The Canon is a good lens but I've seen so many great results with this Minolta that I'm now searching eBay for one. I'm sure once I have the adapter there will be many other good Minolta lenses I can go after!

Great pictures, Zig.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:49 PM   #7

Hi All,

Thanks for taking the time to comment and for the kind words.

Steven,
While this lens is definitely easier to focus using the E-30, I still have aways to go with getting consistently sharp-in focus images. I'm up to about 50 to 70%
keepers. Which, to me is interesting since I usually look at the image file while it's still on the camera. If they aren't worth keeping, I simply delete them.

Paul,

I didn't use live view when taking these as I think it's a bit intimidating to fuss with the camera settings, etc. when in front of the subject. I find that people sitting for a camera shot react more positively if they don't sit and wait too long. As far as settings go; I typically set the aperture to wide open, focused the lens and stepped it down to 2.0, because of the evening light, I chose ISO 200,

However, last night I did try live view on a static subject and have to tell you that it's way easier to get the lens to snap into focus.

Hi Bob,

thanks.

Hi Tullio,

I bought mine at KEH.com for 46bucks. They currently have about 6 or 7 50mm 1.4 ranging from $42USD to about 100bucks.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 6:22 PM   #8

I'll check them out. I've bought lenses from them before and as you mentioned, they were always in excellent condition (well, I always go for the EX ones).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 9:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi All,

.................................................. ..........

However, last night I did try live view on a static subject and have to tell you that it's way easier to get the lens to snap into focus.
.................................................. ........
That's my experience also. Static subject give better results with live view. Also, with a person, it's easier to get then to relax, because you can talk with them and get them to relax easier with live view, because they don't realize exactly when you are getting ready to snap. Just keeping talking with them like you are not ready to take the shot when you release the shutter. (When you bring your camera up to the viewfinder, they will often tense up because they know you are almost ready to take the shot.) Practice on that with Sharon..
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:35 AM   #10

HI Zig

Those a very nice.. the out of focus areas look super smooth and from the second shot you can see that theyre nice and sharp. Its a shame that Oly have delibrately not enabled focus confirmation with MF lenes... it would have an added another reason to get a 43 camera.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote