Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:26 PM   #1

Default Some more 600mm shots

Yeah, I know, not really a tough subject to shoot but it was good practice. I can tell that this setup works best with lighter subjects and ideally I think I'd like to use ISO100 or 200 to limit noise but may not be practical. Have to say I love the length, now if only it focused closer than 13' w/o a tube. Could've had a hell of a hummingbird shot today but it was about 12 1/2' away and I couldn't move before it did.

John
Attached Images

jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:49 AM   #2

Looks good though the feet looks bit fuzzy other wise I like them and I use to have one as a pet they do nicely for shots... Hummingbirds need to have those with tripods unless there are more than I say 5 to 10 of them they would have to much to watch for besides people they have to be careful of sharing the feeder they can become combative then I know I and a male that I stayed with once hung feeders up and there were like 36 of them flying around diving at each other as they do claim feeders.. WE had gotten some shots he sent to his mother in Florida via cell phone but they are funs to capture in those examples with tripod intact and height of what ever position you are in either sitting standing or ground level. Remember the liquid needs to be red and the sweeter the better.... I use a mixture of Brown Sugar and white with red food coloring they love it..... There are many types in the Great Northwest some stay some leave ! Enjoy and have fun! SSG
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 1:12 AM   #3

I had to shoot wide open and so made an effort to be sure the eye was in focus. Got pretty close I'd say but an AF confirm adapter will be nice to have. Feet got a little blown out on the 2nd one as well.

There were 3 hummingbirds buzzing each other as I shot these (they were taken where I was working). Almost got a shot of one on a wire but just left before it was fully in focus. Someday....

John
Old Aug 28, 2010, 1:58 AM   #4

Better luck next time and see about getting a feeder up they really need em when man took over all the brush and their own homes.... they are not much actually or get some humming birds plants that they like!
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 5:01 AM   #5

Hi John,

You're right, the detail certainly comes through in the image of the lighter pigeon. I tend to over expose my shots of Osprey by +03 to +07 as they, at a distance, also are dark. At proper exposure, the detail just doesn't come through.

Who is the maker of the lens?

Zig
added; I found the answer to my question in your earlier post. -the Tokina 400mm 5.6

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; Aug 28, 2010 at 5:10 AM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi John,

You're right, the detail certainly comes through in the image of the lighter pigeon. I tend to over expose my shots of Osprey by +03 to +07 as they, at a distance, also are dark. At proper exposure, the detail just doesn't come through.

Who is the maker of the lens?

Zig
added; I found the answer to my question in your earlier post. -the Tokina 400mm 5.6
Which isn't a bad lens but sure can get bad PF in the right conditions.

I'll have to play around with exposure settings for sure to see if I can't get darker subjects to show more detail. I've found with my old glass that I usually have to set it a -07 to -01 to get it to look right on the camera but that doesn't seem to work here, at least not on the first shot.

John