Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:21 AM   #1

Default E5 possible on Tuesday

The E5 may be coming on Tuesday, if the rumor pans out

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-hot-olym...ew-mft-lenses/
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2010, 3:16 AM   #2

Which hopefully floods the used market with E-3s so I can upgrade w/o blowing the budget. Not that I'm not happy with the E-1.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 5:46 AM   #3

Whatever new dslr is announced by Olympus wont prompt me to upgrade anytime soon from the E-30 as I honestly don't see the new release as having a significantly improved AF system from what I already have. Maybe they'll surprise me. But, I'm not holding my breath.

Also, while the latest jpeg engine in the E-PL1 is probably the one that will be employed in the new dslr, I'm not sure that's enough of a change for me to upgrade. If anything, it's another reason for me to justify buying the E-PL1 to use as a small travel camera.

But, hopefully, it will have enough bells and whistles to be a product that others new to Olympus, may look at as a serious option.

Anyways, although it will be exciting to hear some news on Tuesday, I know that my E-30 will still be working on Wednesday.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 6:30 AM   #4

From the owner of the 4/3 photo website, that normally gets info early to have the website ready for the big day.

"Sorry to say but this "E-5" whatever that is will not be announced on Tuesday."

As with everything the rumors website has to say, don't hold your breath.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/

Last edited by fldspringer; Aug 30, 2010 at 6:58 AM.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 6:46 AM   #5

I'd rather some nice new glass in the longer focal lengths (that are affordable!)
Facebook

Olympus E30 | Zuiko 50-200mm SWD | EC-14 | EC-20| EX-25 | FL-50R
piXelatedEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 9:45 AM   #6

After reading the "specs" on the site . My first thoughts were "repackaged EP-X in an e3 type body" and if thats the case its really not good enough. They could have released that spec cam back in fall 2009 but to do it now would be just a waste of time. Art filters and 720p HD in a semi-pro camera and I'd say last years sensor, they have to be kidding!

If its got to have video, it has to be 1080p otherwise the pro video shooters are just going to carry on using the 7D and highly likely Nikons D400 when it shows. I don;t need HD video (nice to have it) but if the EX is going to continue to compete against the semipro Canon/Nikon/Sony's then it has to be as good or better than the equivalent.

Sensorwise, Pana have already stated that they have a reworked or new sensor based on the GH1's for their new m43 video camera (AG-AF100) and Oly should be using the latest sensor in their flagship camera. The GH1's sensor is pretty good esp compared to the latest APS and I'd like to see the follow up to that with the multi aspect ratios. Riley, posted some Dx0 comparsions over at DPR showing how well the GH1 sensor compares to the 7D/D300 and D3 and he also posted a Dx0 chart that basically would indicate that the sensors in the E3/E30/EPx series are pretty much the same.

How many MP - well I'd be more than happy with 12MP (its good enough for the Nkon D3) but if they need to push it 14Mp would be a good compromise as long as the DR and high ISo aren't effected.

If the follow up to the E3 is just a repackaged Ep2 then, its not for me and I'll carry on using my E3. My concern though is for the remaining Oly pro shooters - will a repackaged EpX be enough for them or will they decide too little too late and be forced to switch systems due to client demands.

Lenswise - I'd like to see a 300F4 or somethign longer and a wee bit affordable for most shooters but I highly doubt we'll see any new FT lenses or even updates to the exisiting ones. The 100 f2 macro should have been released what 2 years ago and still no sight or sound of it ?

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Aug 30, 2010 at 9:50 AM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:36 AM   #7

Wrong Tuesday, the link states that it will be announced Tuesday September 14th, as I stated previously here.

They will be announcing more Micro stuff tomorrow.

As for whether I'll get an E-5 or not, I had no interest in the E-1 or E-3, I doubt I'll be interested in the E-5. Then again I am happily using my E-300 and E-330; and I only bought the E-330 for its live view function (plus it was only $300).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 2:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
After reading the "specs" on the site . My first thoughts were "repackaged EP-X in an e3 type body" and if thats the case its really not good enough. They could have released that spec cam back in fall 2009 but to do it now would be just a waste of time. Art filters and 720p HD in a semi-pro camera and I'd say last years sensor, they have to be kidding!

If its got to have video, it has to be 1080p otherwise the pro video shooters are just going to carry on using the 7D and highly likely Nikons D400 when it shows. I don;t need HD video (nice to have it) but if the EX is going to continue to compete against the semipro Canon/Nikon/Sony's then it has to be as good or better than the equivalent.

Sensorwise, Pana have already stated that they have a reworked or new sensor based on the GH1's for their new m43 video camera (AG-AF100) and Oly should be using the latest sensor in their flagship camera. The GH1's sensor is pretty good esp compared to the latest APS and I'd like to see the follow up to that with the multi aspect ratios. Riley, posted some Dx0 comparsions over at DPR showing how well the GH1 sensor compares to the 7D/D300 and D3 and he also posted a Dx0 chart that basically would indicate that the sensors in the E3/E30/EPx series are pretty much the same.

How many MP - well I'd be more than happy with 12MP (its good enough for the Nkon D3) but if they need to push it 14Mp would be a good compromise as long as the DR and high ISo aren't effected.

If the follow up to the E3 is just a repackaged Ep2 then, its not for me and I'll carry on using my E3. My concern though is for the remaining Oly pro shooters - will a repackaged EpX be enough for them or will they decide too little too late and be forced to switch systems due to client demands.

Lenswise - I'd like to see a 300F4 or somethign longer and a wee bit affordable for most shooters but I highly doubt we'll see any new FT lenses or even updates to the exisiting ones. The 100 f2 macro should have been released what 2 years ago and still no sight or sound of it ?

Harj
Sorry I missed this the first time around, but I couldn't agree more. I am moving on up from graduate student to postdoctoral fellow, and as a gift to myself I am going to go out and upgrade my e520. I've been one of the strongest olympus defenders around because I think their lenses are just top notch, but if their new semi-pro body is nothing more than a repackaged ep-x, then I'll have serious doubts about the long term viability of the project.

This is specially so as last generation cameras come down in price. As much as I love my 14-54 and 50mmf2 and know how much it would cost to get similar quality lenses from canikon, I simply wouldn't be able to justify spending over 1200 bucks on an e-5 when the d90 and 50d have already dipped below 800 bucks and will likely get even cheaper after the new releases.

The GH1 sensor and the likelihood of something even newer in terms of sensor give me hope of good news. I don't need 16mp (or even 14), art filters or video, but better noise and DR would be fantastic.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpin View Post
I don't need 16mp (or even 14), art filters or video, but better noise and DR would be fantastic.
I couldn't agree more... Add a better AF system in there and one cannot ask for anything more IMO...
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:59 PM   #10

pretty sure they will put the sensor they put into the epl-1 into the e5, so it does have better noise control, with the updated jpeg engine.