Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:20 AM   #11
Super Moderator

I think these turned out well for a first time doing something formal like this.

#2 and #4 were my favorites here and look just as good as most senior pictures i see from ppl that advertise for it.

the good news is we as photographers are more picky (especially if we take the photo) than the consumer, i am sure they will be very happy.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:49 AM   #12

Zig, I also think those portraits turned out really well. My favorites are #2 and #3.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:36 AM   #13
Super Moderator

I also am a user of portrait pro and it does a good job if you don't go crazy with the settings (for most normal styles.... glamour then sure, pump up the controllers ). Another way to slim someone down (portrait pro helps with the face structure) is to never shoot them straight on, a nice 45 degrees to the camera really helps. This is the case not only for the heavy set people but of any size..... anyone heard a woman say I want to look larger??
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:39 AM   #14

Great shots, Zig. I've never experienced photographing a model, always casual shots of people but I don't think I'd feel that comfortable doing it. The expectations are much higher.

Charles, your shot was nice but personally I think it was a bit over processed, very visible around her nose and mouth where the details were lost.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 12:52 PM   #15

Hi Dustin, Ted, Mark and Tullio,

Thanks for the tips and all the kind words.

The main reason I come back to this forum each day is that there is such a wealth of talent here, like you all, that have an immense amount of knowledge AND, is willing to share it for the benefit of all.

I look forward each and every morning to enjoy my coffee and viewing the latest posts, discussions, disagreements. (do we have any disagreements?)
here at Steve's.

I feel I've made a lot of friendships along the way and hope to make a few more.

Thank you for help, words of encouragement, and critiques.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 12:56 PM   #16
Super Moderator

That's one of the good things about Steve's is the lack of disagreements that go bad. We have them, but no like some other sites and it's why Steve's is where I do most of my posting. Personally I wish there were more pro's here as I have to go to other sites for some of the things I'm looking for but we are what we are and that's a fun place to share photos and learn.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 2:17 PM   #17

Hey zig: be sure and batten down the hatches; looks like you may get a bit of rain from Hurricane Earl this coming Friday night. Good luck and stay safe.

(Don't you have an E-3? It's weatherproof, so go ahead and shoot some photos of the high surf if you get a chance.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 2:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Hey zig: be sure and batten down the hatches; looks like you may get a bit of rain from Hurricane Earl this coming Friday night. Good luck and stay safe.

(Don't you have an E-3? It's weatherproof, so go ahead and shoot some photos of the high surf if you get a chance.)
Sounds like we're in for a doozy of a storm. going down to the boat in a few minutes to secure it. If I wait to the last day, it will be bedlam at the marina.

Zig
P.S. got the E-30

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 2:30 PM   #19

You need to get him back out there this weekend for some hurricane beach portraits! It's looking more and more like you guys are going to see some serious weather.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 2:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
You need to get him back out there this weekend for some hurricane beach portraits! It's looking more and more like you guys are going to see some serious weather.
Yes, we'll look like the idiots on the beach in the middle of a hurricane videos that you see on the weather channel.

zig