Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:23 PM   #1

Default My 1st attempt at some portraits

Well, today was the day I took some photos of Brendan. All I've got to say is that I'm happy not to do this for a living. I was way too nervous. I know Brendan and his parents very well. I've also taken pictures of his family over the years.
There is something different, however, when someone you know, comes up and asks you to take a photo of their son for use as a formal photograph.

Greg, Mark, Thanks for your very valuable advice. I actually had time to try and use both of your tips. Wether or not I was successful in implementing them- well that's another story.

Here are a few taken today. His parents were happy with the results, which, in the end, was most important to me. But, I look at all of these and know I should have done better.

The last image is Brendan's favorite. He asked that I take a picture of him with that house in the background. He wants to tell his friends that his grandparent's summer house.

Zig
Attached Images

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:00 PM   #2

I would say...Great Job Zig!
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:34 PM   #3

Me too, I quite like those, the one with gandpa's house is very good. And you have a nice natural look for them all.

I know how hard it is. I "had to" take a series of sharon's twin cousins once. they needed a porfolio to get into a modeling school.
It worked ....but.....!
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 6:18 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Glad they worked out and I was able to help. It looks like he is a nice lad and sure they will like them.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 7:00 AM   #5

Hi Edge, Ken, Mark,

Much appreciate the comments.

After having a good nights sleep, I look at the results and feel a whole lot better. Yes, I still kick myself in the pants for not framing Brendan better i.e. the 1st shot would look a lot better had I not had the tree 'growing' out of his head. I should have taken a lot more shots, so I'd have had more to work with.
Looking back, there are a host of things I should have done. That will be my learning tools for the next one- if there is a next opportunity.

A big thanks for your input, Mark. I did shoot a series of images in manual mode. I'm more comfortable using manual mode since that's what I typically shoot. I wasn't as successful setting my flash up using your suggestions. For some reason, I couldn't set the FL36 to accept your settings. But that gives me something to improve upon.

I'm also very grateful to Greg for giving me his tips on how to approach shooting portraits. I shot mostly program mode with some in manual. The program mode ended up being the easier (for me) way to shoot. The FL36 flash set to auto FP worked like a champ with the E-30 in program and the
flash settings set to slow sync (1st curtain).

One thing I've got to work on is to get a handle on how to shoot portraits on a beach. Here on the Cape, it seems, everyone wants their family photo taken on the shore. The evening lighting really wreaks havoc since their is so much glare and harsh reflections on people's faces.

This was a good exercise and was certainly opened my eyes to how much work and effort it takes to be a good portrait photographer.

Zig
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 7:31 AM   #6

.....those are good, I say good job too. That's a whole lot more difficult to do than I'm willing try.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 7:33 AM   #7

Good job zig; glad it was a success. If you are going to be doing more portraits, you should investigate Portrait Professional software. Very effective and reasonably priced.

http://www.portraitprofessional.com/
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 8:37 AM   #8

great job Zig, you even did well with the solid white shirt, these are very hard to keep detail in & get reasonable exposure on the face. I have been shooting senior portraits just about everyday for the last 3 weeks & one thing I suggest to all of them is stay away from solid whites.

As Steven had mentioned portrait professional is a great piece of software, that is what I use, mainly because it makes the clients happy, not necessarily making me happy.

I usually shoot between 300-400 shots per senior for this type work its better to way over shoot then under shoot. And I still get nervous most of the time.

here is one from last week (hope you don't mind ) processed in portrait professional.

Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 8:58 AM   #9

Hi Steven, Bob,

Many thanks for the words of encouragement. they are much appreciated.
Steven, Appreciate the software tip. I'll definitely look into it

Zig

Old Sep 1, 2010, 9:04 AM   #10

Charles,
Don't mind you posting samples at all. It looks great. I'm sure the parents were happy with the results.
Always feel free to post images onto any of my threads as I'm always happy to learn what others are doing.

Also, thanks for letting me in on how many shots you take per student.
Where do you get the time to review all those images? Yikes!!

Zig