Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 4, 2010, 1:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
John, I don't think any Oly camera offered specific lens focus calibration prior to the E-30. The E-3 doesn't.

Ted
So the E-3 doesn't offer any calibration? It would be nice to have this lens be more useful but if not I'll have to figure a way around the issues. I tried some experiments with S-AF+M and using MF to tweak the focus but the ring is so touchy on the lens minute adjustment seems impossible.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 4:45 AM   #12

Hi John,

Life with the Sigma 135-400mm lens can be downright frustrating at times. I am pleased that I have the E-30 that allows me the chance to adjust the focus. But even then, the results can be less than satisfactory.

I'm not sure if you've read this article. But, it can help in understanding what the issues are.

http://www.jayandwanda.com/photograp...man_focus.html

Also, here is some additional info on the subject:http://leongoodman.tripod.com/d70focuspart3.html

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 1:52 PM   #13

Thanks for the links Zig. I'll check them out. For now I have just stopped using the Sigma.
John
Old Sep 5, 2010, 1:08 AM   #14

John,

One thing you do need to keep in mind when shooting a type subject like this where your depth of focus is going to be very narrow is, the area looked at by the AF system when you place a specific AF box on a spot to focus covers both that entire box and some space around that box, so the camera could be focusing at the top or bottom of that area and cause a substantial difference in where the exact focus is being placed in a situation where depth of field is going to be very narrow, so you need to watch your screen very carefully.

If I want the focus to be EXACT when using my E30, that camera gives you the option of narrowing the focus to a much smaller area within the AF box so you can be much more precise in focusing. I do not think any other 4/3rd's camera I have used before the E30 offered this option. The E620 does not either and it came out after the E30.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 2:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
John,

One thing you do need to keep in mind when shooting a type subject like this where your depth of focus is going to be very narrow is, the area looked at by the AF system when you place a specific AF box on a spot to focus covers both that entire box and some space around that box, so the camera could be focusing at the top or bottom of that area and cause a substantial difference in where the exact focus is being placed in a situation where depth of field is going to be very narrow, so you need to watch your screen very carefully.

If I want the focus to be EXACT when using my E30, that camera gives you the option of narrowing the focus to a much smaller area within the AF box so you can be much more precise in focusing. I do not think any other 4/3rd's camera I have used before the E30 offered this option. The E620 does not either and it came out after the E30.
Thanks Greg. I'll have to just do some experiments and see if I can make it work better. Shooting wide open or close to it has it's downsides but handheld it's about the only way I can unless it's really sunny, not a common happening this year.

John
Old Sep 8, 2010, 8:55 PM   #16

Default Update

I tried using the Sigma on Sunday to shoot another Belted Kingfisher and while it works I can't really say any of the pics look to be in focus no matter what i did. So it looks like outside of buying an E-30 I have to either sell the lens or get it calibrated.

John