Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 4, 2010, 4:39 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Zig, a lovely photo, I would love to live there (well not for the next day or so) and would make such wonderful use of this view for some amazing portraits. That can be your next thing, get a pretty young lady to walk along there, just paddling as she goes, will be amazing..... a little bit of off camera flash and you will be away with a winner of a shot.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 4:52 AM   #12

Good morning everyone,

Yes, we dodged a bullet with Earl diminishing in size and strength by the time it arrived here around 10pm. Still too dark here to tell what damage if any it left behind. The fact the I'm able to use my Mac, tells you that we haven't lost power. Earl's current position is about 165 mile east of us tracking Northeast at 30mph. Goodbye and good riddance.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 4:53 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Great news!!!

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 4:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Zig, a lovely photo, I would love to live there (well not for the next day or so) and would make such wonderful use of this view for some amazing portraits. That can be your next thing, get a pretty young lady to walk along there, just paddling as she goes, will be amazing..... a little bit of off camera flash and you will be away with a winner of a shot.
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the comments. Yes, now that I've gotten my feet wet (pun intended), with portrait photography, I might be able to use that stairway to the beach more often.

I've still got a lot to learn the various ways to use a flash, lighting, etc.
It will give me something to do in the Winter.

zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 5:03 AM   #15
Super Moderator

With portraits outdoors, stick to natural lighting as much as possible, flash is great when you are in the evening light but the general rule is natural before reflected and reflected before flash.

I will admit that I don't do much reflected as this always needs an extra pair of hands but is more natural looking that flash.

I've spent the last few months learning lots about lighting and my photos have improved considerably as well as how I look at the world. Even walking around I'm seeing the light better. Makes a huge difference to be aware of it. I took an online subscription course with one of the top UK wedding photographers, there are over 400 20 minute sessions covering all aspects. It's paying dividends for sure.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 8:07 AM   #16

Zig, glad to hear you made it through, was watching the news this morning & seen that it missed the cape.

If you are really interested in learning to do some off camera flash stuff, I highly recommend strobist.com you can learn a lot there. I recommend the lighting 101, as a place to start its up in the right hand corner of the blog page. I use some of the techniques for portraits I learned there for shooting portraits.

Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 9:10 AM   #17

Hey zig: glad that Earl turned more east, that was welcome news. You have started something now, as we we expect more photos from your beach.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote