Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 7, 2010, 12:17 AM   #11

All of this combined would make for a very nice camera.

This is one generation early, but I may be waiting on the combined hybrid optical/electronic finder to replace my E30.

Whatever they come out with next week, chances are it's going to be more than I want to pay right out of the gate....like I need another camera right now anyway!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 4:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpin View Post
I understand a premium on new releases. But the e-3 was announced within weeks of the 40d and the d300, so all cameras it was competing against also had that premium in their price.

Meanwhile, the d300s and the 7d have been out for a bit. It was one thing to release the e3 with a $1700 msrp because its two competitors had been just announced with higher msrps and had the same premium going. It would be another thing to release an e-5 with a $1700 msrp with the d300s and the 7d street prices already at least a couple of hundred dollars lower than the msrp.

And thanks for the e30 recommendation. It is certainly something I'll consider. But what I really need right now is something that shows a commitment to the format, even if I go with an existing body.

Those points are spot on. I couldn;t and would not be willing to spend 1700USD on last years tech packaged into a new body - plain and simple. The E3 after 3 years in the UK is still 90% msrp of its initial release price!

The other point and this seems to be missing to a lot of ppl over at dpr is that a follow up to the E-3 shows that Oly is still committed to the entire FT system. They've haven;t announced or pencilled in a new FT lens in nearly 2-3 years and if I remember correctly after the 12-60 and 50-200SWD were annouced an Oly spokes person stated that the 100f2.8 macro would be released after a year and then followed by some primes. From all accounts the 100f2.8 macro looks to have been dropped and we've not heard or seen of any new primes. There's a clear need for a 300+ HG grade lens .. anyone shooting wildlife or sports would be all over it and with the 2x crop to me it would be a no brainer but somehow Oly doesn't seem to think so. I'd love to get the 14-35F2 but I won't until I know that there will be a future EX and that Oly have resolved the AF issues with that lens (lenstip's recent review was showing that for a 2000USD lens the 14-35 had an OOF rate of 9%, where as the nearest Canon is 3%)

The 3 year product dev cycle needs to be dropped in my opinion as well. The E-X series simply isnt a pro (1D/D3/A900) category camera. Its a semi pro competing against the D300/7D and both of those are on a 2 year product cycle. I've seen several pro shooters (with the entire Ft range of lenses, eg. Donald Chin and Kirk Tuck ) switching systems as they could no longer wait for an e3 replacement after 2.5 years due to client demands. You would think that after the E1 to E3 release and the number of Pro's that switched systems then that they would have learnt from it. How many pro shooters can Oly afford to loose ?

Right now I don;t have any plans to upgrade the E3 - its working fine but if it did fail then I want a replacement thats built the same way but with the latest sensor tech, etc

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Sep 7, 2010 at 4:43 AM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 5:11 AM   #13

Well said, Harj

I think the lack of any new releases of FT lenses as well as a total lack of any planned releases is more a concern to me as that it shows no r&d and commitment to the FT system.

I honestly can't say that I'd run out and buy a bunch of lenses if they did as I can't afford the lenses that they already have. But I think, a lot of others would......

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 12:16 PM   #14

I think the R&D is the key aspect of it all going forward, and why I think next week (if the rumors are true) is the most important day in the history of the format other than the day the e-1 was announced.

More specifically, I think the choice of sensor for the e-5 will tell us all we need to know. With panasonic out of the regular 4/3s market, will olympus keep paying panasonic to develop sensors for a semi pro body? Or will olympus be limited to whatever is done for the micro 4/3s format, which by its nature is aimed at a cheaper consumer market? Or, which is my fear, will olympus be so reluctant to invest in regular 4/3s bodies that they will be stuck with old m4/3s sensors?

Which is why I hope the rumor site for 4/3s is wrong. Because if they are right, olympus isn't getting the new gh2 sensor, or even the gh1 sensor. If on their new flagship camera they can't even get the latest panasonic sensors, that would say a lot about their commitment to it.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 1:02 PM   #15

If the new E5 has the same sensor and AA filter off the E-PL1 it will have the best image quality to date from any Olympus DSLR. That would be a good thing and far from being old technology. The bigger issue with Olympus is what they put around the sensor and the AF system they use. If those systems are just warmed over E3 or E30 technology with little or no added utility that's much worse to me than whatever sensor they wind up using.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 1:48 PM   #16

Well, considering that the last time a new sensor was introduced to olympus dslrs was a couple of years ago, saying that the e-pl1 sensor would be the best sensor so far isn't saying much. And while I do think that the e-pl1 would be fine on a e-xxx body, the e-5 is supposedly the top of the line dslr.

If the top of the line, flagship, best model we will likely have for the next 3 years only manages to use a sensor that is already a generation behind its own system, and will soon be 2 generations behind (with the release of GH2), then that will basically tell me the dslr's place on its list of priorities.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 3:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpin View Post
If the top of the line, flagship, best model we will likely have for the next 3 years only manages to use a sensor that is already a generation behind its own system, and will soon be 2 generations behind (with the release of GH2), then that will basically tell me the dslr's place on its list of priorities.
I have a feeling we all already know where that is and we're just kidding ourselves to think any more of it than that. Both "pro" models sold by Olympus, the E1 and E3, were already more than just a little behind when they were introduced. Your chances of getting anything more in this model are less than when those two were introduced. Nothing about this new model is going to change the status quo and, whatever it is, it'll be too expensive up front for me to consider replacing my E30 anyway.

This is the end of the line. You might as well consol yourself to that. I have. Beyond this is the mirrorless world...embrace it, or buy a Canon. It's about to be here whether we want it or not.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 3:30 PM   #18

Greg does have a point regards the other systems that make up the camera. A similar question was put to Pana's Pro video spokeswoman over at the DVXuser forum about teh up and coming AG-AF100 - potential users and specifically those currently shooting with the Gh1 were wonderign if the Gh1's sensor was going to be used and if so how was Pana going to get around all of the shortcomings that pro vid shooters with the GH1 have had to work with (rolling shutter, high ISO, AA issues, etc). Her response was very clear - that the AF100 was getting a newer version of the GH1 sensor but to address those issues raised since the Gh1's launch Pana had developed dedicated systems specifically for a pro level video camera and that they were able to effectively deal with the majority if not close to all of them. I liked her final comment -was kind of stating that Pana have been making pro level video cameras 30 odd years so, they do know what theyre doing. Now, I'm hoping that Oly's had the same level of planning for the E3 updated - yes it needs a new sensor but as Greg's pointed out all of the other sub systems - AF module esp need to be updated and if theyre not then its just as bad as having last years Gh1 sensor and the EPXX inards all thrown together. It'd be a good camera but outdated compared to the competition on release and thats not something that any one wants.

Sensorwise, I think the only game really in town is Pana esp now with all of the cam manufacturers putting HD video as a key feature into their cameras. When you look at the GH1 sensor ,.. its was as good as any APS-C sensor when it was released and I don;t think anybody thought that was possible. Now If the new one is better that'll be just great!
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 3:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I have a feeling we all already know where that is and we're just kidding ourselves to think any more of it than that. Both "pro" models sold by Olympus, the E1 and E3, were already more than just a little behind when they were introduced. Your chances of getting anything more in this model are less than when those two were introduced. Nothing about this new model is going to change the status quo and, whatever it is, it'll be too expensive up front for me to consider replacing my E30 anyway.

This is the end of the line. You might as well consol yourself to that. I have. Beyond this is the mirrorless world...embrace it, or buy a Canon. It's about to be here whether we want it or not.

Sadly, I kind of agree. It is wishful thinking at this point to hope for anything more than leftovers from m4/3s, given that seems to be where the money is. If I wasn't planning on a major upgrade this wouldn't be an issue, but given that I am, I'm not going to spend that much money on a system with no future expansion possibilities. Hopefully they will surprise us and I won't be partibg with my 50mmf2.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 6:56 PM   #20

Greg,

Just took a look images displayed in your recent post in the Olympus micro four thirds forum on using the E-PL1/70-300mm lens at the Botanical Gardens.

As with all your images, these are outstanding. The reason I make mention of it in this post is simply that, speaking for myself only, if the new E-x dslr can consistently produce output like that - with the same sensor as found in the E-PL1, then I've no complaints.

That last image of the Great Blue Heron would be framed and on my wall-if it were mine.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote