Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 6, 2010, 5:48 AM   #1

Default Features I'd like to see in the E-5

With all the rumors and subsequent chatter on forums regarding the next iteration of an E- series dlsr and what that camera might have, in terms of features I started thinking about what would be important to me. What would prompt me to upgrade.

Here's my list: (in no particular order)

1-memory storage: 2 compact flash cards, or at the very least, 1CF card and 1 SD card. Please, Olympus, get rid of the XD card!

2- Body weather sealed no more to say on that

3--Viewfinder 100% coverage. I would also like the viewfinder to have an internal shutter as found in the E-1. This eliminates the possibility of light entering thru the viewfinder in long exposure images or when your eye is away from the viewfinder. A throw back to the old days but a feature that really is worthwhile.

Also, the ability to change focusing screens i.e. the FS-2 focusing screen as found on the E-1.

4- 3" LCD Screen with higher resolution

5- 12mp

5- Firmware upgrades The ability to download firmware upgrades to a compact flash card then install in the camera as opposed to the current system which I hate.

6- AF confirm for legacy lenses. I would think that Olympus has the ability to implement such a feature.

7-Better DR ISO performance - Unless Olympus changes the sensor size-which ain't happenin' any new Olympus offering will be somewhat limited in this area. I would be quite happy with the sensor and JPEG engine used in the E-PL1. Let's face it, if you want the ultimate in high ISO performance, upgrade to a full frame body.
I'm just being real here since I'd be very happy with clean images taken at ISO 3200

8- AF lens adjustment - incorporate the ability to fine tune and store the focus for each lens as is currently found in the E-30.

9- 150,000 shutter life expectancy.

10 Level feature as found in the E-30

11- Improved AF performance-The ability of the current AF system to 'lock ' onto a bird in flight or any other fast moving subject is frustrating to me.

Notice I haven't said anything about movie capability. I know to many that is an important feature. It's not to me. Wether the cammera has this feature or not would not enter into my buying decision.

The features, as listed above, would be compelling enough for me to seriously look at upgrading. The 2 most important improvements, to me, would be better low light performance -cleaner/ noise free images at ISO 3200 and AF performance to capture birds in flight. Don't get me wrong, the E-30 is a huge improvement over any other Olympus camera save the E-3. But those two improvements would give me pause for thought.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; Sep 6, 2010 at 6:17 AM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:01 AM   #2

Hi Zig,

I'd agree to all of the above !!

Video:
Now, I'm not really into video and don;t have a need for it but it needs to be in the E-X and at 1080p. 720p will not just cut it esp when the 7D and Nikons D400 will be at 1080p.

Articulated screen:
They somehow need to improve the build quality on this as I've noticed the one on my E3 seems to be coming apart. At the moment I've noticed a slight gap opening up but it really shouldn't be doing that unless I did dropped or damaged the camera. 920k or even higher.

Sensor:
They have to use the latest Pana sensor, its going to be a nice improvement even over the GH1's but whether Pana have first dibs on it who knows. High ISO - I;d be happy with good 3200 anything better is just a plus. If theyre going to throw in last years Pana sensors from the EP-x , it simply won;t be good enough

Product Cycle:
Oly needs to change the E3 product cycle to 2 years. The E3 is a semi pro camera like the 7D/d300 and not competing against the likes of the D3/1D's.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:43 AM   #3

Hi Harj,

Glad you mentioned the articulated screen. The E-30's is a very good, IMHO, design.

As for video, I know there are many folks who believe that without it, the camera is just a no go. For me personally, It would be nice to have and I'd tinker with it. But, for me to upgrade- that would not be a consideration.

It will be interesting to see just exactly which sensor the new camera will use.
Obviously, with a new release of a flagship DSLR, you'd think they would have the latest and greatest. Especially since, to your very valid point, Olympus is painfully slow to release new models.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 11:49 AM   #4

You can add AF assist lamp to the list of things Olympus should have on the flagship.

Lord knows what Oly's plans are with the upgrade path. It may be that this will be the last upgrade, and I'll be happy to hear some concrete news that its release is certain. For being right around the corner, there has been little if any real leaks.

The one thing that the E-3 misses in my use is autofocus tracking. It seems the original firmware update was best here, but that bridge was burned long ago. They need to have much more processing power devoted to focus operation. The speed is fine. The ability to predict the next focus point is behind the market. Any improvement in that area would go a long ways for me.

We get to find out soon what Oly has up their sleeve. If they fail to announce a 4/3 body, then there will likely never be another release.

If they drop the mount, I'll need to start figuring where to go from here. I like the Nikon stuff, but hate to think of a 600mm f4 price and bulk to replace the ability I have now. I may just keep the stuff I have now and run it until one of us drops.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 11:58 AM   #5

You can add AF assist lamp to the list of things Olympus should have on the flagship.

Lord knows what Oly's plans are with the upgrade path. It may be that this will be the last upgrade, and I'll be happy to hear some concrete news that its release is certain. For being right around the corner, there has been little if any real leaks.

The one thing that the E-3 misses in my use is autofocus tracking. It seems the original firmware update was best here, but that bridge was burned long ago. They need to have much more processing power devoted to focus operation. The speed is fine. The ability to predict the next focus point is behind the market. Any improvement in that area would go a long ways for me.

We get to find out soon what Oly has up their sleeve. If they fail to announce a 4/3 body, then there will likely never be another release.

If they drop the mount, I'll need to start figuring where to go from here. I like the Nikon stuff, but hate to think of a 600mm f4 price and bulk to replace the ability I have now. I may just keep the stuff I have now and run it until one of us drops.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 12:10 PM   #6

Hi Greg,

You're right about the need to improve the Auto Focus' ability to lock onto a subject. It is one of the 2 major improvements that, I believe, Olympus needs to address going forward in any release of a new DSLR.

That along with High ISO improvement would provoke me to buy another Olympus with those features OR convince me to go to Nikon and just invest in a D700.

I went out this morning to a Trout Hatchery in our town. It's only a couple of miles from my house. Why I don't go there more often is beyond me as it affords many opportunities for shooting Osprey, Hawks, Heron - any fish that love to dine on Trout.

While I like the output of my E-30 in combination with the 50-200mm + EC20, when it comes to shooting birds in a tree or sitting. I just plain get frustrated when trying to shoot a bird in flight.

Here are a couple of shots of hawks, with the first being the mother and the 2nd being the offspring. I was about 50 to 75ft away when taking these. When it came time to shoot the birds in mid flight, I just plain had a devil of a time locking on.

Zig
Attached Images

Old Sep 6, 2010, 1:26 PM   #7

As I said in the other thread, I plan on doing a major upgrade on my kit soon. Here are the key things for me to consider sticking with olympus:

- Significantly better noise and DR. The sharpness and speed of the 14-54 (or even 12-60 if I upgrade it too) can only do so much.I understand that Olympus will never catch up to the canikons of the world in this regard, but as long as it does not lag behind too much, then I believe oly glass can more than make up the difference. But right now that difference is more than 1 generation. A reasonable improvement on the GH1 would make me quite happy.

- 100% viewfinder coverage. This is very likely, but it is also one of the main reasons I want to upgrade my kit.

- Better articulating lcd.

- Reasonable price. They've messed this up in the past when they released the e-30 at almost the street price of the e-3 (luckily now the price is much more reasonable). If they want to compete with the 7d and d300s, olympus can't price it at 1500 body only without some serious upgrades.

I think those are the things that drive me right now. I don't take a lot of sports photography, or do a lot of birding. So the AF would be good but not necessary for me.

Finally, one thing that I would want to see, but that is not directly related to the e-5, is something, anything, that indicates a commitment to the long term viability of the regular four thirds system. From the 100mm macro lens that was on the roadmap announced for 2008 that never came, to the announced firmware updates to the 12-60 and 50-200 to make them compatible with the cdaf, I think people need a strong reminder that regular 4/3s are not disappearing any time soon.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 2:03 PM   #8

Hi Dlpin,

Based on the list of features that you've listed, the E-30 is really very close to meeting your particular needs. I've had mine for about 18months and I have to say that it is a major improvement over the E-510 that it replaced.

The ISO performance is a real step up along with the better dynamic range. The issue of blown highlights etc. is really no longer a problem. I've stated that I'd like to get cleaner images at ISO3200 and I still do. But I must add that I can get most of those issues behind me with the use of pp software.

The articulating screen on the E-30 is very solid. The screen itself could be a bit larger and have higher resolution. But it does perform as designed.

Large viewfinder. The E-30 (98%) has a significantly larger OPV than the E-520. That with the way the info is displayed across the bottom of the screen is a big time improvement.

The E-30 has a significantly improved AF system over the E-520. The ability to adjust the AF to calibrate specific lenses is a very powerful feature. The fact that you can change the sensitivity of the AF points from large to small is also no minor improvement over what the E-520 has. 11 point focus system vs 3 point on the E-520.

The E-30 has a lot of other features but since you didn't list anything else, they may not be of importance to you.

As for price, you're right, the E-30 is priced fairly competitively in todays market. Olympus will, no doubt, place a premium on their newest camera. I'm afraid it will list out at more money than either will like to spend.

Zig

Old Sep 6, 2010, 3:02 PM   #9

I understand a premium on new releases. But the e-3 was announced within weeks of the 40d and the d300, so all cameras it was competing against also had that premium in their price.

Meanwhile, the d300s and the 7d have been out for a bit. It was one thing to release the e3 with a $1700 msrp because its two competitors had been just announced with higher msrps and had the same premium going. It would be another thing to release an e-5 with a $1700 msrp with the d300s and the 7d street prices already at least a couple of hundred dollars lower than the msrp.

And thanks for the e30 recommendation. It is certainly something I'll consider. But what I really need right now is something that shows a commitment to the format, even if I go with an existing body.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 4:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpin View Post
But what I really need right now is something that shows a commitment to the format, even if I go with an existing body.
Don't we all.

Zig