Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
I saw those at $19.95 and thought, "I paid a bit more than that...."
I'm not even going to admit how much I overpaid for mine a few years ago. I'm almost tempted just to pick up a couple of new ones in case I decide to buy some more legacy glass.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 4:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderchild View Post
Ignore me I have been a total spanner!

Left my adaptor on the camera when I attached the auto lens!

I need to go lie down in a dark room!!!!!
I don't get it...how could you mount the kit lens on an adapter (whatever that adapter is)? The kit lens has a 4/3 mount. The adapter was probably an OM mount (assuming you have old Zuiko lenses) or it could be any other mount... anything but 4/3

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; Sep 7, 2010 at 8:26 PM.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 7:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I don't get it...how could you mount the kit lens on an adapter (whatever that adapter is)? The kit lens is has a 4/3 mount. The adapter was probably an OM mount (assuming you have old Zuiko lenses)...
Thank you Tullio.

As I had the same reaction when I first read this. I'm not sure this was possible....

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 2:28 AM   #14

I don't know either but it did fit! I had the OM to 4/3 adaptor left on and the 4/3 kit lens popped straight on. I didn't think it would fit but it does.

I took the picture below, E420 body, adaptor and kit lens all fitted together. This is the last time that I will do this tho!

Olympus E420, 17.5-45mm, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm and 25mm lens

Kodak Z950
Thunderchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 5:00 AM   #15

Hi Sam,

I didn't doubt you, just think that the design is a bit flawed to be able to allow anyone to inadvertently install a ZD lens into an adapter. I'm concerned about the gold contacts of the lens being harmed.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 5:14 AM   #16

Yes my thoughts too, which is why I will pay more attention next time! It doesn't appear to have done anything to the lens as there are no marks on the contacts but I would think that if you did it a lot it would not be healthy for the lens.

Kodak Z950
Old Sep 8, 2010, 3:29 PM   #17

I'm stunned! Obviously the design of the adapter is such that it does not interfere with the 4/3 lens mount design. However, you could easily get into a situation where you would not be able to remove the adapter from the 4/3 lens. Then you'd have a real problem.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 9:44 PM   #18

All of this makes me wonder why Olympus didn;t just use the OM mount in the first place. Every other maker uses a mount from the film days. Never had Oly film cameras but did they ever make AF OM lenses? That's the only reason I could think of but even then they could have produced something akin to the AFA that Pentax made that will auto focus manual glass, with limits you have to get the focus in the right range since the glass in the AFA has limited travel.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
All of this makes me wonder why Olympus didn;t just use the OM mount in the first place. Every other maker uses a mount from the film days.
John
You must be thinking about Nikon - my pro tog friends tell me that Canon has lenses in at least four different mounts currently.

If a 4/3 lens fits in the OM adapter that easily, it appears that the adapter has only one purpose - to get the flange distance correct for focus at infinity. I.e. it sounds like they did use the OM mount except for the electrical contact layout.

Sam is the first person I know of, to have discovered this.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post

Sam is the first person I know of, to have discovered this.

Ted
Yay! I discovered something!

Funny thing is that the manual lenses will not fit the body they have to have the adaptor but the auto lens will fit the adaptor! If I could find an adaptor that would allow the auto lens to work I would be well happy as it could stay on the body at all times, no faffing about!

Kodak Z950