Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:42 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
All of this makes me wonder why Olympus didn;t just use the OM mount in the first place. Every other maker uses a mount from the film days. Never had Oly film cameras but did they ever make AF OM lenses? ............................................
John
Yes, Oly did make some AF OM lens. In addition to my OM-2, I also owned an OM-77 which took the Olympus autofocus OM lens. The lens however, were not interchangeable with the OM-2, I donít know why Oly did not use that mount for the 4/3 series, they look very similar. I have a nice range of Oly AF lens that I canít use on my E-series cameras. I was hoping that someone would produce an adapter someday for the four thirds, but apparently there is not enough old legacy Oly AF lens to make it worthwhile.

Steve
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:43 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
If a 4/3 lens fits in the OM adapter that easily, it appears that the adapter has only one purpose - to get the flange distance correct for focus at infinity. I.e. it sounds like they did use the OM mount except for the electrical contact layout.
Not necessarily. It could be that the OM mount has flanges that will prevent the lens from mounting on a 4/3 body but, reason for the adapter to be required. However, the 4/3 mount has a slightly different design that will actually fit on the OM adapter. So my guess is that the two mounts are almost identical but not quite. Canon on the other hand, has totally different mounts. An EOS lens will not fit on a FD adapter and vice-versa.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 12:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Yes, Oly did make some AF OM lens. In addition to my OM-2, I also owned an OM-77 which took the Olympus autofocus OM lens. The lens however, were not interchangeable with the OM-2, I donít know why Oly did not use that mount for the 4/3 series, they look very similar. I have a nice range of Oly AF lens that I canít use on my E-series cameras. I was hoping that someone would produce an adapter someday for the four thirds, but apparently there is not enough old legacy Oly AF lens to make it worthwhile.

Steve
Well I learned something new today. I don't ever recall seeing an AF Olympus lens for sale but I'll admit to not looking that much.

Quote:
You must be thinking about Nikon - my pro tog friends tell me that Canon has lenses in at least four different mounts currently.

Ted
Yeah, Nikon and pentax though from what I hear Nikon is going away from the old mount. I know the 4/3rds system was touted as the first 'pure digital' series of DSLRs since they didn't have backward lens compatibility so obviously Oly thought it was a better strategy to try and from what Steven has said about the lack of AF OM lenses I imagine it was.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 8:27 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
I know the 4/3rds system was touted as the first 'pure digital' series of DSLRs since they didn't have backward lens compatibility so obviously Oly thought it was a better strategy to try and from what Steven has said about the lack of AF OM lenses I imagine it was.

John
John, this was not only (or maybe not at all) a marketing decision. Technically, as Wrotniak notes, "to achieve the same final image quality, a lens designed for the Four Thirds system has to be twice as sharp (in terms of absolute resolution) as a lens intended for a film camera" [he's referring to 35mm here]. Which is why a few of us (me and Zig at least) have found legacy glass to be less satisfying than the ZD (or PL) 4/3 glass. (I suppose a lens designed to be sharp for an APS-C sensor would be good on a 4/3 sensor - these sensor sizes are pretty close.)

Ted

PS: Reference is at the Lens Resolution section of this page:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/any-lens.html
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:24 AM   #25

Quote:
...Which is why a few of us (me and Zig at least) have found legacy glass to be less satisfying than the ZD (or PL) 4/3 glass. ...
Even though there are adapters for just about every lens mount that there is, not all legacy lenses will produce great results on a 4/3 and/or m4/3 system. Some of the issues have to do with lens construction but a lot has to do with some sort of incompatibility between the camera and the lens in terms of its sweet spot (which in this case, there isn't one). On a m4/3 system, most Canon FD lenses work real well. Some old Nikon glasses work great too, the same with Minolta. However, the Sigmas and Tamrons are hit and misses.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 5:48 AM   #26

Quote:
John, this was not only (or maybe not at all) a marketing decision. Technically, as Wrotniak notes, "to achieve the same final image quality, a lens designed for the Four Thirds system has to be twice as sharp (in terms of absolute resolution) as a lens intended for a film camera" [he's referring to 35mm here]. Which is why a few of us (me and Zig at least) have found legacy glass to be less satisfying than the ZD (or PL) 4/3 glass. (I suppose a lens designed to be sharp for an APS-C sensor would be good on a 4/3 sensor - these sensor sizes are pretty close.)

Ted

PS: Reference is at the Lens Resolution section of this page:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/any-lens.html

Hi All,

My feelings on the use of legacy glass is if you've got them from an old 35mm slr, then by all means try them. You may be in for a pleasant surprise.
And yes, as Ted has mentioned, I have found them to be a bit less than satisfying- on the whole. There is such a preponderance of old lenses available with many of them, as Tullio has pointed out to be a hit and miss proposition. I went out like many others who got the legacy glass bug and bought a bunch of older OM, some Tokina, etc. lenses only to find out that, I really got better MORE CONSISTANT results from the ZD kit lenses.

With the money I spent on legacy glass over time, I could and should have bought an external flash and a 50mm 2.0 ZD lens.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; Sep 11, 2010 at 6:32 AM.
zig-123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 9:39 AM   #27

While I sometimes use my legacy lens, I already had a large collection from my film cameras.

The results are not as consistent as the digital. I have them, but the money was already spent before digital came along. I wouldn't buy anymore unless it was a special lens at a really low price. I would rather invest in digital glass.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 2:21 PM   #28

It would seem that inconsistent results with old glass is something Oly knew would happen which is why they marketed the sysytem as 'pure digital'. Spending a lot of time in the Pentax lens forum and that system doesn't have the same issues. Old glass is still hit and miss but it's in the lens not the system. It's odd to me considering that the 4/3rds sensor is so small that it is using only the center of the lens on old glass which is usually the sweet spot. I have great luck with Tamron SP lenses that are sharp in the center.

The 4/3rds is probably dying anyway so I may yet end up back at Pentax where I was with film. See how the old glass shakes out with it....

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote