Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 13, 2010, 3:27 PM   #1

Default Something slightly different _ Pana AF-AG100 but definitely interesting

Panasonic have finally shown their first working version of their m43 pro video camera. It looks pretty sweet and you can see a video of the wee beastie here (less than $6000USD without lens.. apparently thats pocket money to the pro video guys!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjhpwWUTCao

Whats good - the new sensor and electronics are doing exactly what Pana said they would and from all accounts IQ is very good - so hopefully, the EX gets to use the same new sensor.

Now, I'm curious as to what lens is attached to that Pana ? Is it the 12-60 or the 14-35F2 ? The lens hood is obscuring it but if the AG100 does fly off the shelves like it looks as if it will, then I can see Oly selling a lot of HG and SHG lenses. Fingers crossed they drop the prices a bit !!

More info here:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=222650

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2010, 4:18 PM   #2

Harj, I think that camera will make a big splash in the pro market.

What's funny is, on the forums a lot of folks are calling it ugly. Whenever you see that you can assume the poster is not a pro. I've worked with a lot of video camera pros over the years and they never, ever hand-hold a camera unless there is absolutely no other choice. They end up carrying a lot of video and associated audio gear from their vehicle to the site of the shoot. So what they want in terms of the appearance of a video camera, is the biggest friggin handle on the top that can possibly fit, so that it's easy to carry.

Ted

PS: Six large is expensive but not out of bounds if the performance is there. And if it's lighter than the current pro cams (which it appears to be) then the sticks can be less heavy, always a big plus when you also have to cart microphones, mixers and other gear.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Sep 13, 2010 at 4:20 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 7:06 PM   #3

Canon has been developing a HD camcorder that shots at 4000p and which uses a sensor that is only 8 meg. So much for the outdated concept that sensors have to be getting larger for better performance
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 7:27 PM   #4

Steve.. 4000p .. crickey .. thats gonna be a monster! The real 800lb gorilla in the vid world's been Red but it looks as if Pana's gone ahead and stolen the show.

Ok.. more news on that beastie:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=222673

1. that lens in the video - it was the 14-35f2.

2. "As for images – well, imagine a fully-hacked, fully-improved GH13 with better sensitivity and without the aliasing or low-light banding, and that's a good start. It crushes the 7D/5D for clarity and detail, and I shot brick buildings at every possible zoom setting, and there just isn't any rainbow moire. Finally! You can do a wide-angle, deep-focus shot without any fear of the camcorder ruining the shot! And your talent can wear corduroy, or fine-striped shirts, without turning into a huge purple/orange smear! But I can't really comment too much on the imagery, because it's not done yet – by their estimates, it's only at about 70% of completion, and they expect to be able to improve it and make it even better by release time. Which is really promising, because while it's not perfect, already it's better than what people are going to be comparing it to."

Ok thats for video.. if that sensor can do that kind of IQ for stills then I want one... well not just yet but I'll be saving my pennies. Now I'm just hoping that Oly haven;t stuck to using the 20-month old G\EPX m43 sensor for the E-X. If they have then I'll personally go and slap their head of R&D and get to wander around Japan for a wee bit!

Looks as if Pana have hit a "home run" for the Video Pro's which is great news... What's got me is how they "Pana" have been listening to Pro's in the Video world in getting the product right.. heck the US Pro Video Product manager is an avid poster over at the DVX forum! Oly could really learn a thing or two.

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Sep 13, 2010 at 7:29 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 7:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
"And your talent can wear corduroy, or fine-striped shirts,"
In case folks don't know this, "talent" is the term pro vid folks use to refer to the person they're shooting (rather than "subject"). In the world of broadcast video pros at least, it's intended to be sarcastic, referring to enormous egos...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote