Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 14, 2010, 2:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpin View Post
...Why would anyone without a collection of shg glass buy this camera?
I do so I will, when the price drops. I have the best, and best for value glass around and if the E-5 delivers what it promises I can see it carrying me for years (probably will ultimately need 2 of them).

But you're correct - I don't see anyone without Oly glass buying one. Most folks are clueless as to the cost-effectiveness of Oly (and PL 4/3) lenses. Sadly, this E-5 won't allow the Oly or PL glass to get on their radar screens.

However, look at this post:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=36320789

I'm inclined to agree with Steve's points.

Ted

PS: This may be just like my old '67 MGB - maybe I'm just a niche market kind of guy...

Last edited by tkurkowski; Sep 14, 2010 at 2:34 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 3:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
I do so I will, when the price drops. I have the best, and best for value glass around and if the E-5 delivers what it promises I can see it carrying me for years (probably will ultimately need 2 of them).

But you're correct - I don't see anyone without Oly glass buying one. Most folks are clueless as to the cost-effectiveness of Oly (and PL 4/3) lenses. Sadly, this E-5 won't allow the Oly or PL glass to get on their radar screens.

However, look at this post:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=36320789

I'm inclined to agree with Steve's points.

Ted

PS: This may be just like my old '67 MGB - maybe I'm just a niche market kind of guy...

I completely agree with the points that that guy made. And I understand why Olympus is doing this. Heck, it would be irresponsible to their shareholders if they diverted resources from their m4/3 line to spend on R&D for their 4/3s line.

Which is one of the reasons I was sort of expecting this thing for a couple of months now.

And you are right that the olympus lenses are phenomenal and a reason to get into the system in the first place.

But given that the direction that they are heading is quite clear, and that my investment in the system is relatively minor (most expensive lens I have is the 14-54), I will jump ship soon. Which is a bit sad. Back when I bought my first olympus E body, it had so many more features than the competition, some really innovative, with great lenses, that it was a no brainer. Add to that that it was cheaper too, and it was win win.

Now it not only lags behind (I don't consider art filters worth mentioning), but it is also more expensive...
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 4:27 PM   #13

The way I see it, it might stop me investing into more Olympus gears ... since I do not see any *huge* improvements in the "E" line of DSLR...
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 5:05 PM   #14

A wee update by Ken Norton over at Zone 10 on the E5

http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?op...tpage&Itemid=1

Thats enough for me.. back to learning how to retouch 101.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 2:08 AM   #15

Meanwhile, the d7000 is already on sale for 1200 at amazon. E-5 sales will be a disaster if that 1700 price doesn't drop very fast very soon.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 4:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
..but wanted to mention that oddly the preview from Imaging Resource is favorable:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E5/E5A.HTM
Thanks for the link, I'm looking forward to seeing some more reviews and plenty of sample images!
Facebook

Olympus E30 | Zuiko 50-200mm SWD | EC-14 | EC-20| EX-25 | FL-50R
piXelatedEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 7:43 AM   #17

Quote:
But given that the direction that they are heading is quite clear, and that my investment in the system is relatively minor (most expensive lens I have is the 14-54), I will jump ship soon. Which is a bit sad. Back when I bought my first olympus E body, it had so many more features than the competition, some really innovative, with great lenses, that it was a no brainer. Add to that that it was cheaper too, and it was win win.

Now it not only lags behind (I don't consider art filters worth mentioning), but it is also more expensive...
I hear what you're saying - I suspect this is the last Oly with an OVF. I expect Oly to produce a "pro" m43 body with an EVF at some point in the future, that might actually be OK if it has a good enough EVF and the 4/3 lenses retain their capabilities on it. Lacking that, there's no chance I'm going to be interested - no change I'm holding a camera out at arms length...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Meanwhile, the d7000 is already on sale for 1200 at amazon. E-5 sales will be a disaster if that 1700 price doesn't drop very fast very soon.
The Nikon D7000 looks to be an incredible camera. Not too long ago I did a pretty exhaustive look at the Nikkor range of lenses. If I were to ever make a switch I would be using a downgraded set of lenses. I will not be buying in optically at an equivalent 12-60 and 50-200 SWD optics level I currently own with Olympus with anyone else going forward. I'm not even sure Nikon has anything the calibre of those two lenses at an equivalent price. The 16-85 and latest, most advanced version of the 70-300 would be sufficient for what I would want to do. Of course, I'd also need to buy a flash.

Switching systems when you are fully "bought in" to another is not an easy thing....just the thought of having to possibly go through the process is nausiating, but the last thing you want to do is wait too long and lose all the value of your current lens system. Bodies will always come, lose value and go, but you hope items like lenses and flash units to a lesser extent will be useable over several generations of bodies. In the end if Olympus can't make a long-term committment to their system, why in the world should anyone else? Why did we?
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:10 AM   #19
Super Moderator

I am wondering what their long term outlook is at Olympus.

It is no doubt in the mirrorless realm, they went right out and stated that. They said they will continue to support their 4/3 line of lenses, but will it be an afterthought to the m4/3 system, or just through the adapters. They will no doubt make a mirrorless 4/3 mount camera, but will they develop it as a line, or just a way to not completely alienate those that bought into the 4/3 system. Will they continue to even develop new 4/3 lenses, or will it be 99% m4/3 lenses from here out.

I had for a while considered (idk how seriously) buying into the 4/3 system for the good lenses and compatibility with the m4/3 when needed, and since my gf shoots canon, its not that unreasonable to have 2 systems. But really, with the lackluster development of the E-5, and the uncertain future of the 4/3, why would I? Esp at that price point, and esp when you have something like the D7000 for 500$ cheaper.. Easier to just buy a few m4/3 lenses.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The Nikon D7000 looks to be an incredible camera. Not too long ago I did a pretty exhaustive look at the Nikkor range of lenses. If I were to ever make a switch I would be using a downgraded set of lenses. I will not be buying in optically at an equivalent 12-60 and 50-200 SWD optics level I currently own with Olympus with anyone else going forward. I'm not even sure Nikon has anything the calibre of those two lenses at an equivalent price. The 16-85 and latest, most advanced version of the 70-300 would be sufficient for what I would want to do. Of course, I'd also need to buy a flash.

Switching systems when you are fully "bought in" to another is not an easy thing....just the thought of having to possibly go through the process is nausiating, but the last thing you want to do is wait too long and lose all the value of your current lens system. Bodies will always come, lose value and go, but you hope items like lenses and flash units to a lesser extent will be useable over several generations of bodies. In the end if Olympus can't make a long-term committment to their system, why in the world should anyone else? Why did we?
I know exactly what you are talking about. Every time in the past that I thought about changing systems, I would go on to some site like lenstip or slrgear and try to find anything that was anywhere as good as my 14-54 for a similar price, and the truth was that to come close to it in terms of edge to edge sharpness I would have had to spend at least 1000 bucks.

I think that the 14-54 and 12-60 are phenomenal lenses, made stronger by the fact that a smaller sensor means you have less corner problems due to being able to use a smaller part of the image circle, and by the fact that the 2x crop factor means that they can cover as wide a focal distance range as many cameras that have to be actually longer.

But having to spend 500 bucks more on a lens to get close in quality is a lot easier when the body is 500 bucks cheaper and the sensor much better.

And considering the two interviews with amateurphotographer this year where they have basically outright said that the future is mirrorless, which is something that right now I have no interest in, and I think its time to switch brands. Especially since my current oly gear is not optimized for cdaf cameras (the 14-54 is mark 1, for example), and will certainly lose value very fast when they do go mirrorless.