Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 16, 2010, 6:39 PM   #41

They go the way of the Betamax?
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 8:23 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
So what happens to the great CZ T-Star glass if Sony pulls out?
They would still make MF glass for other systems so I suppose they could switch the AF to one of them.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 6:13 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
They go the way of the Betamax?
Hah! It would be better if they go the way of the Betacam.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 3:28 PM   #44

OK been reading posts on the new E5, and its getting a lot of criticism.

At 1st my thoughts were a little similar, then I started to think what I want from my camera.

12MB Thats OK with me as long as improvement in dynamic range and ISO. I would want this over a 14-15MB sensor with bad dynamic range and ISO

Dynamic range. to be improved I think Olympus have made sufficient ground here I hope with the new truepic V+ Engine.

ISO by now we must accept that we will never be leading in this department but as long as the 4/3rd format keeps within 2 stops in comparison with competition I will stay with Olympus.

Screen 3" 921k Yes, worth upgrade.

5fps This is fast enough for me but I wish they would make the shutter quiet even in a single frame shooting mode. I do weddings, But by the looks of it no change here.

C-AF big question on a lot of our minds if fixed then get out the flags a definite worth upgrade problem.

Bracketing from 5f to 7f. a little welcome with HDR

Low light AF. This area can be improved not heard anything on this side.

720p Video mode. Yep worth an upgrade for me.

Flash cap, Remote Cap Eye cap. I keep losing them. just spent 18 on eyepiece and 2 on single Flash cap pain in the neck.

price tag $1700 ,1100

conclusion I will buy it at some point. If they do a deal like when I bought E3 got FL-50R flash, They could give you 50mm macro, FL-50r, 18mm Fish eye, SHV-1 flash power pack or something. Then I would buy because of deal if not then I wont be rushing out to get one.

But ask yourself what you want from a camera.
Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 4:01 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Brian View Post

12MB Thats OK with me as long as improvement in dynamic range and ISO. I would want this over a 14-15MB sensor with bad dynamic range and ISO

Dynamic range. to be improved I think Olympus have made sufficient ground here I hope with the new truepic V+ Engine.

ISO by now we must accept that we will never be leading in this department but as long as the 4/3rd format keeps within 2 stops in comparison with competition I will stay with Olympus.
For what it's worth, the guy who did the dpreview hands on preview said that he asked the olympus representative about DR and the rep. himself admitted there were no gains over the epl-1:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=36317850

Quote:
We asked about DR - it's not improved over the latest generation (Pen etc) - though these are better than the E-3 and other earlier cams.
High ISO is also going to be very similar to the PEN cameras - it's the same sensor and the big changes in the E-5 concern sharpness and resolution. The higher ISO option is a reflection of improved processing (i.e. don't expect miracles with ISO 6400 raw). We'll post output as soon as we have a reviewable sample.
Simon

To me, I think that is the biggest disappointment. I am completely OK with 10 or 12 megapixels, as I don't need more than that, but there should have been at least some progress in those areas.

I think that the early olympus cameras got tagged as "noisy" cameras unfairly and when you looked at actual output they weren't any worse than the competition. But I think that the gap has increased significantly, and depending on how good the new sony sensor that is in the d7000 and a55 is, I could easily see a two stop difference between them.

Ps: I apologize to the mods in advance if linking to other sites is a big no-no.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote