Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 14, 2010, 3:38 AM   #1

Default so, the new E5 is official..

Quick Preview and Spec overview here:
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/OlympusE5/

Main changes from E3:

* New sensor (12MP vs 10MP Live MOS)
* New TruPic V+ processor (E-3 was TruPic III)
* Large 3.0" 921k vari-angle screen
* Fast Sensor AF (inc Face Detection)
* 720p movie mode (AVI M-JPEG) + Audio recording
* HDMI and Stereo Mic connections
* Art Filters (10, including new Dramatic Tone Filter)
* ISO 6400 top sensitivity (vs E-3's ISO 3200)
* More customization options
* Redesigned color-coded menu system
* New features including Level Gauge in the viewfinder, Multi-exposure, i-Enhance, 7 frame AEB
* SD / CF slots (E-3 was xD / CF)

Thoughts?
Facebook

Olympus E30 | Zuiko 50-200mm SWD | EC-14 | EC-20| EX-25 | FL-50R
piXelatedEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2010, 4:59 AM   #2

Its just a repackaged EP-X in an E3 shell. Too little too late and at 1500.00 ($2300.00USD) body only in the UK they must be joking.

I don;t have a problem with the 12MP but its clear that this E5 is simply a repackaged EP-X and if it had been released last year then it would have been ok for those needing an update to the E3. According to amateurphotographer.co.uk this E5 is the last of the FT's, so Ted you may have been just spot on.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ws_301801.html

Review wise, I think its going to get mauled and how they expect last years tech to carry on for another 3 years I have no idea.

Will i buy one, nope. Simple at 1500/2300USD there's simply noway.If my E3 fails, I may look for another E3 or just carry on with my slightly dogdy E1.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 5:05 AM   #3

For me, I was happy with the E-3.

The one area I had issues with the old camera was with the C-AF and trying to get it to work was like jumping through circus hoops. It certainly wasn't a "shoot away and don't worry about it" type of thing.

I've felt the issue with the focus was it was being starved for resousces. There wasn't enough processing power to make critical focus decisions. Its not clear if that is solved or not, but that was the thing I desired most from the new body. Did I get my wish????

Everything else seems fine. There wasn't that much broke to begin with. Im fine with the sensor, they dumpped the Xd, frame rate was always fine by me.

Lots of stuff that is new doesn't go too far with me. Art filters, 3" screen, video... I'd trade um all away if they promised I'd be happy with the focus.

I guess the jury is still out. Its clear the R&D budget has shifted away from the reflex cameras as this was really just a face lift.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/

Last edited by fldspringer; Sep 14, 2010 at 5:14 AM.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 5:20 AM   #4

Hi Greg

Totally agree with you on the E3 .. there was a lot right with it and its still a fine camera after 3 years. I don;t see how they think that they can simply repackage the EPX and the spec's clearly show thats what it basically is and then charge top $$$ for it.

Here's AP's editorial on the E5 and FT:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ws_301804.html

Harj

PS

Looks like I might have to start saving for a trip to Japan !
Old Sep 14, 2010, 5:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi Greg

Totally agree with you on the E3 .. there was a lot right with it and its still a fine camera after 3 years. I don;t see how they think that they can simply repackage the EPX and the spec's clearly show thats what it basically is and then charge top $$$ for it.

Here's AP's editorial on the E5 and FT:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ws_301804.html

Harj

PS

Looks like I might have to start saving for a trip to Japan !
Harj,

I'm not against the EPL sensor. It does a much better job at ISO1600 than my E-3 does at ISO800. For my needs, its fine. As DPR reports the AA filter is very light. I wouldn't pass judgement on that quite yet. It may be better than anticipated.

I'm invested in the glass. This body will be something I'm likely to adopt somewhere along the line. If the C-AF is corrected, it would be soon. If its the same old system doing the same old stuff, I'll wait till the street prices in the states drop a bit.

Greg

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 5:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Review wise, I think its going to get mauled and how they expect last years tech to carry on for another 3 years I have no idea.
Agree with your post, but wanted to mention that oddly the preview from Imaging Resource is favorable:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E5/E5A.HTM

BTW, that's the place that notes that the E-5 has the autofocus correction capability (like the E30) - I didn't see that in the Oly announcement.

I suspect it will have enough improvements that I'd be interested in it after the price comes down. But I am very underwhelmed. This is the same company that created the C2500L and the E10/20???

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 9:21 AM   #7

[QUOTE=HarjTT;1141257]Will i buy one, nope. Simple at 1500/2300USD....QUOTE]

The beauty of it here is, it will never be $2,300. I've seen $1,700US as the opening price, which is high enough indeed.

It'll most likely run image quality rings around the E3 and be improved over the E30. I'll be in a position to spend around that much on SOMETHING in December. This could be what that will be.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 9:26 AM   #8
Super Moderator

It seems like a great camera, and the image quality will be very nice since it is just the EPL1 sensor repackaged.

however, it just seems too late and/or underwhelming. i was expecting something innovative, cutting edge, this just seems like playing it too safe. not knocking the camera, i am sure it is the best 4/3 to date, just expected more.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:38 AM   #9

I'm sure its going to be a decent/good camera but this could have been released 12months ago. Whats new over an E3 - not much, SD card, Hi-res LCD, Gx\Epx sensor, Art filters, focus adjustment, HDMI, video... that could have all be done last year. If they had used the GH1 sensor and priced it reasonably (the pricing is insane) I would be looking at one say 12 months from now.

On another note.. the new Pana sensor in the AG100 according to Pana has 9 to 10 stops of DR, so I;d say the GH2 sensor will have the same. If its 10 then thats more than any FT sensor to date.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...222673&page=46

"The camera is not finished yet so there really isn't an official note to leave here. On the prototype I think Barry got either 9 or 10 stops out of it. "

Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems
Product Manager
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:09 PM   #10

If this camera was released last year and/or at a significantly lower price, it would be a fine upgrade.

But this year at 1700? Why would anyone without a collection of shg glass buy this camera? There is nothing to really differentiate it from last year's releases (d300s, 7d, k7) except a higher price. With the k7 at 999, the d300s and the 7d at 1500, and even the sony full frames for a bit more, the e-5 is very underwhelming. Heck, you can get a new e-3 for 999 and that will only go lower in the coming weeks.

Last edited by dlpin; Sep 14, 2010 at 12:15 PM.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote