Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 16, 2010, 8:46 AM   #1

Default OK Stupid Question, try not to laugh

but........

Is there a micro four thirds adaptor for the four thirds system?

Is there ever likely to be?

Olympus E420, 17.5-45mm, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm and 25mm lens

Kodak Z950
Thunderchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2010, 9:17 AM   #2

I doubt it as there's no money in it, and there's a lot of technical impossibilities involved in doing it. What's at issue is what the adapter to use FourThirds lenses on a Micro FourThirds camera does.

With FourThirds the flange back distance (distance between the lens mount and the film/sensor surface) is 40mm. With Micro FourThirds cameras that distance is halved. What the adapter for Micro FourThirds does is restore that 40mm distance (if you would measure the adapter you'd find it's 20mm). Like the EX25, there's no optic, you can stick your finger all the way through it.

In order to use a Micro FourThirds lens on a FourThirds camera you'd have to cut a bigger hole where the lens mount is now, remove the mirror, and insert the Micro lens 20mm INSIDE the camera as this diagram shows:

Now I don't doubt that with optical knowledge someone could design an adapter that will allow the Micro FourThirds lens to installed onto a FourThirds camera, but considering the adapter will have to have some ground optical glass, it's not a cheap endeavour.

It's not like the adapters that allow you to use third party lenses on your FourThirds camera because again all they do (besides giving you the 3rd party lens mount) is restore the 3rd party's flange back distance.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 9:22 AM   #3

Cool. Thanks x

Kodak Z950
Old Sep 16, 2010, 1:04 PM   #4

Mike is correct, but I wanted to be sure what your question is. Can you mount a micro43 lens on a 4/3 camera? No (as Mike explained). Can you mount a 4/3 lens on a micro4/3 camera? Yes, there are adapters to do that, and folks are doing it.

Sam, it's not a stupid question but you need to be sure of which question you're asking.

Ted

PS: I've seen very, very few stupid questions in this forum. I have seen, as well as provided, stupid answers though.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Sep 16, 2010 at 1:16 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 9:48 AM   #5

I was asking to mount a micro four thirds on to a four thirds body. I didn't think about the whole mirror-less thing but of course it makes sense that it wouldn't work.

Kodak Z950
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:10 AM   #6

Eventually....assuming the entire 4/3rd's system is going mirrorless, I would figure the two lens systems will be interchangeable in some sort of way. Who the heck knows what Olympus has planned....assuming they actually have something planned, which I guess should not be assumed by anyone!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote