Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 17, 2010, 8:34 AM   #1

Default New 4/3 manual focus lens announced

Interesting:
Samyang just announced a new 35mm f1.4 available in four-thirds mount, with manual focus. I think that makes 3 new 4/3 mount manual focus lens this year. The 8mm f3.5 fish-eye, and the 85mm f1.4 were previously announced.

Steven R.

http://www.samyang.pl/article,8,news...6c870a74e10177

http://www.1001noisycameras.com/2010...announced.html

Last edited by Steven R; Sep 17, 2010 at 8:50 AM.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2010, 4:09 PM   #2

My eyesight is as bad as it gets. I have always had a hard time manually focusing using my E1 and that wonderful finder. Trying to using anything less is a lost cause, which would include my E30.

These type lenses are ones where a mirrorless camera with an eyelevel electronic finder would be an "eye opener". I can manually focus the little Panasonic 20mm f1.7 using the eyelevel VF-2 finder fitted to a Pen E-PL1 as easy or easier than I ever could manually focus using a manual focus film-based SLR.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 4:51 PM   #3

These samyang/rokinon lenses aren't something a pro would use, but for their price, their quality is outstanding. I mean, you can buy a 85/f1.4 for 4/3s for less than 300 dollars.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 5:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpin View Post
These samyang/rokinon lenses aren't something a pro would use, but for their price, their quality is outstanding. I mean, you can buy a 85/f1.4 for 4/3s for less than 300 dollars.
Yes, apparently good quality for the money. Ken Rockwell tested the 8mm fish-eye for the Nikon, and was impressed, especially since the Nikon fish eye cost ten times as much money. I can really see this with the 4/3 adapter on the micro 4/3 Oly E-PL1 with the easy manual focus ability.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 6:26 PM   #5

By the way, let me note that samyang is also sometimes called rokinon (as I said above), bower, or a number of other random names.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 9:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Yes, apparently good quality for the money. Ken Rockwell tested the 8mm fish-eye for the Nikon, and was impressed, especially since the Nikon fish eye cost ten times as much money. I can really see this with the 4/3 adapter on the micro 4/3 Oly E-PL1 with the easy manual focus ability.
One point about these Samyangs......

Rather than getting a 4/3 mount, get a Nikon mount instead!!!!

That way, you can mount them on Nikon, 4/3 and micro 4/3!!!! Maximum flexibility!!
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 6:46 AM   #7

Dnas,

Thats not a bad idea !
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post

That way, you can mount them on Nikon, 4/3 and micro 4/3!!!! Maximum flexibility!!
Depends....I know they're manual focus, but are they completely void of electronic contacts to allow for the use of all the body options? If they have the contacts, I'd rather have the Olympus body compatibility since I have no Nikon cameras. Even if they don't have the contacts there's really no reason for me to want any mount other than 4/3rd's.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 12:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post

?? That is almost like telling a Corvette owner that he needs to buy a
Ford motor for his car. I'll pass. I've owned Ford motors before, not going back. LOL
Old Sep 18, 2010, 5:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Depends....I know they're manual focus, but are they completely void of electronic contacts to allow for the use of all the body options? If they have the contacts, I'd rather have the Olympus body compatibility since I have no Nikon cameras. Even if they don't have the contacts there's really no reason for me to want any mount other than 4/3rd's.

I think that some of their lenses have versions with electronic contacts, but the vast majority do not.