Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 18, 2010, 2:56 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,241
Default Equipment desires/realignment

(If there is an ad, i don't endorse it.)

Message follows this post.
__________________
Greg

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2010, 3:31 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,241
Default

Well, the E-5 intro has me thinking. I looked at what I had and where I wanted to go. Thought about cost, performance, desires.... I guess I'm not normal, so I'll go against the tide again.

I gave the E-PL1 a go. I love the 20mm Panny lens and it kept me in the system. It portable, lightweight, gives high quality results. What's not to like??? I dislike using it. Yep, I said it. I just don't like taking photos with it. Its slower than I like, the blackout after the picture bothers me, the more deliberate focus... I just perfer the DSLR. Simple as that.

I won't say its bad. Its quite good, but the little system is fairly expensive and I just don't want to put any more investment in it. I'm going against the flow and against the direction Olympus is heading. I'm liquidating the Pen system.

Part of the decision is I have a great selection of DSLR glass. I'm going to continue with the 4/3 system, part because of the lenses and part because changing systems would cost a ton.

I'm also rethinking my "normal" range, and because I'm not normal and its one of my least used ranges, I'm going to realign that too. The 11-22 and the 14-54 are going and I'll look for a chance to pick up a Panny 25 f1.4 as the only focal length in that range. I'd miss the Panny 20 f1.7 from the Pen, and that is driving that decision. I think I'll really enjoy the lens if I can find it.

I'll likely be the last one to give up the optical finder, and mirror box, and the phase detect autofocus... I'll be the grumpy old guy using the obsolete camera.
__________________
Greg

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/

Last edited by fldspringer; Sep 18, 2010 at 3:42 PM.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 4:11 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
dlpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post

I'll likely be the last one to give up the optical finder, and mirror box, and the phase detect autofocus... I'll be the grumpy old guy using the obsolete camera.

And I'll be right next to you (with regards to dslrs, not olympus). There were two reasons that I was disappointed with the olympus announcements of the past week:
- The first is the use of an old sensor. I don't care about megapixels, but if you are going to stay behind on that, at least improve on DR and iso a bit.
- The second, and perhaps biggest disappointment is their decision to focus on going mirrorless soon. All the interviews that I read had them saying that the pen system is replacing the e-xxx line, and that the e-x line will eventually go mirrorless once they improve the cdaf and electronic shutter enough.


In fact, I think I owe JohnG (it might have been someone else) an apology as I think that he said many months ago that this was a possibility and I dismissed him. Shows what I know.

As I don't have the same investment as others here do, my next camera will likely be the d7000.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 6:12 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 930
Default

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. As someone who takes similar style pics to yours I imagine from what you say that a Pen would drive me crazy as well. Too bad but in a way not a biggie. The E-500 with tamron lens is so light and compact for close-up and macro work that anything smaller wouldn't save enough space/weight to make it worth while. I love shooting with Oly and if the price comes down I may still buy an E-3 but for now I'm going to add a used Pentax to my collection and see how I like that system. With the Sigma 135-400 (which I don't use anyway) as the only 4/3rds glass switching systems is painless. It's the loss of the 2x crop factor and the SD instead of CF card of the Pentax that I don't like.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 6:46 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

I would not count olympus out completely. If they go mirrorless with their e series. They might put out a really good system. Allot may not like the current level of evils, as they do have af speed limits and refresh rate limits. But I still think if or when they do go mirrorless, that they will have a system that rivals their dslr's in performance.

fldspringers you do have some excellent dslr glass, and they really should get allot of uses. The pens will not be able to keep up with your glass selection in AF department. I know that my epl-1 is limiting in the same way, that is why my canon t1i is my tool for action and anything that need faster AF speeds.
__________________
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 8:51 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
dlpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I would not count olympus out completely. If they go mirrorless with their e series. They might put out a really good system. Allot may not like the current level of evils, as they do have af speed limits and refresh rate limits. But I still think if or when they do go mirrorless, that they will have a system that rivals their dslr's in performance.

fldspringers you do have some excellent dslr glass, and they really should get allot of uses. The pens will not be able to keep up with your glass selection in AF department. I know that my epl-1 is limiting in the same way, that is why my canon t1i is my tool for action and anything that need faster AF speeds.
Oh, I understand they might come around and wow people with a mirrorless system. But given their direction even within the EVIL world (smaller cameras rather than something like the panasonic's or sony a55) I think that even if they release stuff beyond that niche, that that niche is going to be their focus for a long time.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 8:55 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

I can not see oly going only small like the pens, especially since they sign the sponsorship deal with the US Open

They will have a sport shooter model, that their pros demand.
__________________
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 9:40 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Mikefellh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpin View Post
There were two reasons that I was disappointed with the olympus announcements of the past week:
- The first is the use of an old sensor. I don't care about megapixels, but if you are going to stay behind on that, at least improve on DR and iso a bit.
Everyone's blaming Olympus for not putting a new sensor in the E-5, but how can they put a new sensor in the E-5 when Panasonic hasn't developed one yet? That's right, the fault lies with Panasonic as they are the developer/manufacturer of the FourThirds sensors.

Why not use Panasonic's rumoured multi-spec sensor that's 18mp (16mp effective) that can do both orientations (portrait/landscape shooting) without the need to rotate the camera, that's supposed to be going into their GH2? Panasonic hasn't announced it yet, so it doesn't exist (it's all been rumours/leaked info). If Panasonic hasn't announced it, Olympus can't use it!


Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
(If there is an ad, i don't endorse it.)

Message follows this post.
Why do you do that with your posts? It's annoying. Do you think any of us endorse the ads that go along with what we post? We all know the ads comes from Steve's Digicams, and we have to live with them in order to use this site...we don't need to be told!
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:01 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
dlpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
Everyone's blaming Olympus for not putting a new sensor in the E-5, but how can they put a new sensor in the E-5 when Panasonic hasn't developed one yet? That's right, the fault lies with Panasonic as they are the developer/manufacturer of the FourThirds sensors.

Why not use Panasonic's rumoured multi-spec sensor that's 18mp (16mp effective) that can do both orientations (portrait/landscape shooting) without the need to rotate the camera, that's supposed to be going into their GH2? Panasonic hasn't announced it yet, so it doesn't exist (it's all been rumours/leaked info). If Panasonic hasn't announced it, Olympus can't use it!
Why does it matter whose fault it is? Does the fact that the fault might be panasonic's change anything about how the camera actually works? Should that influence a person's decision to buy an e-5 or not? Nevermind that the gh1 sensor is better than the one they used and is already out.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:18 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
Well, the E-5 intro has me thinking. I looked at what I had and where I wanted to go. Thought about cost, performance, desires.... I guess I'm not normal, so I'll go against the tide again.

I gave the E-PL1 a go. I love the 20mm Panny lens and it kept me in the system. It portable, lightweight, gives high quality results. What's not to like??? I dislike using it. Yep, I said it. I just don't like taking photos with it. Its slower than I like, the blackout after the picture bothers me, the more deliberate focus... I just perfer the DSLR. Simple as that.

I won't say its bad. Its quite good, but the little system is fairly expensive and I just don't want to put any more investment in it. I'm going against the flow and against the direction Olympus is heading. I'm liquidating the Pen system.

Part of the decision is I have a great selection of DSLR glass. I'm going to continue with the 4/3 system, part because of the lenses and part because changing systems would cost a ton.

I'm also rethinking my "normal" range, and because I'm not normal and its one of my least used ranges, I'm going to realign that too. The 11-22 and the 14-54 are going and I'll look for a chance to pick up a Panny 25 f1.4 as the only focal length in that range. I'd miss the Panny 20 f1.7 from the Pen, and that is driving that decision. I think I'll really enjoy the lens if I can find it.
Not just blackout when you shoot, but there's also a noticeable delay from the time you press the E-PL1's release in all the way to take the shot until the shot is actually made. Trying to time and capture moving subjects at a precise moment in time is a frustrating experience. My thoughts of investing in some of the micro lenses I have been thinking about has waned and I would imagine by the time the calendar changes from 2010 to 2011 I will have an E5 to go with my E30 and my E620 will be sold.

The subjects I have found I enjoy shooting with the E-PL1 and 20/1.7 Panny are just the type of static, no-chance-of-ever-moving subjects where that setup is perfect. For that reason, and because in certain places where my DSLR is a no-entry item but no one looks twice at the E-PL1, I will continue holding on to mine and use it with what I currently have.

Speaking of which, here one for you, Zig....a painting of Boston Harbor, circa 1850, I shot this morning while at the Amon Carter Museum in Fort Worth..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:37 AM.