Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 19, 2010, 3:30 PM   #1

Default When you work on your car's suspension

you put it up on jack stands. So what do you do when you want to work on the landing gear of a 275 ton C5 Galaxy?

Well,:

This is at the Air Mobility Command Museum at the Dover Air Force Base. The museum has a B-17G:

This is the Hello end of a B-17:

The B-17's ball turret:

And here's what it felt like to be in that turret:

Another USAF air transport plane, a Boeing C-97 Stratofreighter. If it looks like a B-29 (e.g. the Enola Gay) that's because it was a B-29 with a modified lower fuselage.

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2010, 3:47 PM   #2

Great images. The older planes are certainly nice to see in such good condition. As the years go by it is becoming more important that these aircraft are here for the current and future generation(s) to see and appreciate.

At Hamilton, Ontario, nearby to me, an aviation museum has a WW II vintage Lancaster bomber in restored condition that is flown regularly. It is an impressive sight to see and hear as it passes overhead.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 4:40 PM   #3

Impressive shots Ted; I really like the aircraft theme and the shots are top notch. I did not realize that Dover had an air museum.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 4:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Impressive shots Ted; I really like the aircraft theme and the shots are top notch. I did not realize that Dover had an air museum.
Probably because Dover's mission is air transport (including bringing our casualties back home), not something more attention-getting like combat. Kinda sad, in a way...

Ted
Old Sep 19, 2010, 5:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenose View Post
Great images. The older planes are certainly nice to see in such good condition. As the years go by it is becoming more important that these aircraft are here for the current and future generation(s) to see and appreciate.

At Hamilton, Ontario, nearby to me, an aviation museum has a WW II vintage Lancaster bomber in restored condition that is flown regularly. It is an impressive sight to see and hear as it passes overhead.
Regards
Thanks! As Santayana said, "Those that do not study history are doomed to repeat it."
Old Sep 19, 2010, 5:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Impressive shots Ted; I really like the aircraft theme and the shots are top notch.
Well it's the Oly equipment. For the kind of photography I most enjoy, the SHG 7-14 is an incredible (and my most used) lens especially coupled with the E-3. Although an f/4, on a monopod (and holding my breath) it captured that B-17 in a room with almost no light at all. The B-17 photos are deceiving - you almost needed a flashlight to read the plaques. Amazing - I wish you could go there to see the lack of light and appreciate what that rig accomplished.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Sep 19, 2010 at 5:23 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 5:25 PM   #7

That makes the B-17 shot even more impressive!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 5:42 PM   #8

Hi Ted

Those are pretty cool indeed .. the B17 shots esp . Now when I read the subject I was expecting to see a car in a garage jacked up with mechanics working on it !

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 5:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi Ted

Those are pretty cool indeed .. the B17 shots esp . Now when I read the subject I was expecting to see a car in a garage jacked up with mechanics working on it !

Cheers

Harj

Well the way is clear for you to work on that landing gear. Don't worry, it won't fall off of the jack stands...
Old Sep 19, 2010, 7:24 PM   #10

Living in Washington state right up from McChord Air force base I know the sound of having those fly over even when I was younger living in Mountlake Terrace we had planes fly over that were loud... Man I would of hated to be in that position for to long... Thanks for sharing all my brain could think when I saw that one shot was man I sure hope the their bodies were shield from the enemy's view..... I actually had some true deep feeling of actually being one of the men .... and that makes me so sorry for any lost in that way in that life!
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote