Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:03 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Pulled from 43rumors.com

"
UPDATED: Olympus stops the developments of FourThrids lenses! Official Olympus press conference news.

UPDATE: Quesabesde (google english translation) had a small talk with Miguel Garcia (Marketing Managing Director Olympus Europe). He confirmed that “we are not developing more Four Thirds optics” He also said: “It is true that perhaps the E-5 lacks specifications to some expectations, but you just can not give everything“.
The german website Systemkameraforum followed the Olympus press conference at Photokina.
The most important news:
1) Miguel Garcia (Marketing Managing Director Olympus Europe) said the focus is on MicroFourThirds
2) the Olympus E-5 is NOT the last Olympus FourThirds camera
3) There will be a professional MicroFourThirds camera at 2011
4) The low-end MicroFOurThirds cameras will also be updated in 2011
5) Prime lenses will come in 2011
6) There will be new features like “Geotagging”

"
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi Ted

the Truepic V+ is only going to effect the jpeg files, so if your shooting jpeg, then theres going to be an improvement over the files from an EP-X but if its RAW, then there'll be hardly any difference between the EP-X and E5 (so same Dr, High ISo, etc) unless the E5's sensor is a modified or newer version.

Cheers

Harj
Thanks, Harj

This has been an interesting time for me. I just finished a great vacation during which I had time to shoot a lot of photos and use most of the equipment I have. (The old Windoze2000 laptop I had with me didn't allow PP so I have a lot of digital darkroom to do.) It caused me to recall my film days when I had a lot more time to shoot, and to remember that during those decades I only had three successive cameras. There were long periods of time where there wasn't a reason to get a newer one.

When digital cameras came out I tended to upgrade a lot because each version came closer to delivering what film had been delivering. Then the E-5 specs came out, which (if they really hold up to testing) indicates the E-5, by improving the few things I want improved in the E-3, is everything I want in a camera long into the foreseeable future. It looks like it will give me better IQ than I used to get from film at its best, without the hassle of processing film. I don't need more than that - I'm not making wall-sized prints.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:12 AM   #13

Just posted to my facebook account.

Today, Olympus is pleased to announce that it is developing a new flagship compact camera that will be its first digital compact camera with a built-in Zuiko lens. Olympus expects to introduce the camera in the first quarter of 2011.
Click here to learn more: http://bit.ly/cxL4kv
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:14 AM   #14

With the announcement of no further 4/3s lenses, you really have to wonder what goes through the heads of the olympus marketing guys. I mean, has there ever been a camera company with so little control over their message? With Japan reps denying what Euro reps said and so on?

No too long ago we heard that the entire system would go mirrorless in 24 months, then that it wouldnt go mirrorless in 24 months, then that they would scrap their camera division if it didn't make money by 2011, then that the camera division would go on no matter what, then that 4/3s would not be replaced by m4/3s, then that the e-xxx line would be replace by m4/3s but not the e-x line, then that eventually the entire system would merge, and now that 4/3s lenses aren't being developed anymore.

With all these things, its no wonder people are skeptical of investing in the system.

Now, with this announcement, I do wonder if the future is indeed a true merger of the two systems, or if its going to be m4/3s from now on and the 4/3s "merger" is actually just a better adapter. Given their stated plans to go mirrorless eventually, the fact that they never released the firmware to make the 12-60 and 50-200 compatible with cdaf, and that many of their shg lenses haven't been optimized for cdaf yet, one has to wonder what will happen to that line.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi Ted

the Truepic V+ is only going to effect the jpeg files, so if your shooting jpeg, then theres going to be an improvement over the files from an EP-X but if its RAW, then there'll be hardly any difference between the EP-X and E5 (so same Dr, High ISo, etc) unless the E5's sensor is a modified or newer version.

Cheers

Harj
A lower-strength AA filter will benefit both JPEG and RAW shooters, and you know Olympus will not set the processing up for the E5 the same way they did for the E-PL1 or any other Pen any more than the JPEG processing is the same comparing an E3 to the E520 or E510. The Pen's JPEG engine is going to produce a much more consumer-friendly image where the E5 professional body will have a much more conservative tone curve applied.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Pulled from 43rumors.com

"
UPDATED: Olympus stops the developments of FourThrids lenses! Official Olympus press conference news.

UPDATE: Quesabesde (google english translation) had a small talk with Miguel Garcia (Marketing Managing Director Olympus Europe). He confirmed that “we are not developing more Four Thirds optics” He also said: “It is true that perhaps the E-5 lacks specifications to some expectations, but you just can not give everything“.
The german website Systemkameraforum followed the Olympus press conference at Photokina.
The most important news:
1) Miguel Garcia (Marketing Managing Director Olympus Europe) said the focus is on MicroFourThirds
2) the Olympus E-5 is NOT the last Olympus FourThirds camera
3) There will be a professional MicroFourThirds camera at 2011
4) The low-end MicroFOurThirds cameras will also be updated in 2011
5) Prime lenses will come in 2011
6) There will be new features like “Geotagging”

"

By the way, the interview does NOT say that the e-5 won't be the last four thirds camera. What the interview actually says is enigmatic marketing-speak that can be interpreted multiple ways.

My translation:
Interviewer: "Some see the e-5 as a logical evolution and others see it as a disappointment that indicates the end of the system. Which is the right vision?"

Olympus marketing guy: "To answer this question is to understand where the market is heading. Neither is 4/3s at its end leading to m4/3s nor vice versa. The market develops in a very clear way: interchangeable lens cameras without a mirror. Therefore we limit ourselves to following what we think is evident. Our mirrorless are called PEN, and all our cameras will be PENs in the future. When we are able to develop it in all segments we will no longer have SLRs because the E-system will be PEN. But we the majority of the market will do this with us."

Interviewer: "Is the e-5 the last SLR of the company?"

Olympus: "We haven't decided.... [continues in a whole 'nother bunch of marketing-speak]

In other words, there was no commitment to another 4/3s camera, even if mirrorless (though dslrs are clearly on the way out). There was an indication of a merger of the two systems in the future, but no guarantees or mentions of additional cameras with a native 4/3s mount. What he said could very well fit a system that takes 4/3s lenses through an adapter.

Because honestly, who here really thinks that Olympus will develop a camera specifically to use lenses it no longer develops?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:44 PM   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpin View Post
By the way, the interview does NOT say that the e-5 won't be the last four thirds camera. What the interview actually says is enigmatic marketing-speak that can be interpreted multiple ways.

My translation:
Interviewer: "Some see the e-5 as a logical evolution and others see it as a disappointment that indicates the end of the system. Which is the right vision?"

Olympus marketing guy: "To answer this question is to understand where the market is heading. Neither is 4/3s at its end leading to m4/3s nor vice versa. The market develops in a very clear way: interchangeable lens cameras without a mirror. Therefore we limit ourselves to following what we think is evident. Our mirrorless are called PEN, and all our cameras will be PENs in the future. When we are able to develop it in all segments we will no longer have SLRs because the E-system will be PEN. But we the majority of the market will do this with us."

Interviewer: "Is the e-5 the last SLR of the company?"

Olympus: "We haven't decided.... [continues in a whole 'nother bunch of marketing-speak]

In other words, there was no commitment to another 4/3s camera. There was an indication of a merger of the two systems in the future, but no guarantees or mentions of additional cameras with a native 4/3s mount. What he said could very well fit a system that takes 4/3s lenses through an adapter.

Because honestly, who here really thinks that Olympus will develop a camera specifically to use lenses it no longer develops?
Thanks, your translation makes more sense. as you say, why say there will be no more lenses developed for the 4/3 and then say there will be more cameras, that really doesn't make that much sense.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 1:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Thanks, your translation makes more sense. as you say, why say there will be no more lenses developed for the 4/3 and then say there will be more cameras, that really doesn't make that much sense.
Actually, let me correct myself. My translation comes from the Spanish interview, while the claim comes from the German description from the press conference. So there is some ambiguity but that claim may not have been wrong. Interestingly enough, the editor of a UK 4/3s dedicated site was there and claims that in the press conference, at least, the Olympus exec at one point said there would be another 4/3s body but later said that there wouldn't be. So there is a great deal of ambiguity.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 1:56 PM   #19

Sounds like Olympus has been making those darn endoscopes so long they can't keep their head's pulled out long enough to get their story straight....
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg chappell View Post
sounds like olympus has been making those darn endoscopes so long they can't keep their head's pulled out long enough to get their story straight....
lol !
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote