Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 22, 2010, 9:06 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Hey Ted: Wow you own Marantz!
Hi, Steven

I always liked Marantz. Unfortunately though, the Marantz equipment I have isn't a home audio system, it's a set of PMD670 professional digital audio recorders of the type used by most radio stations (the newest version now is a 671). At $900 apiece I didn't have much left to buy Marantz home audio equipment...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 1:05 PM   #42

Understand, i don't have a lot of extra discretionary funds now, and when I do, photo gear is first in line.

FYI: Here is an interesting site that catalogs a lot of the older Marantz equipment.

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mindex.html
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 3:26 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Understand, i don't have a lot of extra discretionary funds now, and when I do, photo gear is first in line.

FYI: Here is an interesting site that catalogs a lot of the older Marantz equipment.

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mindex.html

Aw, man, you're killing me...
Old Sep 22, 2010, 3:44 PM   #44

Steven, this is pretty interesting (although way OT). I have a great Dolby analog surround sound system and wonderful Canton speakers, that all have been packed in moving boxes for some years now. The reason is, after our most recent move my wife bought me a set of amazing Sennheiser wireless surround sound headphones (and I didn't suggest that - what a woman). Playing off of a Sony mini audio system, music sounds just great. So the TV video doesn't have surround but the way things are progressing the "surround soundbars" from Polk and others, coupled with any one of the subwoofers I seem to have accumulated (dunno why), will do just fine without a major installation effort.

Part of this is that over time we both seem to be less and less interested in Hollywood movie releases. Of course, 3D HD may change that. But it's the contect that's boring, not the video effects. I'd rather shoot pictures.

Ted
Old Sep 23, 2010, 8:34 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Steven, this is pretty interesting (although way OT). I have a great Dolby analog surround sound system and wonderful Canton speakers, that all have been packed in moving boxes for some years now. The reason is, after our most recent move my wife bought me a set of amazing Sennheiser wireless surround sound headphones (and I didn't suggest that - what a woman). Playing off of a Sony mini audio system, music sounds just great. So the TV video doesn't have surround but the way things are progressing the "surround soundbars" from Polk and others, coupled with any one of the subwoofers I seem to have accumulated (dunno why), will do just fine without a major installation effort.

Part of this is that over time we both seem to be less and less interested in Hollywood movie releases. Of course, 3D HD may change that. But it's the content that's boring, not the video effects. I'd rather shoot pictures.

Ted
The Sennheiser is a great headphone system. And I definitely agree that the current movies seem less and less interesting. It seems like most of the movies my wife and I watch are old DVDs, and we probably watch the old TV shows on cable channels like TVLand and the Retro Network more than the new shows. ( By the way, B&H has a used marantz PDM670 for only $399.)
Old Sep 23, 2010, 9:06 PM   #46

Hi Ted, Steven,

You guys talking about Marantz and Sennheiser components are discussing my 2nd favorite hobby- listening to music. As in photography, I've been on a continual upgrade path with audiophile components. A few years ago, I treated myself to a pair of Sennheiser HD600 headphones which I used to plug into an Acdom preamp. for listening late at night. I now have it hooked up to an I-pod. It is incredible the difference a Sennheiser can make in the quality of sound coming out of an I-Pod.

As for audio components, I've bought and sold more speakers, amps, preamps, sound processors than I can recall. I did have a pair of Mirage M3's as my main speakers at one point, but yielded to my wife's wishes to replace those monoliths with something a little bit more reasonable in size- (Paradigm Studio 40s).

By the way, if you're looking for vintage audio equipment at a reasonable price, try Audiogon.com

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 9:28 PM   #47

Zig: "....for listening late at night."

Okay zig, when you you sleep? I see your posts time stamped at 4:30am in the morning, and now you say that you listen late at night? LOL. I'm a night owl, but definitely do not get up as early in the morning as you!

Why don't you guys post some photos of your equipment. That would be interesting.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 7:09 AM   #48

Hi Steven,

Good suggestion.
Here's a photo of my main listening system: Pioneer surround sound controller, with Paradigm Studio 40 speakers, Denon DVD2900 universal disc player.
That's a 42" Panasonic Plasma about 5yrs old but still going strong.
Photo will follow in next post.
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; Sep 24, 2010 at 7:41 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 7:42 AM   #49

Here's the picture.
Attached Images

Old Sep 25, 2010, 1:11 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post
There has to be processing involved even with raw because you are taking an analog signal from the photosites and converting it to a digital signal, also the amplifiers that give us higher iso are analog devices that have to be controlled digitally again requiring processor power. The e-3 has 3 separate processors as apposed to the one processor of the other Olympus DSLR's, I'm sure the E-5 has at least 3 also & are most likely newer generation processors which will give incremental gains all around.(hopefully). If there was truly no processing to the raw file then all raw files from all manufactures would be the same therefore interchangeable.
Charles
Charles, it looks like you hit the nail on the head!!!!

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=60413

Good call.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote