Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 26, 2010, 7:35 AM   #51

Yeah, the E-5 is looking like a good upgrade. Thanks for posting that - I had mostly stopped reading most of the Oly forums, waiting for real tests rather than bitching.

I must say I was pretty annoyed at the price, at which the camera should include a GPS (my Garmin was only $175 and it has a 5" screen). But here's a good point about the price in the US - the US Dollar has tanked relative to the Yen:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=36448285

Of course, that doesn't explain why Oly wants to sell it for over $2300 (USD equivalent) in Britain.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:23 AM   #52

Hi Ted

Pricing has always been a real bug bear her in the UK, but Oly;s UK pricing on the E-5 is just totally wrong. There's simply no way I'll even consider buying an E-5 at the UK price. If it had an all new sensor, HD video etc etc, then just may be 1500GBP/2300USD could be palatable but thats simply not the case. The E-5 is 300 more expensive than the E-3 when launched and I paid 1200.00 for mine. I'll wait 12 months or more and see if the price drops but I doubt it will unless they release an EVF E-7 next year that can do PDAF - not much chance of that happening either.

Now that Oly has officially stated that the E4xx/5xx/6xx series cams are no more where do those users go when they want to upgrade to a better body? Upgrading to the E5 is going to be out of the question for many of them simply due to price, the E3X series I think is no more as well so s that a viable option, and switching to a pen or M43 may be an option but how many will be willing to re-invest in new lenses when they have existing SG glass that can't work well with the pens or will they simply decide to move to a D7000/60D etc? How can we as E-System users recommend the system to new users becuase I know right now I can't?

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Sep 26, 2010 at 11:04 AM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 1:17 PM   #53

I think that the price is explained by the fact that Olympus is aiming this at current oly glass owners. They don't really care about the price of the competition, or trying to attract anyone new (hence no kit at all).

To me the issue is less the relative quality of the e-5 (and they do seem to be squeezing every IQ drop out of what they have there), and more the fact that their goals seem to be to want to go m4/3s with 4/3s only supported through adapters. I know that they said that right now their goal is to have m4/3s for the entry level while keeping the 4/3s for the flagship, but in the long run that doesn't seem feasible to me. Why would they have an entry level that is incompatible with the flagship? So I think its clear that the flagship should also be going m4/3s soon, and after that 4/3s lenses would only be supported via adapter.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 7:05 AM   #54

Default The E-5 isn't great at ISO6400 but

up through ISO3200 it's looking great. Take a look at these images:

http://four-thirds.cn/forum/thread-162639-1-1.html

Note: the images take a long time to load - be patient.

Ted
Old Sep 27, 2010, 2:31 PM   #55

I would not be suprised if we started seeing excellent ISO 6400 images once Adobe and other third-party companies get the E5 into their databases. By then (Nov-Dec?....whenever the next update is), I may even have my own to try out.

Best case scenario for any example we are seeing so far is, RAW files are being processed in some new version of Master or Viewer, which is probably the worst available RAW processor for Olympus files in terms of noise reduction, and I highly doubt there's going to be any revolutionary improvement in their programming...you basically get a chance to mimic the in-camera JPEG engine with Viewer or Master, not do something better.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 27, 2010 at 4:53 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 5:32 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I would not be suprised if we started seeing excellent ISO 6400 images once Adobe and other third-party companies get the E5 into their databases.
Greg, that seems like a stretch to me but I hope you're right - you and I both shoot a lot of indoors available light. So far this really does seem like the best 4/3 camera Oly has ever delivered. I'm hoping for a good end of year bonus from my company - it could happen...

Ted
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:36 PM   #57

Guys

Take a look at these .. all with the E5 varying ISo - 200 to 1600. ISo 1600 looks very clean but strange there were no ISO3200 or higher shots. I;d liked to have seen what some of these look at full res and I'm with Greg on the RAw convertor - once ACR/LR3 and the others get the update I'm sure the output will be even better.

http://www.foto-diestel.de/Galerien/...mal/index.html

Last edited by HarjTT; Sep 27, 2010 at 6:39 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 7:30 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Guys

Take a look at these .. all with the E5 varying ISo - 200 to 1600. ISo 1600 looks very clean but strange there were no ISO3200 or higher shots. I;d liked to have seen what some of these look at full res and I'm with Greg on the RAw convertor - once ACR/LR3 and the others get the update I'm sure the output will be even better.

http://www.foto-diestel.de/Galerien/...mal/index.html
I've not seen much of the ISO6400 shots, but what I have seen, the color is far different than the other settings. That alone may be enough for me to steer away from that setting. I'll be happy to be able to use ISO3200 in a pinch.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:11 PM   #59

I have not shot anything yet where a good ISO 3200 option would not be good enough with the faster f2.8-3.5 or f4 zooms. E30 ISO 3200 files work extremely well in ACR/Photoshop CS5. Make them even easier in the E5 with a useable ISO 6400 and I wouldn't know what to do.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 27, 2010 at 10:02 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote