Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 20, 2010, 5:38 AM   #1

Default The state of four thirds & the E-5 DSLR

When you have a chance, grab yourself a cup of coffee and read this assessment of where the fourthirds system stands today and thoughts on the E-5 DSLR written by John Foster of Biofos.com

http://www.biofos.com/esystem/e5_ann.html

I have always enjoyed reading John Foster's articles as they are well reasoned while being honest and unbiased.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2010, 6:45 AM   #2

Thanks for that Zig!!!

The comments about C-AF are the first that I've heard from a source I consider reliable. Its the number one thing I was wanting addressed, and now I have hopes.

I have yet to commit to the E-5, but if it is as described here, I'm sorely tempted. I'm so happy with most of what the E-3 has to offer. If the focus tracking was addressed and nothing else, it would be a worthy upgrade in my use.

Thanks for stoking the fire Zig. Hide my credit card!!!!

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 7:08 AM   #3

Better AF is good. For me, though, higher ISO is very important. Looks like we'll get both (pending real world experience with it). Looking good so far - read this conversation:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsnowdo...7624962675834/

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 7:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
Thanks for that Zig!!!

The comments about C-AF are the first that I've heard from a source I consider reliable. Its the number one thing I was wanting addressed, and now I have hopes.
Hi Greg,

Hi Greg,

Once I got passed all the hot buttons that everyone's mentioned that the E-5 had to have, in order to remain competitive, I started to think of the improvements I wanted to see in the next Oly dslr. The two areas where I have always thought my E-30 was a bit lagging was High ISO performance and AF lock performance.

After reading John's article, the ISO performance has been addressed with the newer E-PL1 sensor, Tru-Pic 5 processor and a weaker aliasing filter.
The proof will obviously be in the samples which we have yet to see.

His comments on the C-AF, if true, might be the solution to attaining better AF performance.

When you come right down to it, the E-3 and the E-30 are fine cameras and didn't need a total revamp but rather incremental improvements in these 2 areas.

I, for one, think they have achieved that. (I hope)

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 8:37 AM   #5

Thanks Zig, interesting article, Hope you don't mind but I had a doughnut with my cup of coffee.
I have been mostly quiet about the E-5 release because the flow seems to be, an out-lashing at Olympus, but in reality I just don't agree. If the high iso performance & improved autofocus is as good as advertised I will have an e-5 as soon as possible. I am shooting more & more commissioned work as of late, & the 2 things that are bogging me down with the e-3 are high iso banding & missed focus shots in low light events. Any camera that reduces the post time I have to spend, is more than worth the upgrade to me at this point. Most of my clients never request anything larger than an 8x10 so the need for huge megapixel sensors is just resource waste for me. the e-3 body is a good solid design & the ergonomic shift to the e-5 will be minimal compared to a totally redesigned camera which I am also happy for. I think that a lot have underestimated how much of an advancement the e-5 is going to be over the e-3 & there will be some shock & awe to reviewers & consumers in the image quality area when the e-5 hits the streets. I am continually impressed with the image quality I am getting with the EPL-1 & if Olympus has further improved this with the new processor, I for one will be more than satisfied with the e-5 for doing commissioned work, which is suppose to be the ultimate object in a camera of this class IMHO.
Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Greg,

Hi Greg,

Once I got passed all the hot buttons that everyone's mentioned that the E-5 had to have, in order to remain competitive, I started to think of the improvements I wanted to see in the next Oly dslr. The two areas where I have always thought my E-30 was a bit lagging was High ISO performance and AF lock performance.

After reading John's article, the ISO performance has been addressed with the newer E-PL1 sensor, Tru-Pic 5 processor and a weaker aliasing filter.
The proof will obviously be in the samples which we have yet to see.

His comments on the C-AF, if true, might be the solution to attaining better AF performance.

When you come right down to it, the E-3 and the E-30 are fine cameras and didn't need a total revamp but rather incremental improvements in these 2 areas.

I, for one, think they have achieved that. (I hope)

Zig
I feel the same way. Question: does the Tru-Pic processor affect RAW files? I had always assumed it was only used to create the jpegs, in which case I don't see how it affects the high-ISO performance. What am I missing here?

Ted
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
I feel the same way. Question: does the Tru-Pic processor affect RAW files? I had always assumed it was only used to create the jpegs, in which case I don't see how it affects the high-ISO performance. What am I missing here?

Ted
hi Ted,

Good question, I don't know the answer to that. But, I do think that most people tend to shoot in jpeg which will be affected by the processor. Add to that the weaker aliasing filter, and you have more detail to work with, even if you have to work with a noise reduction software plug-in to deal with the noise there should be a lot more detail in the end result.

Here's another point of view:

http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?op...tpage&Itemid=1

You may have already read this. But, I think, it reinforces my views on the E-5

Zig

Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post
Thanks Zig, interesting article, Hope you don't mind but I had a doughnut with my cup of coffee.
I have been mostly quiet about the E-5 release because the flow seems to be, an out-lashing at Olympus, but in reality I just don't agree. If the high iso performance & improved autofocus is as good as advertised I will have an e-5 as soon as possible. I am shooting more & more commissioned work as of late, & the 2 things that are bogging me down with the e-3 are high iso banding & missed focus shots in low light events. Any camera that reduces the post time I have to spend, is more than worth the upgrade to me at this point. Most of my clients never request anything larger than an 8x10 so the need for huge megapixel sensors is just resource waste for me. the e-3 body is a good solid design & the ergonomic shift to the e-5 will be minimal compared to a totally redesigned camera which I am also happy for. I think that a lot have underestimated how much of an advancement the e-5 is going to be over the e-3 & there will be some shock & awe to reviewers & consumers in the image quality area when the e-5 hits the streets. I am continually impressed with the image quality I am getting with the EPL-1 & if Olympus has further improved this with the new processor, I for one will be more than satisfied with the e-5 for doing commissioned work, which is suppose to be the ultimate object in a camera of this class IMHO.
Charles

Hi Charles,

Well said. By someone who earns a living with his equipment.

Zig

Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:18 AM   #9

Hi Ted

the Truepic V+ is only going to effect the jpeg files, so if your shooting jpeg, then theres going to be an improvement over the files from an EP-X but if its RAW, then there'll be hardly any difference between the EP-X and E5 (so same Dr, High ISo, etc) unless the E5's sensor is a modified or newer version.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
hi Ted,

Good question, I don't know the answer to that. But, I do think that most people tend to shoot in jpeg which will be affected by the processor. Add to that the weaker aliasing filter, and you have more detail to work with, even if you have to work with a noise reduction software plug-in to deal with the noise there should be a lot more detail in the end result.

Here's another point of view:

http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?op...tpage&Itemid=1

You may have already read this. But, I think, it reinforces my views on the E-5

Zig
Norton does have a point - I probably wouldn't shoot RAW if the jpegs were just as good as a RAW after PP.

Ted