Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 26, 2010, 12:28 PM   #1

Default DangIT! ...I made a photo of a bird and forgot

....finally I made a photo of a big bird (NOT the real Big Bird) and forgot about it until I saw Greg C's wandering about shot this morning.

This fellow was approx 40ft high in the tree and maybe 125 ft away on the shoreline of Lake Taneycomo @ Branson, Mo USA. I saw him flying down the lake past the dock and settle in the tree so i got all excited about maybe a decent 'bird' picture, it turned out ok I recon.

Oly E-300 w/70-300ZD at 300mm -- early sunrise light

Last edited by boBBrennan; Sep 26, 2010 at 8:12 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2010, 1:41 PM   #2

Okay indeed! Better that any of the heron shots I have managed. For such a large bird that is fairly common around here (but declining in population due to Bald Eagles) I find it really hard to get one where I can snap a good shot. Considering the distance i think you did great.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 2:23 PM   #3

Bob: that is a good shot. I collect heron shots, and that would definitely be a keeper. I know for a fact that GBH usually do not seem to cooperate very well, and can be difficult models.

Steve
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 2:42 PM   #4

Very nice!
Old Sep 26, 2010, 2:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Bob: that is a good shot. I collect heron shots, and that would definitely be a keeper. I know for a fact that GBH usually do not seem to cooperate very well, and can be difficult models.

Steve
It is a good shot. Years ago there was a great place to photograph herons on the Potomac River, near a small boat launch ramp. Then everyone got the personal water mosquitoes, er, watercraft, and the herons decided to hang out someplace more quiet (and the fishermen had to also). After that I thought about making a booth, five shots for $2.00 (using a .22 to keep the costs down). And I wasn't thinking about the herons...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 8:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
....finally I made a photo of a big bird (NOT the real Big Bird) and forgot about it until I saw Greg C's wondering about shot this morning.

This fellow was approx 40ft high in the tree and maybe 125 ft away on the shoreline of Lake Taneycomo @ Branson, Mo USA. I saw him flying down the lake past the dock and settle in the tree so i got all excited about maybe a decent 'bird' picture, it turned out ok I recon.

Oly E-300 w/70-300ZD at 300mm -- early sunrise light
I recon !!!

Pretty composition Bob.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:44 PM   #7

and with a no-stabilization E300/70-300 outfit no less! That is quite nice, Bob.

I logged in last night to PBase and was looking at Laura Pipkin's oustanding birding images. Her site was looking "different" when it hit me she has stripped all the EXIF data from her files, which is a shame. You can pretty much tell from the focal lengths what she's using, but only because I know she's been using Olympus cameras. Whatever caused her to think she needed to do that, it's too bad. I've always liked checking the exposure data on her images to see what she does to get such amazing shots with her E3..

http://www.pbase.com/pipkin/root

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 27, 2010 at 2:22 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 12:57 PM   #8

....thanks for the comments, I did use my E-300 for our vacation week because it is easier to carry than the E-3 for days like we had.

I also had along the C7070WZ which is a great camera for vacation snapshots, now I am getting interested in the E-PL1. Has anyone with a E-PL1 used it with the 14-54 ZD.

It is too bad the data are not being shown for the Pipkin galleries now, I too liked reviewing the stats for certain photos there, maybe it is a display setting that will be reset soon, I hope so.

Thanks agn, boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 5:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
...I also had along the C7070WZ which is a great camera for vacation snapshots
Bob, thanks for that suggestion. There have been times when I've wanted to get a P&S as a spare grab-and-go but I've been pretty disgusted with the current crop, all of which lack an OVF. The C7070WZ is still available on Amazon and E-bay, which is a good thing that I will keep in mind.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Bob, thanks for that suggestion. There have been times when I've wanted to get a P&S as a spare grab-and-go but I've been pretty disgusted with the current crop, all of which lack an OVF. The C7070WZ is still available on Amazon and E-bay, which is a good thing that I will keep in mind.

Ted
Yes, that is a good P&S, but I really liked my C8080 which I still use from time to time. It had a truly great Oly lens and is built like a tank, and uses the CF cards.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote