Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 26, 2010, 4:08 PM   #1

Default The future isn't quite here yet

I'm referring to the "Eye-Fi" wireless SDHC cards. Maybe y'all already know about them, but I didn't until I got a flyer from J&R.

It's an SD card with built-in WiFi that relieves you of the terrible burden of removing the card from your camera and plugging it into a card reader to transfer your photos. After being configured properly it can automatically download the files stored on it, to your computer or your web site (like Flickr).

I was intrigued by this, just in terms of where technology is going, so I did some checking on it. User reviews have noted a few problems:

1. It's extremely slow for large files (wireless - Duh!). An unmentioned corollary of that is that although you don't have to remove the SD card from the camera, you'll be removing and recharging the battery a lot more often.
2. They have some likelihood of locking up during use; the vendor's solution is to reformat the card. Guess what happens to the images you've already stored on the card.

All that said, I do believe this technology will become commonplace in the future.

What I'd find a lot more interesting is an SD card that's actually a GPS receiver than can add your location to the EXIF files. I don't particularly need that right now but I can see where folks who are traveling would find it very useful. Plus it would be darned cool.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2010, 4:36 PM   #2

The problem as well is it doesn't transmit while you are shooting...you have to put the camera down and do nothing with it while the images are being transferred.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 4:53 PM   #3

Mike, they'll probably work all this out. But it still seems to me to be a solution looking for a problem.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 5:09 PM   #4

Gee, where have I heard that before?

Well, it's been a few years now and it's still not solved.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 7:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
Gee, where have I heard that before?

Well, it's been a few years now and it's still not solved.
Yeh well, I remember saying something like that when they told me that my Kodachrome would be replaced by something called digital.

And I thought that was a heart medicine...
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote