Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Yeh! I came over here in the late 60's and lost a lot of friends from So Cal. Nam was the pits. Nobody learnt anything, we're still losing young men in GW Bush's and Dick Cheney's private war in Iraq.
Ken, for 2 days after those two announced the war would start, a lot of senior officers said it was idiotic. Then Rumsfeld obviously told them to shut up, although he couldn't silence the ones who had recently retired. No senior military officers said it was a good idea, that I know of and I was following the press pretty closely.

Why were the senior officers opposed? Well, where did they get their start as junior officers? In 'Nam, of course, and they could recognize another war with no exit strategy when they saw one. So a lot of people really did learn from 'Nam and some of them retired rather than follow orders they knew were a bad idea. It was the senior civilians who didn't learn. Big surprise, they never were on the battlefield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Nice pics, don't be talking that E500 down now..
Thanks. I like the E-500 but I prefer IBIS, is all.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:31 AM   #12

The last line wasn't in reference to where he buried his son. It was in them taking the estate in the first place!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The last line wasn't in reference to where he buried his son. It was in them taking the estate in the first place!
Greg, I knew what you meant. But I don't want to get into a discussion about the merits of each side in the Civil War. I was just shooting a small piece of history. Tha larger picture is for a different forum than this one.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Sep 29, 2010 at 5:54 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:26 PM   #14

It is a beautiful spot. Now that I've been to California, I need to get to the east coast and go through the Virginia/Maryland area and see some areas I have read about for a long time.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:33 PM   #15

The amount to see here is almost overwhelming. But try to avoid the summer - the heat and humidity are too much like a Texas summer for you to consider it a vacation, I suspect.

Edit: If you do nothing else out here, get to the Lincoln Memorial at sunset. Sit looking out the Mall and watch the city as the sky turns indigo and the monuments' and buildings' lights come on. Watch people as they come into Lincoln's building loud, talking, and laughing, and leave very quiet and pensive. You really can't capture this with a camera - it's way more psychological than visual.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Sep 29, 2010 at 6:44 PM.