Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 1, 2010, 5:17 PM   #11

Harj is right, I don't think any site beats Smugmug for the cost/benefit.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:34 PM   #12

......yep, SmugMug is the best IMO and Harj, SM has added more features as of the last system update. SM just keeps getting better.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:55 PM   #13

The new site from olympus is in beta so that may explain the limited availability. also it does not have random public access the way flickr does so is most likely more secure, I have uploaded a few pics to try it out & seems to display more correctly the colors, & contrast from my files than flickr does, but not as good as my photium based website. It also diplays exif data in a convenient way that I like. It is not going to be perfect at first, flickr, smugmug, shutterfly etc.,etc....., had the same growing pains this site is likely to encounter. Olympus is trying to get into the social networking arena (Late & untimely as it may be), something that "MANY" have asked for including myself, so IMHO they should be provided constructive feedback instead of just bashing every move they make which will likely result in them just dropping any research into these areas.
Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:14 PM   #14

Also, for those who do not know Olympus has a facebook site called "Get Olympus", I was reluctant to get involved with facebook in any way.(personaly seeing it mostly as a teeny-bopper thing). but due to unforeseeable circumstance got involed with it in august & am amazed & unprepared for the additional portrait business it has already created. But back to Olympus on facebook, they have direct live communication events monday through friday every week. they try to answer everyones questions or comments, & are for the most part, making a "serious attempt" to communicate with us customers. Their customer service is also very receptive to e-mail comments & suggestion usually providing prompt replies.
Charles

Last edited by cshanaberger; Oct 1, 2010 at 11:47 PM.
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 7:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post
Also, for those who do not know Olympus has a facebook site called "Get Olympus", I was reluctant to get involved with facebook in any way.(personaly seeing it mostly as a teeny-bopper thing). but due to unforeseeable circumstance got involed with it in august & am amazed & unprepared for the additional portrait business it has already created. But back to Olympus on facebook, they have direct live communication events monday through friday every week. they try to answer everyones questions or comments, & are for the most part, making a "serious attempt" to communicate with us customers. Their customer service is also very receptive to e-mail comments & suggestion usually providing prompt replies.
Charles
I didn't know that - good for Olympus. I've also avoided Facebook - for me the issue was just that I didn't want another thing to have to use a computer for - I don't get out enough as it is. It is cool that Facebook has gotten you photography work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post
Olympus is trying to get into the social networking arena (Late & untimely as it may be), something that "MANY" have asked for including myself, so IMHO they should be provided constructive feedback instead of just bashing every move they make which will likely result in them just dropping any research into these areas.
Charles
I think Olympus is correct that mirrorless cameras are the future. Those of us that have a lot invested in 4/3 glass aren't happy with the uncertain outcome of that - will our expensive lenses stiill autofocus on Oly's EVIL cameras? If not, we're hosed - we can't use them on cameras with larger sensors.

And anyone who shoots action isn't impressed with EFV for that purpose. Pro level video cameras have used EVFs for years and their EVFs don't work well for fast panning. That's OK for video where you don't want fast panning anyway because it makes the audience dizzy if not nauseated so you have to edit that out of the Final Cut (pun intended). But it doesn't give sports/action photographers like Greg C a nice warm fuzzy about the future.

Soooo, Charles, you're right. A lot of us, including me, are shooting the messenger. We wish we had an alternative.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:58 AM   #16

Some of the comments in this thread haven't been helpful...in fact they've been borderline trolling! To discuss another service (Smugmug) when we're having issues with a particular service, it's like if someone came onto the forum suggesting getting a Canikon because we're having an issue with our Olympus camera.

The thread is about Olympus' new photosharing service, ibonthenet...I couldn't care less about any other one for this discussion.

BTW, I just noticed today the site has a new dropdown menu in the upper right corner to select "Region" and it lists just two countries, USA and Japan...so I guess Canada is definitely out for the beta trial.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
Some of the comments in this thread haven't been helpful...in fact they've been borderline trolling! To discuss another service (Smugmug) when we're having issues with a particular service, it's like if someone came onto the forum suggesting getting a Canikon because we're having an issue with our Olympus camera.

The thread is about Olympus' new photosharing service, ibonthenet...I couldn't care less about any other one for this discussion.

BTW, I just noticed today the site has a new dropdown menu in the upper right corner to select "Region" and it lists just two countries, USA and Japan...so I guess Canada is definitely out for the beta trial.

Hi Mike,

I've just finished reading your comment and couldn't disagree more. To me, the whole point of this forum is to discuss ALL things having to do with photography. When a new product/service/software is released, we naturally compare it to it's competition. That's how we decide wether to buy it or not.

In this case, Olympus chose to release a photosharing service. It is expected that it be compared to what is already available. If not Smug Mug, then, PBase or some other site.

The people who frequent this site, wether they are active participants or silent forum visitors are in search of information. Some of the threads are relevant to what they are looking for and some are not. At the end of the day though, they keep coming back because we don't limit the discussion or try to stymie other points of view.

If Ibeonthenet is a good product it will stand on it's own merits. Just like any other Olympus camera, lens, or accessory that we've discussed.

sincerely,
Zig Guzikowski

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:48 PM   #18

Well said, zig. I agree.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 2:23 AM   #19

I stand by my comments...this thread is ONLY about "ibonthenet", not what the best photosharing site is, or alternatives to "ibonthenet".

If that wasn't the case I'd suggest the site I use, but that's not the topic of the thread!
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 3:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
I stand by my comments...this thread is ONLY about "ibonthenet", not what the best photosharing site is, or alternatives to "ibonthenet".

If that wasn't the case I'd suggest the site I use, but that's not the topic of the thread!
First of all, if you think a post is out of place anywhere, just report it to the moderators. The ones here are very active and do a good job. Don't try to dictate the terms of the discussion on your own. Reporting it is much better because then we don't have to end up discussing your opinions on what is a valid thread and what is not. And then when the moderators make their decision, you live with it. I doubt they will see anything wrong here, but if you feel strongly about it reporting is certainly much better than making your views on what is appropriate the center of discussion.

Second, the ONLY way to determine whether any product or service is any good is by comparing it to the competition. When we discuss whether a certain olympus product is good, we are already implicitly comparing it to the competition. It is only natural that people will compare a new service provided by olympus to existing services.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote