Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 3, 2010, 12:01 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Mikefellh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,707
Default

Except the people who are suggesting that "x" is better haven't tried (or been able to try) "ibonthenet"...the fact they haven't tried the service being discussed makes it a fanboy/troll posting.

It doesn't go as far as making it worth bringing to a moderator's attention, but valid to make an open comment.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 6:28 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
Some of the comments in this thread haven't been helpful...in fact they've been borderline trolling! To discuss another service (Smugmug) when we're having issues with a particular service, it's like if someone came onto the forum suggesting getting a Canikon because we're having an issue with our Olympus camera.

The thread is about Olympus' new photosharing service, ibonthenet...I couldn't care less about any other one for this discussion.

BTW, I just noticed today the site has a new dropdown menu in the upper right corner to select "Region" and it lists just two countries, USA and Japan...so I guess Canada is definitely out for the beta trial.
If there is a new product or service and there are few willing to leave a trusted prior service, that certainly is relavent to the discussion.

Throwing a word like "trolling" around is something I can do without. Its my opinion.

For what its worth, if my photos mean anything to me, I'm going to be VERY careful about where I store them. I dumpped Flicker a long time ago because of the way they operate. The fact I never even would think of this new service because I'm content with Smugmug is a sliver of information that I'll add to the discussion.
__________________
Greg

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 6:46 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,931
Default

I use my own webhost for my gallery and backups. But, I also am open to other suggestions. I may or may not use it but that's my choice. It's good to know the choices out there. There may be some that are new to the game and may not know about ANY of these services.
__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:03 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
dlpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
Except the people who are suggesting that "x" is better haven't tried (or been able to try) "ibonthenet"...the fact they haven't tried the service being discussed makes it a fanboy/troll posting.

It doesn't go as far as making it worth bringing to a moderator's attention, but valid to make an open comment.

You don't need to "try" a service to comment on a 2gb limit, or on a $2.5 fee per gb after that, so I really don't see your point here.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:11 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Harj is right, I don't think any site beats Smugmug for the cost/benefit.
Especially the bigger your site gets. I recently went past 100GB in uploaded images on my Smugmug page....it is my external, backup file site, and I pay the same $99.95 per year (pro-level account, same price since I joined in 2005) for unlimited space and the ability to sell through their site. At $2.25 per GB, I'd be paying $225 annually for Olympus' site!

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Oct 4, 2010 at 11:21 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:35 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
HarjTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Especially the bigger your site gets. I recently went past 100GB in uploaded images on my Smugmug page....it is my external, backup file site, ....
Greg,

i thought my 20Gb was a bit high but I'm you, in that its now my external backup site as well and they haven;t said a single thing about using too much space. I'd like to see the T&C's on the new Oly site and its a shame its Japan and US only .. and as always good to luck to Oly's new idea.

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 6:02 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post
Hi, all just received an e-mail detailing a new photo storage & sharing service by Olympus. It can be found at www.ibonthenet.com & if you sign up before tomorrow you get 2 gb free storage space. Didn't have time to check it out to thoroughly but figured I'd post this so those who are interested could get the free 2gb space before tomorrow.
Charles
Hi Charles,

I did also finally get an e-mail from Olympus (today) announcing the new Photo Sharing site; IBeonthenet. At first glance, it looks pretty reasonable for the average mom or dad taking pics of the kids, parties, etc.

For my needs, I'll stick with Smugmug,com as I've already gone through the process of switching photo hosting sites when PBase suffered a significant shutdown of their site. That was when I went over to Smugmug.com. The process of downloading all my image files from PBase to Smugmug was not an exercise I would like to repeat.

Thanks for the heads up though.
__________________
http://scortoncreekgallery.smugmug.com/

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:48 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,901
Default

I read the fine print on my email: says valid in U.S. only, until Oct 10, 2010, and they are throwing in a free 20 page 8x6 photo book.

** Offer valid in the US only. Offer valid for one time use per member per household. Only valid for the 20 page 8"x6" photo book. Applicable tax and shipping fees will apply. May not be used in conjunction with any other offer. We reserve the right to modify or discontinue promotions at any time. Expires 10/10/2010 at 11:59 p.m. (EST).
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:48 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: south west pennsylvania
Posts: 415
Default

Hi Zig, wow didn't expect my starting of this thread to cause such a ruckus, When I started the post, I stated that I hadn't thoroughly examined it, & I know most of the regulars here have their own preference for photo hosting sites & I was in no way trying to say that Olympus' new site was any competition for those sites.
I read this Forum regularly for years learning as much as I could, before contributing anything to the pool, & I know based on the number of thread views vs. # of replies there still is many more readers than contributors. That being said none of us know where they are with their equipment, software or photography experience. We also do not know their financial situation, which means they may not be able to afford to buy premium services of other sites. IMHO by Olympus at least making an attempt to offer after purchase services to consumers is a good relationship starter for the new photographer or those switching from other systems. And I have to state that we live in an era where companies constantly release products that are not truly ready for the market, but that simply is just the ethics of businesses today.
Again IMHO, contrary to what seems to be popular of criticizing Olympus' current marketing & product moves this year, I think they have been being very smart, & are putting into place the pieces necessary to start taking a larger chunk of the market away from canon & nikon. The "truth" that many don't like to hear is there simply hasn't been any significant technology increases in digital imaging (save maybe the "birth" not the perfection of mirror-less) by any manufacturer in the last couple of years, & mostly what has been released of late are simply marketing gimmicks & not technology increases. I think it was Harj that posted the link about the panasonic engineers stating this exact fact & thats the company they work for.
One of the things Olympus has to get in place is social marketing because it simply has ever-growing & overwhelming power on a global frontier. This will be a "learning process" for them as they have gotten a late start, but from a business standpoint in today's marketplace it is something that simply has to be done.
well this turned out to be pretty long so I'll end here.
Charles

Last edited by cshanaberger; Oct 5, 2010 at 11:01 PM.
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:23 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Charles, as I stated previously I for one am glad you started this thread and also informed us about Oly's social marketing, of which I was unaware. I do think Oly's site is worth looking at for anyone on a budget who just wants to share some images (as opposed to wanting remote storage of all their images).

I also think it's worth dicussing that real technology improvements in digital imaging seem to have slowed down dramatically.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:03 AM.