Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:37 PM   #11

Yes guys, we have it really bad down here. But it seems to me that just last winter Ted was complaining about being barricaded in his house with this:
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:54 PM   #12

and what in that image would chew your butt?
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
and what in that image would chew your butt?
Frostbite, hypothermia, frozen fingers and toes, frozen eyeballs, and the list goes on. Not to mention cabin fever. LOL . Oh, and the hernia from trying to shovel all that snow and ice!!!
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Frostbite, hypothermia, frozen fingers and toes, frozen eyeballs, and the list goes on. Not to mention cabin fever. LOL . Oh, and the hernia from trying to shovel all that snow and ice!!!
Got a snowblower, fireplace, pea coat and watch cap... all for the wife. heheheh She's a sport and doesn't complain too much. I'm going to play this heart thing for all I can.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:10 PM   #15

Gary ---- "I plan to live forever. So far, so good."

Good words to live by Gary, keep on working at it. So happy you can.

As for the weather, got a brilliant day sailing yesterday 12 miles under spinaker and my face is sunburnt again. When the weather gets cooler here, I'm gone. We're driving to Cabo San Lucas in November and back about the same time as the snow geese. Best of both worlds.

Ken

My sparrows say they're waiting under the palm trees.
Attached Images

Last edited by Scouse; Oct 1, 2010 at 11:33 PM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 7:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Anyone can live in a warm climate. It takes real men to live in a climate where you design cargo ships to look like submarines, to survive winter seas.
Attached Images

Old Oct 2, 2010, 2:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Got a snowblower, fireplace, pea coat and watch cap... all for the wife. heheheh She's a sport and doesn't complain too much. I'm going to play this heart thing for all I can.
Gary: wouldn't you really rather see your wife in a bikini laying out by the pool, rather than all bundled up in a pea coat with a snow shovel?? Come on, I don't believe that your would prefer that.

Seriously, we all hope for a speedy full recovery for you. Take care of yourself. (and stay warm.)
Old Oct 2, 2010, 2:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
My sparrows say they're waiting under the palm trees.
Love your sparrow shot. Looks like the birds definitely know that it's best to follow the warm sun, and you follow their example. But last time you went you didn't post at all. Take a laptop with your camera so we can see some of your shots while on your winter vacation.

(Since I can't afford to take off from work in the wintertime, I am glad that I can enjoy warm winters, even though I am still working to pay the bills.)
Old Oct 2, 2010, 2:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Anyone can live in a warm climate. It takes real men to live in a climate where you design cargo ships to look like submarines, to survive winter seas.
I admit that as I've gotten old, I am a wimp in cold weather, just can't take it the same as when I was young. Where in the world did you take that photo?? What an unusual boat; there must be a story behind that shot.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 3:05 PM   #20

I downloaded that from the Internet (Wikipedia) a while ago - it's a public domain photo taken in 1891, a bit before I was born.

I was looking into those ships (look up "Whaleback Ships" in Wikipedia) when your post about winter here hit me so I couldn't resist. It has nothing to do with where I live now (the Mid-Atlantic coast) but it's representative of the Great Lakes region where I grew up. In particular those whaleback steamers were used on Lake Superior, perhaps the most treacherous body of water in the world in the winter. (Gordon Lightfoot's song about the Edmund Fitzgerald was about a real event, on Lake Superior in November, 1975.)

I was seeing if you could get better than an F in marine history, my background...

Ted