Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 3, 2010, 12:15 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
LOL! Do you find yourself using all of them, or is it just that it's not worth trying to sell some of them?

Ted
The only one that I would sell is the 30D as everything else will get used - 5DmkII and 5D with 1DmkIII for weddings, 1DmkIII and 7D for sports, the 500D will be used by my wife due to the light weight. The 30D has little value, but probably should be sold when I'm back in the UK.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 12:40 PM   #12

I used to be a collector of Stuff (like Ben Herrmann) but as I got older I realized that all that Stuff just increased the noise level in my life. I use all the cameras and lenses I have (with 2 exceptions) and have sold all the rest on EBay. The 2 exceptions are the E20 camera I mentioned, and the Oly 8mm fisheye, which I'm keeping because I figure at some point, with practice, I'll use it effectively.

It's funny - I now take two kinds of photos. One is for others, mostly for my Temple. The 2nd is just for myself. If I get a photo in the 2nd category that I think others will enjoy I'll post it and if folks like it, that's satisfying. But gaining other folks' approval of my photos isn't very important to me at this point in my life. Actually, gaining other folks' approval of anything seems like a silly game...

[End of ramble]

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 12:51 PM   #13

I have 2, the E-1 and E-500. Will be adding a Pentax K100D to see how I like that system and if I don't then maybe a newer Oly body as well. 3 would be plenty, 4 overkill but it's not like i have a lot of money invested in them and some like the 500 aren't really worth enough to bother with selling.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 1:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
...some like the 500 aren't really worth enough to bother with selling.
John
John, I wish you hadn't said that. It will cause Steven R a great deal of agita - he loves his E500.

Actually the E500's color is terrific, perhaps one of the best in Oly's E-series cameras, and other than the lack of IBIS it would be a classic DSLR. Mine stays in my car (other than during the broiling summers here) as my grab-a-camera when there's an interesting photo op arising.

And that's a real problem with the Oly (and L1) DSLRs - they each have attributes that makes you want to use them. Unfortunately, we don't get all of those great attributes in one DSLR...

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Oct 3, 2010 at 1:17 PM.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 1:51 PM   #15

Quote:
John, I wish you hadn't said that. It will cause Steven R a great deal of agita - he loves his E500.
And that's a real problem with the Oly (and L1) DSLRs - they each have attributes that makes you want to use them. Unfortunately, we don't get all of those great attributes in one DSLR...

Ted

?? I think somebody (Ted) is getting senile, I've never owned an E-500. LOL.

I actually like my E-330 as best over my E-520. A very solid camera, and a lot more rugged than the little lightweight E-520.

Not only is it more rugged, it has a lot of options not available on the E-520. For example, the E-520 has only 5 ISO settings, while the E-330 has 13 ISO choices. I only picked up the E520 body for the IBIS; it's a good camera, but the E-330 seems to be a better camera. Remember, when the E-330 came out, it had a higher retail price then the famous E-1. I think the unconventional look without the pentaprism hump caused the lack of sales, combined with the high price. My next body will either be the E-30 or the E-5 (when the price drops.)

I've had 6 or 7 Oly P&S, of which I still have the C-720 and the C-8080. The C-8080 is a great rugged camera, and the last Oly P&S that could compare favorably with a dslr. (Magnesium body, shoots RAW, and used CF cards.) The current Oly P&S models are a joke compared to the best of the C series like the C-7070 and C-8080.

(I also still have 3 Oly 35mm SLRs and a lot of old lens. (OM2n, OM-77 and OM-PC.)

Last edited by Steven R; Oct 3, 2010 at 2:43 PM.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 2:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
I've never owned an E-500.
You're right - I misremembered that. Ken is the one who uses an E-500.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 2:22 PM   #17

E1, E300, E620, E30 and E-PL1. I've owned others, but sold or gave them away.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 2:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
E1, E300, E620, E30 and E-PL1. I've owned others, but sold or gave them away.
Hi Greg: when you decide to give away your E-30, put me on your Christmas list! LOL
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 2:44 PM   #19

Quote:

Actually the E500's color is terrific, perhaps one of the best in Oly's E-series cameras, and other than the lack of IBIS it would be a classic DSLR. Mine stays in my car (other than during the broiling summers here) as my grab-a-camera when there's an interesting photo op arising.

Ted
Don't get me wrong I still use the 500 quite a bit in part because as you say it has great color but also because I have issues with the focus contacts on my E1. I almost always carry both with me when I'm out shooting.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 3:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Don't get me wrong I still use the 500 quite a bit in part because as you say it has great color but also because I have issues with the focus contacts on my E1. I almost always carry both with me when I'm out shooting.

John
Hi, John

I don't use the E-500 so much, simply because its ergonomics don't work very well for me. I have large hands so when holding that camera my right thumb always seemed to press a button I didn't want pressed. The E-3 was designed for folks with larger hands and it's perfect for me.

There are a lot of folks, on the DPR Oly forum and even to some extent on this one, who are fond of asserting that a specific Oly camera has perfect ergonomics. Not just perfect for them but perfect for everyone, as if the DSLR Universe should revolve around their needs and the size of their hands. Incredible...

Ted