Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 4, 2010, 2:01 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Hi, John

I don't use the E-500 so much, simply because its ergonomics don't work very well for me. I have large hands so when holding that camera my right thumb always seemed to press a button I didn't want pressed. The E-3 was designed for folks with larger hands and it's perfect for me.

There are a lot of folks, on the DPR Oly forum and even to some extent on this one, who are fond of asserting that a specific Oly camera has perfect ergonomics. Not just perfect for them but perfect for everyone, as if the DSLR Universe should revolve around their needs and the size of their hands. Incredible...

Ted
Having long but skinny hands i find the E-500 to be fine to hold. In fact in some ways I like the small size, if I have 3 lbs of glass it's nice to not always have 2 lbs of camera to go with it. I think sometimes it can look a bit silly with the long glass on it just because it's small but that doesn't mean it won't work.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:02 PM   #22

I've had many over the years but currently I only have a Pentax K-x, which a bought a week or so ago and may soon return. All my other cameras are not quite DSLR (m4/3 actually).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I've had many over the years but currently I only have a Pentax K-x, which a bought a week or so ago and may soon return. All my other cameras are not quite DSLR (m4/3 actually).
In the spirit of this thread I think ILCs count. I'm curious as to why you don't like the K-x. It's often refered to as an alternative for splashproof camera.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:42 AM   #24

I have an E620 (my first DSLR!) and am currently investigating the purchase of an E30 while the Aussie dollar is trading well.. in which case I will sell the E620.
Facebook

Olympus E30 | Zuiko 50-200mm SWD | EC-14 | EC-20| EX-25 | FL-50R
piXelatedEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:45 AM   #25

Default Ben has a sense of humor

When I first posted this thread I had only intended to be asking a rhetorical question - I thought owning 81 cameras was pretty funny. It turns out that Benn Herrmann does have a sense of humor about his addiction to collecting. Here's a recent part of that thread:

JFinite (Justin Bonaparte, an excellent photographer): "81 cameras?"
Ben Herrmann: "Yup - that's right - this is what happens when you don't get laid..."

Ted
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Having long but skinny hands i find the E-500 to be fine to hold.
Well there you go - once size does not fit all.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 12:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
In the spirit of this thread I think ILCs count. I'm curious as to why you don't like the K-x. It's often refered to as an alternative for splashproof camera.

Ted
Before I decided to buy the Kx, I was aware of the lack of focus point indicator. I read many posts/reviews on the net discussing this issue. Some people thought it was a real problem while others thought it was not a big deal. Since I already have a few PK lenses (and had Pentax cameras in the past) and found a Kx w/ kit lens for $436 on Amazon, I decided to buy one and give it a try. After all, the reviews were for the most part, very positive and I liked the fact that the Kx was a good low light performer. However, I really really dislike the lack of focus point indicator. Even though I have set the camera to center spot focus, when shooting dark objects or objects in low light, I can't see the very thin lines on the viewfinder and determine exactly where the very center is. This becomes critical when the object is very small because you want to make sure the center of the LCD is pointing precisely at the object but I don't have that precision. So, instead of forcing myself to like the camera, I rather send it back and go for something else (perhaps the Kr in another year).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 12:47 PM   #28

Thanks, Tulio