Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:48 AM   #1

Default FT lenses and video .. Olympus will be missing a trick..

Hi Guys and Gals

With Oly's recent vague commitment to the future of regular FT at photokina, it's been really interesting to see the serious buzz being created by Pana's pro AG100 m43 video camera with the Pro/Amateur/Indi video shooters and lens choices that those guys are thinking of making:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...=222760&page=3

A lot of those guys/gals are looking at the SHG lenses with a number of them already deciding on the 14-35 and 35-100F2's and if the AG100 does fly off the shelves like it looks it will, then Oly really needs to pull its finger out and make the SHG lenses, the glass of choice to use with the AG100. Carl Zeiss have already made a firm commitment that they're F2 PL primes will be made available for the AG100 and if you thought the SHG galss was expensive then be shocked by the CZ PL prime prices! This is where Oly should be leveraging the strengths of the SHG and their expertise in lens design. Heck even Pana's been displaying AG100 with the 14-35 attached since it was first announced! They could well sell more SHG glass this way then they have had since the the E-System was launched and may be (wishful thinking) keep the FT lens system going!

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Oct 3, 2010 at 11:24 AM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2010, 2:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Carl Zeiss have already made a firm commitment that they're F2 PL primes will be made available for the AG100 and if you thought the SHG glass was expensive then be shocked by the CZ PL prime prices!
Harj
CZ primes are indeed really expensive. Regardless, I don't think they will sell well for the AG100, just because they are primes. I work with a lot of pro videographers and every one of them uses a zoom lens. If you had to lug around, and keep setting up all that equipment you wouldn't use a prime either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post

With Oly's recent vague commitment to the future of regular FT at photokina, it's been really interesting to see the serious buzz being created by Pana's pro AG100 m43 video camera with the Pro/Amateur/Indi video shooters and lens choices that those guys are thinking of making:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...=222760&page=3

A lot of those guys/gals are looking at the SHG lenses with a number of them already deciding on the 14-35 and 35-100F2's and if the AG100 does fly off the shelves like it looks it will, then Oly really needs to pull its finger out and make the SHG lenses, the glass of choice to use with the AG100. ...This is where Oly should be leveraging the strengths of the SHG and their expertise in lens design. Heck even Pana's been displaying AG100 with the 14-35 attached since it was first announced! They could well sell more SHG glass this way then they have had since the the E-System was launched and may be (wishful thinking) keep the FT lens system going!

Cheers

Harj
Harj, you've been posting the progress of that AG100 video camera and personally I appreciate you doing that. I think you're right that that cam may well result in Oly selling a lot of SHG glass, which is a good thing for all of us.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 5:01 PM   #3

Hi Ted

I've found the AG100 really interesting since it was announced and was hoping that we might some of that new tech pass over to FT/m43 :

* Shown with SHG Glass on the day it was announced.
* A different sensor to the Gh2, an upgrade to the GH1's non the less but not the same as the GH2 and thats been confirmed by Pana's head of Pro vid in the uS.
* How Pana really went out of their way to listen to current users - CAnon/Sony/Pana and took on board a lot of what those users wanted. From all accounts most of them seem to be over the moon!
* How 3rd party lens adaptor manufacturers are attempting to reverse engineer and build FC into their adaptors whether they are for EOS lenses, F-mount, etc. Now how cool would that be if it was possible to get those same ppl to make adaptors for FT!
* The end users are completely open to whatever lenses they can use with the camera - I was shocked reading one guys splashing out a wedge of cash on Canon L glass in anticiptaion of FC via adaptors and the camera.
* Active participation on the DVX forum by the head of Pana's AV Pro video in the US wihin in reason. its just been refreshing and makes me wonder if Oly understands how important that can be as a tool. You can see Pana getting feedback from Pro vido guys on and actually acting on that sveral months later.
* A chance for Oly to gain traction in a totally new market for their SHG/HG lenses to users who just want the best and aren't going to be swayed by ASP, FF, FT. Its something that they should be actively working on esp as they already have some of the best glass for that camera but somehow I think Oly only seem to see "Pens" and teh m43 lens system for the future.
* Cost of the those Carl Zeiss PL primes - 10k each.. nearly feel of my seat when i saw the pricing.

Its been funny in ways to see many of the pro's looking at the FT sensor and saying its almost the same size as 135mm film that they used to use, so theres no real crop factor for them!

Cheers

HArj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 6:10 AM   #4

Harj, there has been something about the AG100 that has been bothering me but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then I was reading through some of the posts in that dvxuser thread you provided and I realized what my problem with that camera is.

I mentioned that every movement you make when shooting video must be done slowly in order to not disorient your audience. Well that includes zooming a lens, which is why pro video lenses have built-in power zoom and that zoom is pretty slow. (The cameras also have a wired remote rocker switch that attaches to the tripod handle so you can activate the power zoom without touching the camera.) Not only is that not available in the DSLR lenses the AG100 is designed to accomodate, but apparently the camera doesn't even have the electrical contacts in the lens mount to allow it if a lens did have a zoom motor.

I really wonder how many pros will buy that camera when they find this out.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote