Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 4, 2010, 3:00 PM   #1

Default So I took my camera sailing...!

By popular demand! We, Terry and I, went out to work on my motor the other day. That was my excuse anyway.
It's been dificult to start so we had a clean out day. Not that we use it much, we normally hoist the rags, toss off the mooring line and go. Coming back I'll just come up into the wind and just drift to the buoy.

Anyway, I had the camera in the car so took it along. We decided to motor up to Deception Pass at the top of Whidbey Island (11.5 miles) to give the motor a good run, that and there was light fog and no wind. The fog cleared and a nice comfortable breeze came up for the return trip, 11 miles under spinaker....How cool was that.

Here's 5 pics couple of the shoreline when we got in close one of the (ubiguous) Mt Baker in October. Deception Pass bridge out to the Straights of Juana Fuca. (Good old Wanda Fuca.) Almost got in the narrows on an out going tide. That would have been a loooong ride home the other way.
E500, 70-300
Attached Images

Last edited by Scouse; Oct 4, 2010 at 3:02 PM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2010, 3:16 PM   #2

Go ahead, make us all envious!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 3:51 PM   #3

Ken, please stop doing this. The best sailing I ever had was running a 50' sloop in the Strait of Juan de Fuca but that was many years ago. I could live with these photos except you said you go south for the winter. That was the last straw - I just don't want to hear about this anymore.

But the photos are great.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 4:03 PM   #4

It would make me feel better if you posted pix consistent with the Sailor's Dictionary:

Sailing def. An experience duplicated by wearing a rubber MacIntosh and standing in a cold water shower while slowly ripping up $100 bills.

At least with pix like that I'd be OK condemned to being a landlubber at this point in my life...

Ted
Old Oct 4, 2010, 4:32 PM   #5

Hi Ken,

Great job on capturing the scale of Mt. Baker in image 2. I really like the different layers of the landscape beginning with the water then going from low shore to intermediate hills then Mt. Baker.

The trees in frame 3 are outstanding. We just don't have any trees that grow to that height, here on the East coast.

Thanks for sharing....
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 4:48 PM   #6

Ha, all that money..! I'm a cheap sailor, (Cheap period ) rescued the boat from a blackberry patch, the sails are originals and I put my own (read free) mooring down and the dinghy was free from a friends yard.

A 50 footer now that's a boat, my 26 footer is just fine for single handing though.
From this time of the year I'd rather be sailing Tampa Bay, now that'd be really cool...warm!

The photos look a little muddy here. They looked fine in my files.
Attached Images

Last edited by Scouse; Oct 4, 2010 at 4:54 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
A 50 footer now that's a boat, my 26 footer is just fine for single handing though.
From this time of the year I'd rather be sailing Tampa Bay, now that'd be really cool...warm!...................................... .....

Hey Ken: Sometimes we see some pretty nifty sailing vessels down here!

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 8:10 PM   #8

Mighty scenic, Ken! You did a nice job capturing the mood of the area.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:09 PM   #9

Mr Christian....! Arrrgh. I've read the Nordoff/Hall books a couple of times over the years Steven.

Thanks Ziggy, hard not to take pics of Mt Baker (10,777ft) in fact half the photos I took that day had Baker in, when we started it was just the peak, peeking out of the fog.

You're 'sounding' stronger Gary. Thanks for the comments.
Attached Images

Last edited by Scouse; Oct 4, 2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 6:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
...rescued the boat from a blackberry patch, the sails are originals and I put my own (read free) mooring down and the dinghy was free from a friends yard.

You really did find it in a blackberry patch? Your restoration looks terrific. Any photos of it when you first got it?

I wasn't single-handing the 50 footer (I'm a competent but not expert sailor), there were a few of us that rented it together. Nevertheless, driving it was really great. As were the orcas swimming alongside, the bald eagles flying overhead...

Ted