Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:00 AM   #1

Default A couple of birds PP using ACR 6.2

Today is the first chance that I've had to play around a bit with some bird images captured using ISO 1600 and ISO 1000 then post processed in ACR v6.2

The images were taken with the E-30 50-200mm ED combination in manual mode. It is raining and quite gloomy out. Making this a perfect time to see how clean the images would come out.

The 1st is a black capped chickadee and the 2nd a Tufted Titmouse. No other PP was used other than Adobe's camera raw plug-in v6.2

So far, I'm liking the results this new software can provide.

P.S. the white streaks are rain drops. The shots were taken through a glass storm window. Notice how thin the depth of field is.
Zig
Attached Images

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:25 AM   #2

Nice Ziggy! Crisp shots, I see what you mean with the DOF, sharp as a tack up front with a slightly fuzzy tail. Shows the high ISO on the tail as well but better than me at 400ISO.
Well composed photos.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:45 AM   #3

Good stuff! You have yourself a nice vantage-point to be shooting these, Zig.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Nice Ziggy! Crisp shots, I see what you mean with the DOF, sharp as a tack up front with a slightly fuzzy tail. Shows the high ISO on the tail as well but better than me at 400ISO.
Well composed photos.
Hi Ken,

Thanks. Having owned the E-500 then the E-510, I can safely say that the E-30 provides the best OOC jpeg files of the three. While I liked the image quality of the E-500, I didn't stray much beyond ISO800 too often.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Good stuff! You have yourself a nice vantage-point to be shooting these, Zig.

Hi Greg,

You're right as the vantage point makes it possible for me to get really close up shots that I ,otherwise, would not be able to make. It's funny, however, as I think, there is such a thing as being too close to the subject. The birds are generally 3ft from the lens creating a real depth of field issue for me.

The chickadees and Titmouse are some of the quickest birds with unbelievably
erratic moves. This makes them a challenge for me to photograph them.
Zig

By the way, on another topic, but related have you upgraded the firmware in your 50-200mm SWD lens as yet? and if so, have you been able to compare the performance of that lens vs the older 50-200mm ED lens.

Reason for the question is that I have the 50-200mm ED version and would like to upgrade based on some of things I've read to this point relative to improved AF speed on the SWD.

Old Oct 5, 2010, 5:29 PM   #6

My experience shooting with the SWD version at the baseball game I went to last week really is not a good barometer because I shot the entire game with the EC20 mounted and should have taken it off and tried just the lens by itself.

There wasn't much action around the bases to do much with until that last inning when the Rangers won on a walk-off strike out where the catcher threw the ball into right field and the guy on first cicled the bases and scored. I was so amazed at what I was seeing I never brought the camera up to my face and took a shot!

A couple of plays where I thought I had captured a good action image, I had continuous AF on and failed to press the AE/AF lock to focus the darn lens and so had nice, out of focus pictures for the effort. Brain lock.

Last night I purchased my first Stars' NHL tickets for the season....a game vs. Phoenix on November 5. That will be a really good baraometer, being able to track the continually moving puck or a specific player around the ice.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 5:45 PM   #7

Thanks for the comeback, Greg.

Is it hockey time already?

Old Oct 5, 2010, 6:19 PM   #8

Nice and sharp! Is that a cobweb on it's beak in the second pic?
mva2912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 6:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva2912 View Post
Nice and sharp! Is that a cobweb on it's beak in the second pic?
Yes, that actually is a cobweb or something on his beak. I saw it when I was in the middle of PP.
Decided to let it let it go. Glad you were able to spot it.

Zig

Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:19 PM   #10

Excellent shots zig.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote