Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:22 AM   #11

Default Show me the money

Take a look at the E-5 photos here, and be sure to scroll down to the money shots:

http://translate.google.com/translat...D11635%26p%3D1
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:12 AM   #12

Hi Ted

Just checking those out as we write.... the IQ is looking very good at ISO1600 and IS3200 ain't bad at all. I'd like to see some more real world pics in low light and high iSO but IQ looks very promising and I'm assuming theyre using the 50mm macro lens for the shoots ?

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
...I'm assuming theyre using the 50mm macro lens for the shoots ?

Harj
On page 1 it says "Zostały one wykonane przy wyłączonej redukcji szumu, przy użyciu obiektywu Zuiko 50 mm f/2.0."

("They were made at the noise reduction off, using the lens Zuiko 50 mm f/2.0")
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:58 PM   #14

I had a quick look at the Ep2 at ISO800 for the same shot:

http://www.fotopolis.pl/download/ep2_pob2ISO800.jpg

Looks a wee bit underexposed and they had to stop down to F8 @ 1/40s for it ...

I cant really make a comparison as the screen at home is pretty useless but from what I can make out the E5's IS1600 is holding up very well - definitely sharper but then again their used the 50mm F2 and theres nothing on the m43 lenses that are going to match it although the panaleica 45mm f2.8 might be close.

Cheers

HArj
Old Oct 6, 2010, 3:11 PM   #15

I'm perfectly happy with my E-620. However, if someone were to GIVE me one... heheheh
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:01 AM   #16

As I am not hugely invested in olympus stuff, I am actually selling it all in a four thirds forum and I am going to buy a d7000.

I have about $1200 worth of olympus gear. I had decided to invest about $1500 in a new camera. My choices were to either sell my current body for some $300 and use that and the rest on an e-5 and keep using my current lenses, or sell everything I have, and spend the $1200 from the sales and the $1500 I wanted to spend on a new nikon system. I thought there was a lot more value and quality in the latter.

On one hand, it is harder and more expensive to replace some of my favorite lenses, like the 50mmf2 and the 14-54, but on the other the difference in price between the d7000 and the e-5 is quite significant, and for everything else other than lenses the nikon system is a lot cheaper (e.g. compare the price of flashes and extension tubes).
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:44 AM   #17

If i don't switch systems I just hope that enough people buy an E-5 that the E-30 and E-3 come down in price.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 7:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpin View Post
As I am not hugely invested in olympus stuff, I am actually selling it all in a four thirds forum and I am going to buy a d7000.

I have about $1200 worth of olympus gear. I had decided to invest about $1500 in a new camera. My choices were to either sell my current body for some $300 and use that and the rest on an e-5 and keep using my current lenses, or sell everything I have, and spend the $1200 from the sales and the $1500 I wanted to spend on a new nikon system. I thought there was a lot more value and quality in the latter.

On one hand, it is harder and more expensive to replace some of my favorite lenses, like the 50mmf2 and the 14-54, but on the other the difference in price between the d7000 and the e-5 is quite significant, and for everything else other than lenses the nikon system is a lot cheaper (e.g. compare the price of flashes and extension tubes).
Hi,

I certainly respect anyone's wishes to change systems for whatever reason it may be. My thinking has always been ; Life's too short get what you need to make you happy.

When you do pick up your D7000 I, for one, would appreciate your assessment of the D7000 and associated lenses as to how it compares to your previous Oly system.

If you feel uncomfortable posting your assessment on this forum, you can either send me a pm or post it on the Nikon DSLR forum and just send me a short note alerting me.

I would very much appreciate it. Thanks in advance

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 7:45 AM   #19

Hey Zig

Nicely put.. i personally wouldn't have a problem with Dlpin posting his thoughts on the D7000. This is where Oly is really wrong in their FT decision by forcing existing the E5xx/4xx/6xx users who want a new camera to either get an e5 which for many will be too much of a price increase (E30 was perfect for this) or switch system.

Cheers

Harj
Old Oct 7, 2010, 8:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hey Zig

Nicely put.. i personally wouldn't have a problem with Dlpin posting his thoughts on the D7000. This is where Oly is really wrong in their FT decision by forcing existing the E5xx/4xx/6xx users who want a new camera to either get an e5 which for many will be too much of a price increase (E30 was perfect for this) or switch system.

Cheers

Harj
Thanks Harj,

I'm always interested in getting a comparison of different camera brands from people who have had first hand experience using an Olympus system.
It's to get educated about the competition and their capabilities. I'm also glad you take no issue with perhaps Dlpin posting his thoughts on this forum.
BUT, I can see how someone else may not agree.

As for Olympus, they certainly seem to be giving up the FourThirds system at an odd time, which, to me, is a shame. With all the recent improvements made to the sensor, processor, alias filter, etc. Olympus has, IMHO, the ability to produce very competitive cameras.

They have always had comparatively great kit lenses, some of the best SHG and SWD lenses (i.e. 12-60mm lens), and the 50mm 2.0 macro is arguably the best macro lens out there.

I wish nothing but success for Olympus as I would like to continue to add SHG lenses and feel somewhat confident that I'm not wasting my time and money. But by releasing the E-5 @1,699.00 USD with no thoughts about a lower priced DSLR to entice newcomers to the brand, the future looks rather barren.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote